Alpha or Omega?

Forum rules
This forum can be viewed by the public.
<<

Guenivire Clairmont

Portrait

Post 2020.03.01 03:59

Alpha or Omega?

As an explorer who is just starting out, is it worth it if I go Omega? Because from what I read it is much easier to scan since you can maximize your skills. What other benefits can I get from it as a wormhole explorer?
<<

Ann'Dra Padecain

Portrait

Post 2020.03.01 05:56

Re: Alpha or Omega?

o7
With Omega you will also be able to use a cloak (once skills are trained). While not entirely essential, cloaking makes a huge difference to your safety while scanning and warping in w/h systems...
Good luck
<<

Rayni Ptarth

Portrait

Post 2020.03.02 14:47

An Alpha explorer will max out at about 25% effectiveness compared to an 3 month old Omega account explorer. Older Omega accounts will continue to build on this advantage. Some major advantages of an Omega accounts are: T2 ships, cheap 30+ hacking strength, cloaking, and faster and more accurate scanning.
<<

Vorkan Dosja

Portrait

Post 2020.03.03 14:50

You can also easily pay for your omega status with exploration. Over the course of 3 days, I raked in over 1b in exploration loot. Albeit, I'm not one for paying for my Omega with in-game time vs IRL work time. ~30 minutes IRL vs 15 hours in-game to earn 1.5b to plex.
Titles Officer | Mentor

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
<<

Larkvi

Portrait

Post 2020.03.04 12:39

Expecting 1.5B in 15 hours of exploration seems optimistic to me, as sometimes you just can't find sites/good cans. That said, I am sure our best explorers can, but they also have T2 scanning/hacking skills, zeugmas, and black glass, all of which are more than starter omega things. With moderate omega skills, Larkvi can fly a CovOps specialized in relic sites, and has made about 365M this week, mostly in two good mornings at WHC. Cloaking/CovOps make things easier.

That said...

Everything you learn about exploring as an alpha with no cloak will serve you very well when you do have a cloak, or when you fly a non-cloaked ship in j-space. At WHC, we like to hunt explorers, and you would be shocked how often paranoid T1 frigates get away. In fact, just assume that you have been pursued by Asteros/Stratios' multiple times that you didn't even know about, and think about how you can minimize your risk. If you are creating safes, rolling with your MWD while at each safe, bouncing every few seconds between safes, paying attention to D even when hacking, and ready at a moment's notice to jump a hole/warp out, it can be extremely difficult for a cloaked ship to catch you. Uncloaked herons 1000m off a hole are simultaneously obvious and largely untouchable, which is frustrating. They can only really be taken out with instalocking high-alpha fits, and only if they don't warp off the moment the see something on D. The price/performance of those T1 Herons that Ergan sells on contract at HSC is astonishing. In my first wormhole relic site, I hacked a can that paid for ninety of them. If you are omega, you can upgrade to the same fit with a cloak 1 for about 1.6M more and the main difference is that you don't have to be quite so active in avoiding hunting while scanning, and can cloak at a safe and be IRL afk for a few minutes safely, which I doe think is a QoL improvement worth the subscription cost, but does not diminish the value of alpha wormhole skills.

A time-consuming but very effective strategy I recently saw for the first time was a T1 frigate with cloak who was ninja looting one can at a time and rotating sites, with cloaked periods in between. we had three people hunting for him and his buddy across two systems, and they managed to get cans off of five sites. He did eventually get greedy, knowing that we were hunting him, and make a mistake that should have been fatal except that I had pressed cloak when I meant to scram, and lost my lock. I have since changed my key binds.

So, I think being alpha for a while as an explorer can be a really good learning experience, but as a counter-point to what I said above, one of the best things for an explorer about being omega, in my opinion, is that you can join WHC, which I have been finding to be a lot of fun.
Image Image

Return to Exploration and Wormholes