Forum rules
This forum can be viewed by the public.
<<

Luca Goh

Portrait

Post 2017.05.26 17:55

Alpha Alt Hauler Race Choice

Hey y'all!

I was hoping to get some input on my choice of race for my Alt Hauler. I joined E-Uni a few days ago and am desiring the ability to move my loot to trade hubs on my own without fear of war deccers.

I have decided to set up my Alt Hauler on a separate account so that I can train its Alpha skills without taking training time away from my main, who is still very new. I'm not interested in spending additional money on the game at present and am very far away from Plexing for an account or additional training, which means I'm limited to Alpha skills and the ships that belong to the race of my Alpha clone.

Ship choice wise I'm mostly desirous of safety. I don't foresee the need to move anything especially large in the foreseeable future, so I want to prioritize speed and tank above cargo capacity.

I spent a bit of time this morning setting up a Gallente alt, but have since continued my research and discovered that the Minmatar's Wreathe is the fastest Tech 1 Industrial. I suppose my question at this point is, how superior is the Wreathe to the Nereus in terms of my priorities of safety via speed and tank? Should I opt for a Minmatar Alpha clone instead? Or is there an alternative route that I'm not yet aware of?

Thanks for any help! It's much appreciated.
ImageImageImageImage Image
ImageImage
<<

Andrew Nightshade

Portrait

Post 2017.05.26 18:42

Re: Alpha Alt Hauler Race Choice

Others can chime in about the best/fastest/safest. However I'm firmly convinced that the best alt Hauler is Gallente.

https://wiki.eveuniversity.org/Iteron_Mark_V

This is the basic hauler, but scroll down the page and look at the list of Gallente industrials. There are a series of specialized hulls that you can use to haul massive amounts of items. An ore hull, a mineral hull, a PI hull, under the list. To me, this maximizes your options.

The Minmatar have a specialized Ammo hauling ship. Anyone else have comments?

--Nightshade
It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
-- Ashleigh Brilliant
<<

Fergus Echerie

Portrait

Post 2017.05.26 20:40

I had the same dilemma a few months back when I started playing

Initially I went with Amar as I think the Bestower gets the most cargo for T1. He's now based in Jita with a Sigil and a Bestower, not sure what they can carry but not had to do any training. Safety wise it's really what your willing to risk, I ran 300m worth of PI into Jita with Bestower in 4 trips. Probably not advisable...

I now also have a PI alt who for all the reasons Andrew mentioned is Gallente, can fly Nereus, Epithal and training for Viator and Occator just now.

Guess it depends on what you need it for.
<<

Entelligente Ente

Portrait

Post 2017.05.26 21:07

If you do not mind managing many accounts (EVEMon is your friend), you can also have one alpha account per race to try them all out.

Many suggest taking Gallente because of the different haulers you can choose from. If you do not specialize in hauling Ore, Minerals, Planetary Commodities (or Ammunition, for Minmatar), you should not use those. With the racial Industrial skill you have nearly as much cargohold as a DST (but justfor the specialized type of cargo) and, like the DST, you can fit tank instead of Cargo Expanders. Due to low base HP and no skill bonuses on resistances, every ganker can/will still blow you up if you haul something more valuable than the ship(s) the ganker will lose.

Therefore you could just use a maximum cargo-expanded Bestower with two Medium Shield Extenders and an Adaptive Invlunerability Field in the Mid Slots. You will have about 5k EHP while the Adaptive Invulnerability Field is not active and about 1k EHP more if it is active, so total ~6k which is not much, but enough if you just haul your own stuff like (re-)packaged ships and some modules or other stuff that takes much space but has very little value. With Amarr Industrial V, two T2 and one T1 Cargohold Rig and full T2 Cargohold Expanders in the Lows it has 42684,7 m³ cargohold which is slightly lower than what the specialized Industrials have, but more than any other non-specialized T1 Industrial can have. With T2 rigs it costs less than 26 M in Jita, if you just use T1 it costs less than 12 M. You can also always have a full set of T2 Inertial Stabilizers to swap them with the Cargohold Expanders for shorter align time if your cargo bay is not full.

You should not haul anything valuable in a T1 Industrial anyway as you will lose it. Better use UNI-Hauling services or RedFrog, PushX or public contracts, because others have access to ships with more EHP which therefore enable them to haul higher value cargo while the risk of being ganked is not increased due to equal cargo value per EHP or the risk is even lower since more EHP requires interaction between more gankers or some ganker with many accounts which is less likekly than a single ganker hanging around somewhere.

Another problem regarding the Minmatar ammo hauler is that you can only jetcan the ammunition to fleet or corp members while DSTs and Orcas have Fleet Hangars that can be directly accessed by Corp or Fleet members if enabled. Therefore you can only use it for hauling, not to take your ammo with you on a battle. Not to mention that you will get blown up immidiately because of your low EHP.

For Distribution missions, every race has, additional to the standard hauler (Tayra, Iteron Mark V, Mammoth, Bestower) which is slow but has a large cargohold, also a fast hauler that has a smaller cargohold but aligns and warps faster which is sufficient for many Distribution missions if you intend to try them. If you somehow should not have enough cargohold, just have some Cargohold Expanders in your cargohold to equip them in your lows.

TLDR: I recommend Amarr because the Bestower has the largest Cargohold and the specialized haulers have little use. Or make an alpha account for every race to try out everything.

Hauling gets much more interesting with an omega clone were you have access to Blockade Runners, Deep Space Transporters, Freighters and Jump Freighters. To some extent also the Orca can be seen as a hauling ship. If you are interested, feel free to read the related wiki page.
Last edited by Entelligente Ente on 2017.05.28 07:31, edited 3 times in total.
<<

Luca Goh

Portrait

Post 2017.05.26 21:20

Thanks for the feedback you two.

Yeah, I had opted for Gallente for the versatility that's been mentioned. Right now my concerns are to be able to transport my own loot safely as can be for sale in trade hubs and possibly set up a character for PI/Industrial work in the future. Starting nearby High Sec Campus, where my main is located, was a nice if non-essential perk too.

I'd still be curious if anyone thinks the speed of the Wreathe makes it a clearly better choice than something like a Nereus when it comes to safely transporting smaller shipments, or if the Nereus fast warp fitting on the wiki will be functionally equivalent from an Alpha skillset standpoint. Like you both referenced in different ways I'm fine with the utility of this character evolving over time. I just love to get as much information as possible whenever I start considering a new part of EVE!

Edit: Cheers for the great set of information, Ente! Lots to chew over. The referenced advantage of Omega clones is definitely something to consider in terms of the future of this or another of my Alt Haulers...
ImageImageImageImage Image
ImageImage
<<

Entelligente Ente

Portrait

Post 2017.05.27 13:38

If you want to transport loot, you can use any of the "fast" T1 Industrials (Wreathe, Nereus, Sigil, Badger) since loot volume is rather small. Just fit them with a decent amount of tank and make sure you do not use armor plates or you have only little benefit from the inertia bonus of the fast haulers.
<<

Fergus Echerie

Portrait

Post 2017.06.02 09:34

Hello again,

Not sure where you got with this but I survived 2 attacks today in this while moving stuff through Null/Low

SPOILER WARNING!
[Nereus, Runner]
Damage Control I
Nanofiber Internal Structure II
Warp Core Stabilizer I
Warp Core Stabilizer I
Warp Core Stabilizer I

Medium Shield Extender II
10MN Y-S8 Compact Afterburner
Medium Shield Extender II
50MN Y-T8 Compact Microwarpdrive
Adaptive Invulnerability Field II

Improved Cloaking Device II

Medium Polycarbon Engine Housing I
Medium Polycarbon Engine Housing I
Medium Core Defense Field Extender I

Core Scanner Probe I x8

You can obv change out whats not Alpha viable but seems to work just fine, the probes and launcher are incase I start hauling out of WH's so you can prob ignore that. :D
<<

Cassiel Seraphim

Portrait

Campus Manager
Campus Manager

Post 2017.06.02 11:00

Alpha clones, to the best of my knowledge, cannot use T2 invulns nor any cloaks whatsoever. So you cannot use the MWD + cloak trick on an industrial as an Alpha clone.
<<

Zeerse Solaris

Portrait

Post 2017.06.02 11:47

I don't think it matters a whole lot. If you planning on mining then gallente for reasons above but also, they have quick aligning frigates for small valuable loads (correctly fit Atron with some decent spaceship command skills, aligns in under 2 seconds).

Any generic hauling is much more about isk value to avoid ganks than volume. My Jita freighter runs are because I haul 1b of isk value, not because I want to haul 1m m3 (or even tanked 300k m3). So yes, a bestower might let you carry 150m of stuff fully expanded, but it might never complete the journey.

If you're hauling high volumes of low value stuff, then theres a question on why, whats the point? (high volume of low value ratting modules may be better just reprocessed into minerals for sale).
E-uni Teacher:: Apply to be a teacher
E-uni Mentor: Apply to be a mentor
<<

Fergus Echerie

Portrait

Post 2017.06.02 12:19

All very true, however until us new players have the skills for freighers or anywhere near 1b worth of stuff to move we do what we can.
<<

Entelligente Ente

Portrait

Post 2017.06.02 13:32

Zeerse Solaris wrote:If you're hauling high volumes of low value stuff, then theres a question on why, whats the point? (high volume of low value ratting modules may be better just reprocessed into minerals for sale).

Maybe he is a "hoarder" who does not want to sell stuff that he might have a use for in distant future.

Actually there is a real situation where you want lots of volume to haul low value stuff as a new player: When you want to try out solo low-sec roaming and therefore intend to deposit many frigates or destroyers in a station in the last HighSec-system to get back into action faster.

Since he said he wants to transport loot he can use any of the fast T1 Industrials since the cargo volume is low. Although it is possible to reprocess the loot and use the Gallente mineral hauler for less runs, it is a bad idea if you take the reprocessing fee and the likely lack of the Scrapmetal Processing skill into account.
<<

Zeerse Solaris

Portrait

Post 2017.06.02 18:11

Fergus Echerie wrote:All very true, however until us new players have the skills for freighers or anywhere near 1b worth of stuff to move we do what we can.

That was just an example of scale i.e. you may think the larger haulers are for moving bigger volumes but not really.
Last edited by Zeerse Solaris on 2017.06.02 18:24, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Zeerse Solaris

Portrait

Post 2017.06.02 18:24

Entelligente Ente wrote:
Maybe he is a "hoarder" who does not want to sell stuff that he might have a use for in distant future.

Actually there is a real situation where you want lots of volume to haul low value stuff as a new player: When you want to try out solo low-sec roaming and therefore intend to deposit many frigates or destroyers in a station in the last HighSec-system to get back into action faster.

Since he said he wants to transport loot he can use any of the fast T1 Industrials since the cargo volume is low. Although it is possible to reprocess the loot and use the Gallente mineral hauler for less runs, it is a bad idea if you take the reprocessing fee and the likely lack of the Scrapmetal Processing skill into account.

Not if you take into account at a lesser hub there may not even be orders for every t1 meta item, and theres still an isk per hour consideration, that alt doing almost anything else would help the main make more isk.

So if the volume is faction drops and higher value meta modules, then a frigate is actually the best advice if fit to align in under 2 seconds. This Atron can carry 145m3, so an average sized module is 5m3 = 29 modules.

SPOILER WARNING!
[Atron, T1 Fast Travel]
Type-D Restrained Inertial Stabilizers

Medium Shield Extender I
Small Shield Extender I
Upgraded EM Ward Amplifier I

Small Hyperspatial Velocity Optimizer I
<<

HyperFlareX

Portrait

Post 2017.06.06 23:13

You should not haul anything valuable in a T1 Industrial anyway as you will lose it. Better use UNI-Hauling services or RedFrog, PushX or public contracts

Seconding this. If you move stuff that's halfway valuable, use opublic contracts. "Haulers channel" will give you feedback on your contract and they are usually done very fast. Sometimes spending money on people doing things for you is actually better in terms of efficiency, as you can use the saved time for lucrative activities (and hauling at the sub-T2 hauler level sure isn't).

If you just want a char on hand for the occasional hauling, definitely go Gallente. The iteron V can just carry a massive amount of (hopefully cheap!) stuff.

Return to Ships, Modules, Charges and Items