Drone Boats: A PVP and PVE Guide (or Please Save the Myrms!)

Forum rules
This forum can be viewed by the public.
<<

Daniel Wittaker

Portrait

Post 2014.07.01 02:52

Re: Drone Boats: A PVP and PVE Guide (or Please Save the Myrms!)

Daniel Wittaker wrote:
Jax Acami wrote:Best drone guide I've read. Thank you! You convinced me to go through with Sentry Drone V, Drone Interfacing and Heavy Drones V! Still 77 days left until all drone skills are completed, but after that I will never have to train a single drone skill again :D

Heavy drones aren't the best investment. Even I don't have them T2'd.

Shirralia wrote:I do kind of regret spending time on training T2 heavies, I feel the 2 weeks or so (I think that's how long it took, anyway) could have spent training more useful skills, but I'm hoping at some point in the future they change heavies to actually be useful (along with a general drone overhaul to be a more interesting weapon system.

Daniel Wittaker wrote:The only thing I've actually seen T2 heavies on was a max-gank Vexor, because 1xheavy + 2xmedium + 1x light is the best on-paper DPS. Realistically, however, five mediums are easier to use, do almost as much paper DPS, and probably do better DPS in most situations anyway.

As an update, heavies are now now pretty usable.
<<

Grognard Commissar

Portrait

Post 2014.07.12 05:03

technically, by your definition, the procurer and skiff are drone boats. the procurer is probably more or less like a slow drone cruiser, but it technically could be used as a tanky, slow drone boat. same with the skiff, but extra tanky
Image ImageImage ImageImage
<<

Jason Hennessy

Portrait

Post 2014.09.02 14:30

Excellent post! I finally found something that lays out a real drone plan! Thanks!
<<

Moza Khesanh

Portrait

Post 2014.09.10 23:44

Hmmm.... I thought I had "good" drone skills... but it turns out I still have months to go! :(
<<

Sehrta Farenz

Portrait

Post 2014.10.01 17:14

Hi,
I just read the OP, which is an awesome post that gave me pointers to further Skills and ways to Drone Boat the game.

Everyone (and the OP) tells me T2 drones are the way to go. But frankly, when I fly them they drop like flies. I can't recall them fast enough. Considering the price of a T2 drone this not only hurt my feelings, but also my wallet.

What am I doing wrong? What should I consider, what should I skill?

TIA
SF
<<

Jorn Rayl

Portrait

Post 2014.10.01 18:14

Sehrta Farenz wrote:Hi,
I just read the OP, which is an awesome post that gave me pointers to further Skills and ways to Drone Boat the game.

Everyone (and the OP) tells me T2 drones are the way to go. But frankly, when I fly them they drop like flies. I can't recall them fast enough. Considering the price of a T2 drone this not only hurt my feelings, but also my wallet.

What am I doing wrong? What should I consider, what should I skill?

TIA
SF

I am by no means an expert at drones, but the two skills that come to mind are drone navigation and drone durability. Navigation will make your drones faster, making them harder to hit and run away faster when recalled (this may not be completely true since I'm not sure if the skill affects their MWD speed). Durability is an extra 5% to shield/armor/hull hp per level, making them last longer.

Aside from those skills, in PVE you should make sure to get the enemies to attack you before you launch your drones my shooting them first, and continue to shoot them while your drones chew away to keep the aggro. If one drone starts to take any damage, recall them then re-launch. You may want to bind keys to these actions so that you can do it quicker. On the issue of PVP with drones, I don't have the experience or knowledge for what tactics to use for them.
Image Image
<<

Daniel Wittaker

Portrait

Post 2014.10.01 23:15

You should also note that drone size impacts which mission (I'm presuming you're missioning) NPCs will attack your drones. Light drones can only be attacked by elite frigates (three-name frigs, like "Elder Corpii Buttboner" or whatever), medium drones can be attacked by all frigates, and heavy drones can be attacked by anything smaller than a BS. Sentries can be aggressed by everything.

In other areas of the game, you can use EWAR to game the NPC AI, but this isn't worthwhile or even particularly viable for you.
<<

Sehrta Farenz

Portrait

Post 2014.10.02 03:20

Jorn Rayl wrote:I am by no means an expert at drones, but the two skills that come to mind are drone navigation and drone durability.
Hi,
thanks for your answer. I have them both already skilled to 3 as the OP recommended...

Jorn Rayl wrote:Aside from those skills, in PVE you should make sure to get the enemies to attack you before you launch your drones my shooting them first, and continue to shoot them while your drones chew away to keep the aggro.
Oh? Ok, I'll do that from now on.

Thanks
SF
<<

Zebulon Tucker

Portrait

Post 2015.04.25 11:34

I notice that the original post is from a while ago, but having read the rest of this thread I'm assuming the majority of the info is still relevant? This looks like a great resource. I'm very new (500K SP) but loving my drones. Did the SoE arc in my Tristan up until Dagan with no problems (but then had to use a blaster Catalyst to blow up his ship).

I'm currently flying an Algos (named Gru coz it has lots of minions :wink: ) in L2 missions and other than the ships' sluggishness compared to the Tristan I'm still loving my drones (only have Destroyers 2 at the moment I think).

Once my PI training plan is done, training for the Vexor is next on my list 8)

My PvP Blog ImageImage[/center]
<<

Daniel Wittaker

Portrait

Post 2015.04.25 21:12

Since the original post, heavy drones have become useful, especially if you're bonused for tracking and brawl-fit. Ishtars have gone from overpowered to cancer and back to being not-quite-cancer-good.

Successive hull sizes feel slow until you're well-skilled in the nav department and have a better handle on how to fly them. Well, double-1600 cruiser hulls feel like bricks, maybe. If you're sticking an oversize plate on your Algos, then it's gonna feel like shit. If you're PvEing with it, there's no reason to use a plate. If you're PvPing with it, I'd re-evaluate whether you wanted to use an armor tank at all, depending on what role you're trying to fill.
<<

Zebulon Tucker

Portrait

Post 2015.05.11 19:57

bought a Myrmidon and a Vexor last night (can't fly the Myrm yet). I finally caved after having to warp out of my L3 mission a few times in my Algos (but I did finally complete it and survive, and the payout more than covered the repairs :lol: ). I'm up to 1.2 million SP now, close to 400K in drones, but an Algos is hardly efficient ...though it did teach me to prioritize targets and to gtfo before going BOOM!

My PvP Blog ImageImage[/center]
<<

Aras Antollare

Portrait

Post 2015.07.10 23:43

Yeah, a T1 dessie just isn't made for L3's. That's more T1 cruiser/battlecruiser territory. As with all things Eve, "Just because you can, doesn't mean you should."
<<

Beauseant

Portrait

Post 2016.04.06 23:52

I read the wall of text.... I saw there might be a cookie coming my way for this achievement?
<<

Space Warfare Development

Portrait

Post 2017.08.29 18:15

The Drone Interfacing V skill would apply a +50% drone damage bonus. I am not sure how to interpret this bonus to all classes of drones.
Would this bonus apply to only combat drones?
Would this bonus apply to a Berserker TP-900 Heavy Target Painter Drone?
<<

HyperFlareX

Portrait

Post 2017.09.01 23:47

It would apply to all combat drones, but not the berserker because that one doesn't deal any damage. EWAR drones can't really be improved in term of their EWAR effectiveness, only speed etc.

Previous

Return to Ships, Modules, Charges and Items