EANMs, Nano Platings, Alpha Clones, and You

Forum rules
This forum can be viewed by the public.
<<

Adree Jericho

Portrait

Post 2016.12.09 15:51

EANMs, Nano Platings, Alpha Clones, and You

So I was looking over the boats from last weeks frigate Fight Club, and I noticed something quite odd. It's worth knowing about and sharing considering that we have all these alpha clones that we're trying to find fits for. New general rule of thumb:

Energized Adaptive Nano Membrane should never be used below tech II.

The reason is a truly odd quirk of the progression of EANMs vs. another module: Adaptive Nano Plating.

According to Armor Tanking 101, Nano Plating is the little brother of EANM. Both modules do the same thing, but EANMs can give you higher resistance in exchange for some CPU power. This is best demonstrated by the tech II versions of these modules where you get almost 5% extra resist out of the EANM. So our rule of thumb has been that you use EANM if you can spare the CPU, you use Nano Plating if you can't.

However this is oddly not true of of the Tech I meta variants. While it's true that the meta 0 Nano Plating only has 8% resists while the meta 0 EANM has 15% resists, the meta level progression for each module is quite different. For Nano Plating each meta level scales up the resistances. EANM on the other hand have a meta progression that scales down the CPU requirements. However the resistance (15% baseline) remains the same until tech II. Check it out:

EANMs
  Code:
Level 0: 30 CPU / 15.00% resist
Level 1: 28 CPU / 15.00% resist
Level 2: 27 CPU / 15.00% resist
Level 3: 25 CPU / 15.00% resist
Level 4: 24 CPU / 15.00% resist

Nano Platings
  Code:
Level 0:  0 CPU /  8.00% resist
Level 1:  0 CPU /  9.84% resist
Level 2:  0 CPU / 11.70% resist
Level 3:  0 CPU / 13.50% resist
Level 4:  0 CPU / 15.40% resist

Notice that last bit: Meta 4 Nano Plating has 15.4% resistances across the board and still has zero CPU requirements.

It's the damndest thing, but the meta 4 Nano Plating is strictly superior to all other tech I variants of both the Nano Plating AND the EANMs. It has slightly higher resists than meta 4 EANM, drops the CPU requirement entirely, and even has lower skill requirements.

This is especially important to an alpha clone: Normally an Omega who wants max (affordable) resists automatically reaches for tech II EANM, which gives you 20% resists - the highest of both EANM and Nano Plating. But the tech II EANM is not available to an alpha clone, which makes the best-in-class affordable resist module for alphas the 'Refuge' Adaptive Nano Plating I. The tech II Nano Plating is also usable, and is identical across the board to the meta 4, but is oddly more expensive, and is in that way inferior.

I may have overlooked something in this analysis, and if so please point it out. But if it's true, this means that we should immediately pull any tech I EANMs out of low-skill / Alpha fits and replace them with meta 4 Nano Plating. In doing so we can get some extra performance out of any alpha fits we post up. Not only can you squeeze out just a little bit of extra EHP, but in doing so those ships also have more CPU to work with, which might open up other interesting possibilities as well.

Ever since I became aware of it, I've been on the lookout for tech I EANMs to excise. I think a lot of them are slipping through to low-skill alpha-clone fits because people are taking standard Omega fits and simply downgrading tech II EANMs to tech I and calling it good. Most likely we're applying that generic rule that EANMs > Nano Plating because we're assuming that since it's true of tech II, it must also be true of tech I. But it sure isn't.

Check and update your fits!

Edit: Changed all instances of "ENAM" to "EANM." Derp.
Last edited by Adree Jericho on 2016.12.11 18:00, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Titus Tallang

Portrait

Director of Education
Director of Education

Post 2016.12.09 16:48

Re: ENAMs, Nano Platings, Alpha Clones, and You

Yup, this is one of those quirks of non-tiericided modules.

Good catch :thumbleft:
Scientia potentia est.
If a statement I made seems offensive to you, please be assured that this was not my intent.
If I am mistaken about something, please tell me about it. We improve through sharing knowledge.
<<

Budda Sereda

Portrait

Fittings Manager
Fittings Manager

Post 2016.12.10 22:20

Yeah, that's a nice catch!

Thanks for sharing this!

Though I believe not ENAM, but EANM (Energized Adaptive Nano Membrane)? Or that is just a 'standard' abbreviation which is even though not right, get used widely?
Join in-game "Budda's Fleet" channel for impromptu activities and quick updates on my future fleets.
<<

Cassiel Seraphim

Portrait

Campus Manager
Campus Manager

Post 2016.12.10 22:50

It's often pronounced "ENAM" (because it's annoying to pronounce E.A.N.M. and people are lazy) but should always be written as "EANM".
<<

Adree Jericho

Portrait

Post 2016.12.11 17:51

Cassiel Seraphim wrote:It's often pronounced "ENAM" (because it's annoying to pronounce E.A.N.M. and people are lazy) but should always be written as "EANM".

Wow, I kind of derped that one. I never even thought about the letter order. And I'm the one most often saying it. :P

Return to Ships, Modules, Charges and Items