Wormhole Profit

Forum rules
This forum can be viewed by the public.
<<

Catbriar Saissore

Portrait

Post 2017.12.01 20:20

Wormhole Profit

I am liking jumping down wormholes, in particular after the "Lost in Space" class. In reading the UniWiki, it appears that anything you scan down is either guarded by something trying to kill you or will blow up in your face. ( I have seen some other conflicting reports on what is and is not guarded but I suspect some of those reports are old and game mechanics has changed over time. I am trusting the UniWiki as up to date.) Now, like everyone else, I do need to earn some ISK to pay for those ships and all. So the question is what are the safest profit making enterprises out there in wormhole space?

Out of curiosity, having read the information on the wormhole life cycle, has anyone determined what the average or half-life of wormholes is?
<<

Rodger Kint

Portrait

Post 2017.12.02 20:21

Re: Wormhole Profit

Ninja huffing gas comes to mind. Avoid ordinary perimeter reservoirs as those have initial sentry towers. But the other ones you have 15-20 minutes of huff time before the wave of sleeper rats spawn. A venture can warp out before they lock and kill you if you are on the ball.

According to my memory and several sources there are null sec style hacking/relic sites in class 1-3 wormholes. The loot used to be ok. You can tell the difference by checking the name. If they have a pirate name like Sansha or Angel in the title then they do not have rats although some source say the cans blow up.

Recommend you join the wormhole campus because the universe of wormholes really opens up when you have several players working together. People take about pilots being "Wormhole Rich" and they get that way by killing sleeper rats and selling the blue loot they drop. Between huffing and C3 rats back in the day in the uni I was clearing 150M-200M a week from the Uni buyback program which isn't bad for a toon in their first couple of months in the game.
KEEP CALM & DEFFO BLAP YO
The boy who cried Moros * Content Creator * Graduate * Awoxer - The Equalizer
<<

Che Galtor

Portrait

Post 2017.12.02 22:41

The safest is to PI in a wormhole and net 15m per toon per day (about).
The rest is never really safe. Although the illusion of safety may be felt.

It sounds like the WHC is something for you.
We explore,shoot sleeper rats, other players and huff gas to make some money and get those blIndie ships.
Just be prepared to loose them in a blink if You forget about d scan for 10 seconds.
Everything between 50m and 1bil can be made each week. It is all up to you.

To boldly go where others have probably gone before!
<<

Catbriar Saissore

Portrait

Post 2017.12.04 17:42

Thank you again Rodger for your thoughts. Yes, I was looking at gas harvesting but I have to do some income generation before I can afford that skill book. And yes, you are correct, the pirate faction sites are unguarded. I missed that subtle distinction.

Thank you also Che, I had not thought of PI and I am reading up on it. WHC is my long term goal, as you both recommended. I do want to get a good rounded feel and competence for the game before I wander down that way so HSC is my home for a while. I am working through the explorer skills recommended on the UniWiki. Just got my first cloak!

Fortunately, I just found a nice mostly quiet C1 with some Ore sites which are lightly guarded. I’m musing over the best approach to clean out the guards and do some mining. That will be tonight’s adventure. Thanks again.
<<

Sin Tsukaya

Portrait

Post 2017.12.05 01:02

I would imagine C1 ore sites can be cleared easily with a combat cruiser. Nonetheless, mining in WH space is comparably profitable to doing so in nullsec, and substantially more dangerous, to the point that I'd not recommend doing so as a solo isk-generating exercise.

Gas, meanwhile, needs to be scanned down - which is a degree of protection - and is substantially more profitable.

I've sent you 30m isk, which I think ought to cover the skillbook and a couple of huffing ventures - I hate to see lack of resources stop someone getting started in wormholes!
<<

Biwako Acami

Portrait

Assistant Fittings Manager
Assistant Fittings Manager

Post 2017.12.05 02:10

Che Galtor wrote:The safest is to PI in a wormhole and net 15m per toon per day (about).
The rest is never really safe. Although the illusion of safety may be felt.

Until you undock to collect your PI. Depending on how patient a hunter can be, your Epithal/Industrial is an easy kill.
ImageImageImageImage ImageImageImage
<<

Rodger Kint

Portrait

Post 2017.12.05 03:10

I've written a fair bit on PI but never addressed epithal safety before. Thank you for the opportunity. And yes, I've lost a few epithals learning the ropes.

Fitting. Epithals should be fit with four warp core stabilizers. You will get tackled someday and these will save you unless you meet up with a dictor and get bubbled.

Ultimately, the Epithal is disposable. They cost about 1.5M for the hull and T1 fitting is another few mil at most. You can afford to lose them. But if you play it smart you'll only lose a couple a year.

So you're in a wormhole with an alt doing PI. What does your month look like?

You log in. You are at a safe in space. You immediately cloak up. You work your PI, moving stuff around on the planet, shifting produced PI to the orbital customs house to free up planet-side storage. You're probably running just P1 planets unless you have a home base citadel in system where you can aggregate PI. We're going to assume for this that you are just floating in a wormhole. When you finish with your PI for the day, DSCAN, seeing no combat probes, uncloak and do a safe logoff.

Harvest day - probably about once a week. Log in. Cloak up. Plan your PI moves. You want to know what you are doing before you warp. Move PI to the customs platform. Check DSCAN - if you see anyone or probes of any type, log off and come back another day. If the coast appears clear, open the customs house window and your PI cargo hold on screen. Then warp to the customs platform. When you land, immediately cue a warp back to your safe. While warp speed is being built up, swipe the cargo from the customs house to the PI cargo hold - you'll have about 15 seconds to do this. Back in your safe set up your next trip to your next planet, repeat until the Eipthal is full or you've picked up all your PI.

Now you've got a full Epithal and you need a high sec exit over the next couple of days. I'm going to assume you have access to scanned results from something other than your PI alt. Either you've got a dedicated scanner in a astero or covops in system or you are in a corp wormhole like the Uni WHC where you can look up the eggs bookmark and just warp to the highsec exit to sell your PI. It would be risky to use the Epithal for scanning because you'd have to scout all the potential wormholes you scan down until you find a high sec one. Much better to scout these in a ship that can warp cloaked.

If you've got a scanner and they are not able to share corp bookmarks, form a fleet with them, scout the hole with the cloaky scanner and if the coast appears clear warp your Epithal to your cloaky, head out and sell your PI.

Note: your PI alt in a wh lives out of the Epithal, they never dock other than at a high sec station to drop off PI to sell or contract to your hauler. If you have a friendly citadel, this does become easier, but back in the day when the Uni didn't allow alts in the WH I had to keep mine hidden away from the campus starbase so I just left them logged out in space.

There's no need to rush in any of this. Each customs house stores 35km3 PI which is 10 or more days of production of P1. You can even use the customs houses at planets you are not harvesting for extra storage.

Expect to be blown up if you warp from a directly from a hole to a planet customs or from a citidel/starbase to a planet customs. Hostile cloakies wait off citadels looking for people to warp to planets then follow them. If you want to be safe, always warp to an intermediate safe spot before then re-warping to the planet. This does slow you down and you may, like me, just take your chances here and warp direct but you are going to get jumped more frequently, usually your warp core stabs will save you. If not, buy another Epithal, they are cheap.

If you do get bubbled on a customs house, remember you can strip 35km3 of your PI cargo into the customs house where it will be safe. If you are going to die, save your cargo.
<<

Cryptic Sharvas

Portrait

Post 2017.12.05 18:42

Rodger,

Thanks, that was great write up of exactly what I want to do in a wormhole.

With the Epithal Full do you exit the hole then or do you wait till you have a full Epithal and full customs house and full launch pads and make a mad rush dash to get the PI moved out? how long does PI stay in customs houses?
Image ImageImageImageImage
<<

Rodger Kint

Portrait

Post 2017.12.05 19:28

I move it out when the epithal is filled up and Bob gives me a decent high sec hole. I was pointing out the buffer that you have in the customs houses so you wouldn't feel time pressured. If you don't get a decent high sec hole this week it doesn't matter, you can store your output for a good long time. But basically PI that you've produced but not sold is at risk, so I risk manage by selling my PI and emptying the Epithal at each opportunity.

Pretty sure the stuff in the customs house never goes away unless someone blows the customs platform up, which is a fairly rare occurrence.

Take care that you don't get rolled out of your hole. Always a good idea to have a couple scanning alts in the hole so you can scan your way out. It's easy with Alphas. Just open another alpha account, equip them with T1 scanner ships with core probes and put all three of them at different safes in your hole. If you lose all access to your hole on your other characters, log in one of your alpha scanner backups and scan your way back to high sec. I'd just wait in the hole with the alt until Bob gives you a direct connection to HS which I think happens in all but C4 holes. You alpha alts won't have a cloak so watch DSCAN for combat probes while scanning, but eh, you shouldn't be getting rolled out all that often.
<<

Flack Keikira

Portrait

Post 2017.12.11 01:11

I just wanted to reiterate: pirate data / relic sites are not guarded by NPCs in nullsec unless they are ghost sites. If you could link to the wiki page that said otherwise I'll correct it.
<<

Catbriar Saissore

Portrait

Post 2017.12.11 23:43

Thank you all for your responses, glad to see it generated information on PI.
Rodger - excellent discussion on the Epithal, everything you say makes good sense. So many things to do, so little time.
Sin - Thank you, I have obtained the necessary skill book and even did my first gas harvesting.
Flack - As mentioned above, I missed the distinction on the pirate site, Wiki is looking good.
<<

Andrew Nightshade

Portrait

Post 2017.12.12 19:12

One thing that does deserve a mention, and who better than me, the resident ice fanatic? There exists a special type of Wormhole whose name starts with J0. These are shattered Wormholes. If you are an ice miner you can pull out ice blocks of Krystallos worth 800,000+ each. Also in these WH's are special ore deposits which have Mercoxit among other minerals. The ore deposit gets 1 spawn of 5 sleeper frigates and the ice gets 1 spawn of 1 cruiser + 2 frigates. Easy to clear and they only spawn once a day, so once you have cleared them, they are gone. (Usually spawn around 20 minutes after you first arrive in the site.) The other added benefit is that citadels can't be built in them, so there are usually fewer inhabitants to contend with. So if you are careful, you can get a good paying haul. Wonderful for a day tripper!

--Nightshade
It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
-- Ashleigh Brilliant
<<

Hoshinoko Pellion

Portrait

Post Yesterday 17:24

Flack Keikira wrote:I just wanted to reiterate: pirate data / relic sites are not guarded by NPCs in nullsec unless they are ghost sites. If you could link to the wiki page that said otherwise I'll correct it.

^^^THIS. I've come across a few of these and jetted away with 80M+ per wormhole, more if there are Sansha sites (intact armor plates ftw). To a newbro, it's like striking gold and keeps me coming back. As a result, I've learned more about defensive skills and abilities (stabs, reps, drones) and how to hot foot it out when potential danger pops up in d-scan.

Return to Exploration and Wormholes