Noob Exploration

For questions about exploring and wormholes.
Forum rules
This forum can be viewed by the public.
Griss Blade

Noob Exploration

Post by Griss Blade »

I have only been playing a few weeks and have mostly been working at doing exporation of Data and Relic sites in Hi Sec. I have found this to be tedious and not very profitable. Also there is a lot of compitiion.
From what I have read and the videos I have seen it looks like doing exploration in Nul Sec would be a lot more enjoyable. From what I understand the way to do this is to Navigate Wormholes to get there.
Any advice for a noob such as Corps to join and sires to view would be very helpful.
Most of what I have found is for more advanced players or has little to no information.
Just need to get pointed in the right direction.
Laden Kanenald

Re: Noob Exploration

Post by Laden Kanenald »

Hey Griss, exploration in HS is really not worth the effort. Doing data/relic sites in wormholes has the advantage that it can be done from anywhere, so no need to get into nullsec first. My suggestions would be:

1. Read up on wormholes in the Wiki, get familiar with the different classes and where you should go and what you should avoid (tl;dr: only do C1-C3 wormholes).

2. Before you do a site in a wormhole, check up on the Wiki for what you can expect (tl;dr: don't do anything that's called "Unsecured" or "Forgotten").

3. Use the T1 exploration frigate, fit it with a probe launcher, a cloaking device (if you don't have the skill for that, train it up), data/relic analyzer, an afterburner, and a cargo scanner. Get 16 core scanner probes (8 in your launcher, 8 in your cargo, so they auto-reload, and you have a backup set in case you lose some). Use free slots to fit for speed/agility, because you're only way of survival will be to get away before another player can catch you. You will want an align time of <3 seconds.

4a. Set up your keyboard shortcuts properly, especially the d-scan command (I have it on my space bar, so I can hit it every second or so). I also have "m" set to increase scanner probe radius, "n" decrease radius, "b" to scan. So my usual thing is "n", "b", space to scan. Detach the probe scanner window from the solar system map and place it somewhere on the edge of the screen: you don't need to see the map all the time, but you will want to see the probe scanner window with the signatures all the time (F9 does the job).

4b. Make your scanning efficient: the solar system map is in 2D, double clicking it will rotate it such that you can see the third plane. So: drag your scanner probes to the anomaly you want to scan --> you have two of the three dimensions right; now double click the map and drag the scanner probes to the anomaly again (usually just straight up/down or left/right) --> now the probes are centred in all three dimensions with just two drags and one double-click, no need to turn the map manually and rotate stuff and such. Adjust the scanning range down (in my case: shortcut "n"), scan ("b") and do a quick d-scan (space).

5. Set up your overview and d-scan filters properly (you will want to see almost everything on d-scan, especially ships, wrecks, scanner probes, and structures).

6a. Bookmark everything: you've scanned a wormhole --> bookmark it. You've scanned a site --> bookmark that. Use expiration dates on bookmarks to keep your BM folder from cluttering. Also, get into a standard format for your bookmarks: I preface every data site with a "d", every relic site with a "r", you get the idea. As soon as you enter a hole bookmark the exit from the overview, preface the bookmark with a dot "." or spaces like " EXIT", so that it will always show up on top. Also, clicking in space and pressing "l" will open a nice little window that shows all your bookmarks in the current system, which is extremely useful.

6b. The way I bookmark a series of wormholes is using simple numbers: first hole I get in is 1, if there are three wormholes in that, they are called 11, 12, 13; if there are five holes in hole number 12, they will be 121, 122, 123, 124, 125... you get the idea. That way I can always find my way back to a certain wormhole in case I want to get out some loot.

7. When I enter a wormhole, I bookmark the exit from the overview, but I also drop scanner probes immediately, click the "center on me" button in the probe scanner window, set range to 0,25 AU and hit scan. That way the exit hole will be scanned down first with no effort, and I know exactly which signature that is.

8. Warp to a random celestial at 100 km, drop a semi-safe spot bookmark on the way, and cloak up immediately after you arrive. Usually, I don't bother warping to a safe if I'm in a cloaky ship. In time you can train up the Covert Ops skill, and get yourself a much more expensive ship like the Cheetah or the Astero that will allow you to warp while cloaked, which is nice to have.

9. Do your scanning, watch out for what happens on your d-scan. Get intel on the wormhole during scans (or maybe even before starting): zkillboard, anoik.is are your friends. If it's a busy hole (lots of kills over the last days/weeks), consider abandoning it. Look out for structures on your solar system map or in your d-scan window: somebody might be living in this wormhole.

10. After you're done scanning, you can start hacking the sites. Use a cargo scanner to scan containers that do not contain any or just noch very much loot. I usually do this on my way from one container to the next. Consider making a fleet with just yourself, this allows you to tag containers in the overview with a right-click. I tag all containers that I do not want to hack (usually it's just one or two per site) with a 0. That has the nice side effect that the site will not de-spawn and still be visible as an anomaly for somebody else who will have to scan it down to find only one or two worthless containers.

11. I keep moving while I'm hacking, usually orbiting at 2 km or so. After the hacking starts, I always select a random celestial in the overview. It shows up in the "Selected Items" window. That way I know I only have to click the "Warp to" button in the Selected Items window to warp me out quickly if somebody shows up.

12. D-scan, d-scan, d-scan... even and especially when you're hacking. That's when you're vulnerable. There's no excuse not to do it. If somebody gets you, 90% chance you did not pay attention to d-scan, 10% chance they are in an Astero or a stealth bomber and they will decloak right on top of you, because they had the site scanned down before you even got into the wormhole, but then you are screwed anyway.

13. You've got some loot, congratulations! Now, depending on how comfortable you are, you might want to bring that to safety. That's where your wormhole naming scheme (e.g. the 1321 scheme I use) comes in handy, because you will always find back to the hole where you still have sites to hack. A more advanced version would be using a mobile depot at a safe, so you don't have to get out of your little wormhole chain, but that does have some drawbacks, too.

14. Train the skills for scanning and hacking. They will improve your success! Watch a couple of youtube videos that explain how the hacking minigame works, "Rule of 6" (if I recall that name correctly) and that stuff. That way you can hack into >90% of containers fairly easily.

I just realize that this has been a bit longer than what I thought it would be, but I hope you find some good tips! 🙂
Ferdinand II Echerie

Post by Ferdinand II Echerie »

Wow, thats a great writeup! Really consider turning this into a wiki page, we need more people like you!
Santa Kingswell

Post by Santa Kingswell »

Indeed, that si a real great writeup!

Personally I also really like exploration. You might also be interested in catching some of the VOD's of past classes about the topic:
https://forum.eveuniversity.org/viewtop ... 14#p943414
(Links in 2. post)
Mike Kingswell

Image Image Image Image Image
Grawd

Post by Grawd »

Laden Kanenald wrote: 2021.11.01 20:13 I just realize that this has been a bit longer than what I thought it would be, but I hope you find some good tips! 🙂
Wow! Thank you!
o7,
Grawd

Image Image
Amos TalFidelis

Post by Amos TalFidelis »

I’ve been intending to get into exploration. Tried it today for the first time after reading the eve wiki pages and some others I found.

I found them all lacking in some way, but your post covers just about all the best of everything from them all (I was thinking about uodating the eve wiki page on it - and might still do that and use your post as one of the sources.

I’m embarrassed to say that I had some serious tunnel vision on the hacking game and got totally smoked by some rats in Amy on my first data site (I was so focused on the hacking I was dead before I realized I was even being aggroed).

Will try again - and sticking with high sec until get the habits and muscle memory down.
Laden Kanenald

Post by Laden Kanenald »

Amos TalFidelis wrote: 2021.11.21 22:42 I’m embarrassed to say that I had some serious tunnel vision on the hacking game and got totally smoked by some rats in Amy on my first data site (I was so focused on the hacking I was dead before I realized I was even being aggroed).
That happens to everybody. What I'm doing is I try to slow down and avoid "rage-hacking" where I'm just annoyed and try to finish the game and get tunnel vision. Get in the habit of clicking 2-4 nodes and then deliberately do a d-scan. And do a deliberate d-scan every time you unlock something useful in a node just to introduce some pause. It took me a while to realize that the hacking minigame does not have to be completed within a certain amount of time... I knew that before but I always felt rushed when actually doing it 🙂 And I wrote "deliberate d-scan" on purpose, because at some point I started to realize that I was just hitting the space bar for a d-scan without actually checking the results...
Tremitry Darkstar

Post by Tremitry Darkstar »

It's worth noting that not every data and relic signature you find is really a "come hack this for free" site. While they all have hackable cans, many will have NPC rats on-grid immediately, and others may have rats arrive after some timer. There's a couple of resources to help know if something is safe to warp to or not (they should have the same info).

https://wiki.eveuniversity.org/Explorat ... fety_Guide
https://wiki.signalcartel.space/Public: ... fety_Guide
-Tremitry Darkstar
Amos TalFidelis

Post by Amos TalFidelis »

Amos TalFidelis wrote: 2021.11.21 22:42 Will try again - and sticking with high sec until get the habits and muscle memory down.
Ok... so getting back on the horse was worth it. I refitted my other Imicus (I had two) and started scanning in Amy again... there was nothing but a wormhole. I though I"d poke my head in there and jump right back out depending on what I saw... but it was mostly deserted... with lots of signatures to scan down. I was in search of a data analyzer still, but I had a relic analyzer - and could always use the practice anyway... so here's what I did:
  • Scanned down the worm hole in Amy
  • Jumped into the wormhole and immediately bookmarked the entry spot
  • Warped to the sun and dropped a book mark along the way
  • Warped back to the book mark and started scanning...
  • Found and scanned down a relic site (WWO-328 Ruined Sansha Monument Site)... warped to it.
  • Started hacking cans... got one with about 100k of loot... failed two... and the whole site blew up (no more cans in overview to try to hack).
  • Scanned the whole system again and scanned down another relic site - (RPM-766 Ruined Guristias Temple Site)
  • Started hacking... and then got a chat request from Bbey de Massiac (fellow Unista) with one word: D-SCAN! - I had done it again... gotten tunnel vision and wasn't checking scan. They combat scanned me and was right on top of me before they enen sent the chat request. They were kind to give me warning and smack my wrist without taking me out (I would have deserved it). We chatted... I kept hacking... they went off to hunt non-Uni explorers.
  • I succeeded at some and failed at other cans in the site... ended up with 40.3Mil ISK worth of loot.
  • Bbey de Massiac came back through the system... but I was checking scan and warped out before they got to me. They congratulated me on my response time that time! I warped all the way home to HSC (I needed to get rid of 38mil of that loot - it was making me nervous).
  • I went back one last time to finish off the site and again failed some and succeeded on some of the cans.
The "rule of 6" on the hacking really helped (when it was applicable). And I made the mistake of leaving a restoration node active (it was the only thing on the board) one time... but once I hit something else it was impossible to keep up and failed the hack. So really have to take out restoration nodes and virus suppressors immediately. These are not something the career agent prepares you for - nor the utility nodes.

If nothing else... that one haul will cover a whole lot of lost Imicus and fittings (I'm sure I'll lose a lot more).

I'd be lying if I said it wasn't nerve wracking... I don't have all my keyboard shortcuts setup yet, there is no muscle memory on doing "all the things", and if was anyone else who jumped on me other than Bbey I'd have been toast and lost another frigate.

One other thing I did was have the https://wiki.eveuniversity.org/Explorat ... fety_Guide page up so I could verify if a site was safe from NCPs (I did find one site that was NOT NPC safe so skipped it). Thanks for the resources @Tremitry Darkstar!

Now off to do some low level missions in my destroyer for a while - a lot less stress. :)
Laden Kanenald

Post by Laden Kanenald »

Sounds like an awesome way to make to make 38 million ISK worth of loot 🙂
Mike Kingswell

Post by Mike Kingswell »

Hey Amos,

that was a great read and as Laden puts it it sounds like you definatly had a fun time!
Next time you know more and will be less nervous...and in the end for the low investment of a explo frig you got out multiple millions worth of lot.
Op success!

And never forget:
Being alone in space isn't scary - being NOT alone is the scary part ;)
Alumnus, Teacher
Image Image Image Image Image