Which Data/Relic Sites spawn adds after a few minutes?

Forum rules
This forum can be viewed by the public.
<<

Bendak SK

Portrait

Post 2020.08.16 15:17

Which Data/Relic Sites spawn adds after a few minutes?

Hi, I was doing exploration in my Astero in low-sec (near LSC) and mid-hack a bunch of rats spawned on top of me and blew me up in seconds. I've heard that some data/relic sites can do that, but I thought those didn't occur in low-sec.

I've been referred to this resource: https://forums.eve-scout.com/topic/409/safety-can-i-warp-to-this-site
But it seems to say only Decayed and Regional will spawn in low-sec and that those are safe to warp to.

I'm guessing "safe to warp to" doesn't mean they will be safe X minutes after you warp to it. So my question is, how can I determine if I've found one of those sites which spawn adds after some period of time? And how much time do I have before the rats spawn?
<<

Anidien Dallacort

Portrait

Post 2020.08.16 16:35

Re: Which Data/Relic Sites spawn adds after a few minutes?

It sounds like you hit a Covert Research site, also known colloquially as a “Ghost Site”.

There were four cans roughly in a rectangular pattern?

At a covert research site, the moment you enter the grid uncloaked (or in local if you warp in cloaked in a CovOps), a hidden timer starts. When it expires, rats spawn, the cans are destroyed (and do damage in an area around them), and the rats start shooting for a bit too.

Covert sites spawn in all areas of space - yes Low Sec, even High Sec.

The strategy is either to bring something that can tank the can explosion plus the rats for their time on grid - or very very quickly hack one to two cans and get out before they spawn.

The table you linked to, does note Covert Research sites as not safe. It is important to read the full name of the site and apply any modifiers to the name when reading the table. But don’t worry - after a time, you’ll get the hang of it, there’s only so much variation in the site archetypes.
Anidien Dallacort - Teacher, Mentor, Sophomore

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
<<

Bendak SK

Portrait

Post 2020.08.16 19:32

Re: Which Data/Relic Sites spawn adds after a few minutes?

Yep, they were in a rectangular pattern.

And yeah, now I see that the link I was referring too actually has them listed as showing up in Low Sec. For some reason I didn't look down at the other sections.

At least I now know what I ran into and how to spot it again. So it wasn't a total loss. Thanks for explaining this to me.

One last question though. Drone sites and Sleeper sites, those have rats at them from the start, right? Is there anything unique about those I should know?

Return to Exploration and Wormholes