Forum rules
This forum can be viewed by the public.
<<

Lucas Rivera

Portrait

Post 2017.08.27 03:43

Are Strategic Cruisers Still Viable?

Hey guys,

I have come back after a long time away. I trained up a Loki since I didnt know what I wanted to do and they could do anything! I am currently really enjoying exploration but have been unsuccessful due to getting killed by other explorers. Between ships lost, implants and loot; I have lost over 300 million Isk these last 2 days and it is frustrating.

My alt has all the scanning skills and good support skills. The first time I was in a Magnate and the second was an Astero. I figured I would upgrade to a better tank but nope. Is it just inexperience? I D Scan like a mad man and I have very little PvP experience. So I was thinking if I hop in my loki with my main, I could fight back. He is proficent with combat skills but I have a feeling its just me sucking as a pilot. I figured in my Loki I may have a better chance?

In the mean time, should I just stick to all T1 stuff until my skills get better and not take sisters of even probes and launchers until I suckless? Any advice is appreciated.

Also are there any new Loki fittings or sub system suggestions since the new patch. Thanks guys.

Note: I have read the classes on exploration, book marks, CORE skills, and a ton of other stuff. Theyre all really well done!
"Take my love, take my land
Take me where I cannot stand
I don't care, I'm still free
You can't take the sky from me..."
<<

K950

Portrait

Post 2017.08.27 05:45

Re: Are Strategic Cruisers Still Viable?

It's possible, but there are more sensible options.

Let's pretend Site Camper A is a smart bloke. He saw your Loki come inside the system and start scanning. You're cloaked up of course, but the probes are still there, so he stirs from his half-nap (camping is boring, best done with multiple sites in a system so you can alt-tab out and do something else and alt-tab in again every few minutes) and becomes alert. "Loki eh? must be a hunter T3. Let's see what he does." You scan out the hole, do your thing, then warp to your first site. Decloak and start doing the site. He uses Dscan to find out which site it is, warps to it at 100 or something.

"Oh nice. A Loki running sites? must be bait. Or something else." He then switches out for Zkillboard to check your losses and victories, sees this, notes that, "Hmph." Then he goes back into game, you're done with the first can, good job. "Hey guys I have a Loki from so and so running sites in this hole, it's about 2 systems over from home. Wanna shoot it? Could be bait, but look at his killboard" -- he pipes up in comms and corp chat.

Thirsty and bored wormholers can be unpredictable. Sure let's shoot it. There are number of options involved in doing this and executing it, but given that T3s ate a hit to their tank as of the recent changes, Yeah nothing the standard issue Stratios gang can't knock up -- perhaps a recon like a Lachesis to grab initial tackle, or a bomber?

Better tank and a more expensive hull doesn't guarantee survival if your party can escalate. An Astero with cap booster and dual rep with an AB will tank HAMs, and can orbit tightly to reduce the damage of autocannons significantly. Rapid Lights would be a problem -- but -- considering he saw what you had fitted to your ship when you decloaked, that lets him evaluate his options better.

I think we have more of a software problem than a hardware problem. The first thing I recommend is to not only watch Dscan (I use perpherial vision) but also keep half an eye on your overview. A full rack of WCS is common, and does work on occasion, but there are more sensible options available.

So while a T3C can work, they don't really offer the profile that is particularly suitable for basic data/relic sites. Combat sites are still viable yes. Perhaps you could clarify on the specifics of what you like to do so we can extend advice further on that subject?
<<

Lucas Rivera

Portrait

Post 2017.08.29 23:42

Thank you for that awesome reply, I am looking to do hacking and data sites. I need to learn to use D scanning better, just bummed out. I keep losing ships which means I am losing isk and not making anything. Living off of my savings, only way to get better is to keep trying iguess.Plus my killboard is atrocious, so I am definetely going to get ganked. Just looking to scan some stuff and make some isk to support my mains uncanny ability to lose expensive ships.
"Take my love, take my land
Take me where I cannot stand
I don't care, I'm still free
You can't take the sky from me..."
<<

Turlough Dominian

Portrait

Assistant Events Manager
Assistant Events Manager

Post 2017.08.30 00:27

hihi

I use a t3c for exploration its a legion probably not best even b4 the changes but it is what i have trained to all 5's, myself I only use it for hi-sec and low sec exploration it's more for convenience than anything else really and can do up to 5/10 nps 6/10 solo takes to long for me in it I do like the cloak + probes and the range is like 80km killing stuffs so i can position myself so far away from the land in spot i do jetizen random junk at the point of landing to hopefully decloak someone if they come in, but tbh most times i bug out if someone comes into system i go to a safe and cloak up then i just wait for them to leave, sometimes i check there kill-board history and if its totally obvious its safe ill ignore them.

but I don't feel that using a t3c to feel safer is really going to help like mentioned by other dude someone will just call for buddies and try out number you if they can find you, the main thing while doing pve stuff is to learn how to avoid the pvp things while your earning your iskies even more so since some t3c fits are over 2 bill mine is cheap tho at around 750 mill give or take.

for hacking and data sites most of them a frigate does the job, there are some really cool one's ive found that do aoe damage on entry and stuff but i wasn't confidante doing those yet even with the guides in front of me

so suppose my advice is sure a t3c can do alot of it but i would still avoid pvp totally throwing isk at a problem nvr tends to fix the problem, and if its just a data / relic site a covert ops frigate does the job fine or an astero.

p.s I only talk from 1 month exploration experience and mainly do low-sec and dable in hi-sec for combat sites i have only done max 6/10, my next goal will be to start wormhole diving for date/relic sites but my t3c is not going in there i will start off in cloakie frigates or astero, so take my advice how you see least you know my level of exploration experience might be limited

"un-related checked your kill-board 10/10 love the nightmare kill you are on well done"

Retired Assistant Personnel Manager,Assistant Events Manager, Retired Assistant Guidance Manager, Senior Personnel Officer Graduate,
<<

Teshub Nandos

Portrait

Post 2017.11.16 22:19

Lucas you mentioned you can use 2 accounts at the same time try the following:

1. Get cloacky ship (astero or whatever) as a Loot Keeper
2. Use T1 Exploration frigate for scanning / doing relic and data sites.
3. Share bookmarks between characters
4. If you finish a site or each X amount of ISK per loot just meet up with the Loot Keeper and drop the goods.

Most of the time you get ganked while doing the Data / Relic site so you minimaze the potential lost as T1 Explo frigate fitted for quick allignment is around 2kk tops.
If your frigate is killed - best (safest approach) stay cloacked with Loot Keeper for some time - observing the D-scan and after a while safely log-off in space. After a while OR close to server downtime attempt to extract.

Return to Exploration and Wormholes