Combat Utility and EWAR drones - When do you use them?

Forum rules
This forum can be viewed by the public.
<<

Lunaria Veil (Biomassed 2018.04.15)

Portrait

Post 2018.03.22 17:42

Combat Utility and EWAR drones - When do you use them?

So I'm curious to get folks' opinions on combat utility and ewar drones. When would you use them? Basic modules seem to be better for the particular task, and modules on bonused hulls are far superior. So why bother? Why/when would you use:

Stasis web drones?
Energy neut drones?
Target painting drones?
Sensor dampener drones?
Tracking disruption drones?

ECM drones have obvious uses, as do logistics and of course combat damage drones. But what about the rest? Small gang PvP, so make up for missing roles? Incursions to get more webs/target paints on stuff? Sleeper sites? Can you even damp/TD rats?

I welcome any discussion because I'm genuinely curious as to why these things even exist.
<<

Titus Tallang

Portrait

Director of Special Projects
Director of Special Projects

Post 2018.03.22 18:23

Re: Combat Utility and EWAR drones - When do you use them?

Neut drones have use cases due to their low cycle time. You can use them to keep a fully neuted target dry more effectively than you can with ship-based neuts.

All the others are all-around terrible due to stacking penalties.
Scientia potentia est.
If a statement I made seems offensive to you, please be assured that this was not my intent.
If I am mistaken about something, please tell me about it. We improve through sharing knowledge.
<<

dewk

Portrait

Post 2018.08.19 00:17

Re: Combat Utility and EWAR drones - When do you use them?

Dependding on the ship you're using and its specific target type.

Large ships will favour TP drones to increase damage on smaller ships, or TD drones in med-long range engagements to reduced targets tracking and optim range.
Small ships can use any combo depending on if you want to stop target from running, firing, or logi'ing other ships.
The neut drones are handy, but you need to pick the right target if your ship isn't a CapWar ship, as these ship will with drones make the targets day a nightmare.

But as said before it's a case of matching the drones to match your ship fit to get the best. You'd never use a TP or TD if you're in a frigate or a fleet with ship below cruiser size, as you'd gain next to no benefit as you're hard to hit as it is, bigger ship in fleet different story.

So look a what you and your fleet are using, then look at the best drone to benefit you or the fleet as a whole. And also look at your limitations due to drone skills, as low core drone skills will kill some drone use options. Eg. Short range makes some drones not even worth bothering with.

Return to Ships, Modules, Charges and Items