Drone Boats: A PVP and PVE Guide (or Please Save the Myrms!)

Forum rules
This forum can be viewed by the public.
<<

Daniel Wittaker

Portrait

Post 2013.12.19 00:11

Re: Drone Boats: A PVP and PVE Guide (or Please Save the Myrms!)

Jax Acami wrote:Best drone guide I've read. Thank you! You convinced me to go through with Sentry Drone V, Drone Interfacing and Heavy Drones V! Still 77 days left until all drone skills are completed, but after that I will never have to train a single drone skill again :D

Heavy drones aren't the best investment. Even I don't have them T2'd.
<<

Robert Pahtrell

Portrait

Post 2013.12.19 04:44

Daniel Wittaker wrote:Heavy drones aren't the best investment. Even I don't have them T2'd.

I remember the first (and only) time I launched a set of heavy drones while running a security mission. I ordered them to attack, and then waited while they made their way to the target....

...and waited....

...and waited....

I had heard they were slow, but I had no idea just how *ridiculously* slow they really were. I finally just recalled them and blasted the target with guns while waiting for them to dock up.

So, with that in mind, T2 sentries are definitely very close on my skill plan, but T2 heavies are honestly not something I am worrying about, at least for the time being. From what I have seen of heavies compared to sentries, the sentry drones are certainly more valuable in more situations.
<<

Daniel Wittaker

Portrait

Post 2013.12.19 12:18

The only thing I've actually seen T2 heavies on was a max-gank Vexor, because 1xheavy + 2xmedium + 1x light is the best on-paper DPS. Realistically, however, five mediums are easier to use, do almost as much paper DPS, and probably do better DPS in most situations anyway.
<<

Kelon Darklight

Portrait

Post 2014.02.05 16:14

I have T2 heavies, and while they are useful I would consider getting t2 sentries and/or drone interfacing V to be a better investment. This is because heavies are nearly useless in pve now due to drone aggro changes and even when I use my prophecy I am generally using valks as facing targets where you can use heavy drone dps effectively is rare.

Got to say, spending my learning refund all on drones paid off, only took me 20-25 seconds to get sentry, heavy, and drone interfacing V :)
Champion of Tash-Murkon
<<

Shirralia

Portrait

Post 2014.02.05 16:24

I do kind of regret spending time on training T2 heavies, I feel the 2 weeks or so (I think that's how long it took, anyway) could have spent training more useful skills, but I'm hoping at some point in the future they change heavies to actually be useful (along with a general drone overhaul to be a more interesting weapon system.
<<

Caris Visteen

Portrait

Post 2014.02.05 21:25

Thanks for this guide! I am planning to use drone boats for missions, and your guide helped me a lot :D
<<

Ceilidh Brinalle

Portrait

Post 2014.02.07 18:16

What, still no love for the Space Turkey? I mean Prophesy? Fine, Ill take a stab at it.

It’s a different ship then the Myrm, and needs to be respected as that. Its faster (surprising, as it’s an Amarr ship), tougher (not surprising, as it’s an Amarr ship), has slightly better cap, a bigger drone bay, but can’t fly as many drones. And frankly, it’s MORE flexible, even if it can’t quite do the same damage.

Let’s start at the top:
5 high slots, 4 turrets or 4 launchers.
4 Mids
7 (!) lows.

With a larger bay (225), and smaller bandwidth (75) then the Myrmidon, it has some issues. But having the extra space to fit a full flight of light drones still isn’t anything to sneeze at. Recommendations for exactly what to bring vary, but 3 sentries, 3 heavies, 5 medium ECMs, and 5 lights is a good place to start. Obviously this can change depending on your mission parameters.

An interesting advantage this hull has over the Myrm. is the ability to fit launchers. It’s a strange mini- rattlesnake. But with no weapon damage bonuses, it’s open to fit anything per mission requirements. As a sniper boat it can use Bouncers and Beams to hit at a great optimal range, with no ammo costs, making it the perfect POS bashing BC. Or super long range, with Heavy Missiles and Wardens (though you’d need to use 2 drone control mods and a sensor booster). And it can wreck the face of smaller assault frigates with Warrior drones and RLMS launchers at close range. Or deploy Ogres and blasters and brawl like a champ. Or play mini carrier, and fit nuets.

It’s a complicated ship in PvE, but again, with the full spread of selectable damage types in turret, missile, or drone, you can hit the weakest resist of a rat. Never mind the HUGE number of lows, allowing for truly massive DPS ( 2 mag stabs, 3 drone damage amps, and still 2 slots for a 1600mm plate and an ENAM) or a really lazy afk tank (5 resist mods, a repper and 1 cap mod). Its buffer tank is where this ship shines over the Myrm, as at BC5 it has the equivalent of a meta 0 800mm plate and slightly less than a meta 0 ENAM, for free.

Of course the down side is it can be a very SP intensive ship to fly with all these options. It has LESS fitting then the Myrm, and it does have weaker sensors all around, and a slightly larger sig. It’s faster than the Myrm in a straight line, but less agile and heavier, and it’s time to warp is just scary slow if it’s got any extra armor rigs or mods. Also, its just plain UGLY.
Image Image Image ImageImage
<<

River Wanderer

Portrait

Post 2014.02.22 17:24

Thanks, I looked at the list of Gallente ships as a newb and immediately said "drones! I can be lazy and let them do the work!" I do think I will have to rethink my love of long-range railguns, though, since it seems the Gallente ships are designed with short-range brawling in mind. I will throw more points in tanking as you suggested, since I already am getting pretty deep in drone skills.
<<

JackyDawg Pyrous

Portrait

Post 2014.03.12 17:36

Lets not forget the Armageddon! Can field a full flight of Heavies/Sentries, pretty durable, and has neuting bonuses! Doesn't have the tracking/optimal bonus like the domi, though. Not as well suited for pure dmg.
<<

Byrune

Portrait

Post 2014.03.12 17:48

JackyDawg Pyrous wrote:Lets not forget the Armageddon! Can field a full flight of Heavies/Sentries, pretty durable, and has neuting bonuses! Doesn't have the tracking/optimal bonus like the domi, though. Not as well suited for pure dmg.

Note how this was written almost 2 years ago, before most ships got rebalanced. Since Alarien is on a hiatus, someone could update and wikify it if they have tons of free time.
I need a new sig
<<

Maximus Vaiks

Portrait

Post 2014.03.19 19:48

This is an awesome guide. I love how you are honest in setting the proper expectations on what skills it takes to get these ships up to par. I am very new, I might have 1mill SP. I started my Vexor last night. I only had 4 drones at the time but I wanted to see what the fit could do. I was able to tank a lvl 2 very easily but of course the drones took forever to kill everything. By the time I get home tonight I will have Drones V, and Drone Interfacing I, and II finished. I am looking forward to seeing what they can do with better skills.
Thanks for the guide!
<<

Lothian Scykle

Portrait

Post 2014.03.20 18:14

Just stumbled across this post, and it is right up my alley! I'm still new (only 2M SP), and have been falling into the noob trap of shotgunning my skills training. Even still, at least 1/4 of my skills are drone related. As a Gallente, I was wondering if being a drone boat pilot was a valid path, and now I see that it can be, if done properly. I'll be using this post as a guide to planning my future skill training and ship fits.

o7
<<

Hong Hu

Portrait

Post 2014.06.17 14:45

I miss Alarien.

If/when he comes back I'll be interested to see how he responds to the drone skill changes. His guide will need some revision regarding skill training and other backbone/support issues to your drone endeavors.

T2 Sentry Drones later this summer (for me).

Regards,

Hong Hu
<<

Al Badasaz

Portrait

Post 2014.06.19 02:27

Hong Hu wrote:I miss Alarien.

If/when he comes back I'll be interested to see how he responds to the drone skill changes. His guide will need some revision regarding skill training and other backbone/support issues to your drone endeavors.

T2 Sentry Drones later this summer (for me).

Regards,

Hong Hu

We miss Hong Hu if/when he comes back we'll be interested to hear him talk about leaving drones at some major airport.

Sorry for the minor derailment.
<<

Vale McLaren

Portrait

Post 2014.07.01 02:00

Thankyou for the detail on drones. Excellent detail. My Alt is just flying the Caldari Carrier. Thanks again
PreviousNext

Return to Ships, Modules, Charges and Items