WH Exploration Wall-of-Text

Forum rules
This forum can be viewed by the public.
<<

Zeerse Solaris

Portrait

Post 2016.04.08 12:16

Re: WH Exploration Wall-of-Text

The astero thing is a bit over played, contrary to what seems to be popular advice, an astero doesn't blow up the instant it's undocked without a cvops cloak fitted :D

What I've started doing with decent hacking skills is to scan down in my astero, then reship into a disposable T1 frig fit to run. You probably aren't going to get engaged while hacking by anything that you can actually kill.

That might not work if you're a pro explorer running far from home or several WHs deep.
E-uni Teacher:: Apply to be a teacher
E-uni Mentor: Apply to be a mentor
<<

Richard Marte

Portrait

Post 2016.04.08 12:46

Zeerse Solaris wrote:What I've started doing with decent hacking skills is to scan down in my astero, then reship into a disposable T1 frig fit to run. You probably aren't going to get engaged while hacking by anything that you can actually kill.

Well, sometimes gankers mess up, but this principle is generally true, especially if you aren't running some kind of bait setup with an unconventional fit. If somebody warps to you in a site for PVP, they've already decided that whatever they're flying stands a very good chance of killing you, and they have the element of surprise.

You're only going to kill them if they underestimated you in some way. That could be because your fit is more suited for PVP than the ganker estimated, or it is because you're in something they're not using to ganking. If you're getting ganked in a hacking-fit astero you can probably bet that you're not going to be the ganker's first hacking-fit astero kill. Of course, you could be lucky and the guy could just be new to Eve.

That said, in the few WH ganks I've been involved in I actually came out isk-neutral or positive. I think this was more due to mistakes by the gankers than anything else, though my using completely passive fits probably helped a little (I was running sleeper sites). In general if you're treating every undock as likely leading to PVP then you're going to cost gankers a lot more isk than they might have been counting on. Flying cheaper ships is of course a tactic that goes along with that. You want to be efficient in your fittings, etc.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
<<

Cygnus Delphi

Portrait

Post 2016.05.26 22:06

This thread is a great reference for new explorers like myself. I have a few questions:

1. When scanning down sigs, the OP mentions moving the probes relative to "the center". For instance he says "c. Three probes: The intersection of three spheres is two dots. Move to the furthest dot from the center, reduce by one, and scan." My question is, furthest dot from the center of what?

2. If you're hacking and someone appears next to you and you want to escape, what is the best way to GTFO before you get scramed? This is assuming you don't have a covops cloak, only a prototype cloak. Should you just warp to nearest celestial, or use the proto cloak and crawl away? Any other ideas for fleeing and staying alive?

3. About changing the overview - that's a great idea. But, when I tried it, it set that color scheme for all columns. Is there a way to set it up such that only your 'hacking' column displays the colors?
<<

Azure Rogue

Portrait

Post 2016.05.26 22:49

Cygnus Delphi wrote:1. When scanning down sigs, the OP mentions moving the probes relative to "the center". For instance he says "c. Three probes: The intersection of three spheres is two dots. Move to the furthest dot from the center, reduce by one, and scan." My question is, furthest dot from the center of what?

The center of your probes. The two dots means, as explained, that the real signature is at the intersection of three of the spheres. But the dot that's closer to your current scan "center" (basically, the box that you use to drag the probes around in pinpoint formation) will not be the true signature. If it was, your scan strength would have been high enough to rule it out. So move your probes to the dot that's farther from where you last scanned. Hope that makes sense,

Cygnus Delphi wrote:2. If you're hacking and someone appears next to you and you want to escape, what is the best way to GTFO before you get scramed? This is assuming you don't have a covops cloak, only a prototype cloak. Should you just warp to nearest celestial, or use the proto cloak and crawl away? Any other ideas for fleeing and staying alive?

This is a tough one as you're very vulnerable. In some ways it depends what decloaks. If it was an Astero or some similar exploration frigate you might be best off trying to warp out as they'll have a brief sensor recalibration delay before they can lock you and then they still need to lock before scramming. You don't have long though (~5 seconds before they can lock you). If it's a stealth bomber they can lock you immediately so you're best off firing your prototype cloak and aligning to a warp out point (a celestial or something). The problem is they can burn towards you to try to decloak you, so be ready to spam the warp button if you get decloaked (try to spam that warp button on whatever you're aligning to). But generally you're more likely than not to die if something decloaks near you and you're in a T1 exploration frigate.

Cygnus Delphi wrote:3. About changing the overview - that's a great idea. But, when I tried it, it set that color scheme for all columns. Is there a way to set it up such that only your 'hacking' column displays the colors?

I'll let someone else take this one, but I don't think you can change the color displays for only one tab - I could be wrong, though.
<<

Gareeno Shazbot

Portrait

Post 2017.02.03 11:31

Just for any new bros that happen to read this far into the thread, one quick note on what sties to choose to hack.

Generally any site with a <Faction> in their name in W-Space is safe, but if it says Covert Research Facility, stay away.

These are "ghost" sites. Ghost sites have cans that explode for massive amounts of damage on a short timer or upon failing a hack. Only attempt these sights if you are confident enough in your hacking skills or are in a properly fitted Astero (the only scanning frigate that can tank an explosion from these cans). Read http://wiki.eveuniversity.org/Ghost_Site for more information about ghost sites.

TL;DR: Don't do any sites with Cover Research Facility unless you know what you're doing.
<<

Mosrael Kibeth

Portrait

Post 2017.02.21 16:18

I'm still alpha for a little longer, so cloak is not an option for me yet. I've heard mixed things about what to do with your ship while hacking (in all cases keep spamming dscan):
1. Keep distance @~2250m
2. Orbit @~2000m
3. Keep aligned to warp out

#1 is decent advice but doesn't help you escape. #2 just seems like a bad idea, as your best warp out option is constantly changing. I've been sticking with #3. Warp to a site, align to my first safe spot, orient the screen so that BM is near the Dscan window (for easy clicking) and won't be covered by the hack, approach the first container, when you're within 1000m re-align to safe spot but stop your ship quickly so you're within 2500m-aligned-stopped. I've tested that I can warp out awfully fast compared to not being aligned, but I have yet to see if this works when being ganked. The two times I was killed in sites, I was in LS and got lazy (didn't align, kept hacking when someone entered system, etc.).
Thoughts?

With a T1 3.5M ISK hull/fitting (2.5M being the Sister Probes), only the lost time in re-fitting hurts. I've briefly considered the 20M for a Sunesis, but the loss in virus strength would hurt (20 is max for alpha without hull bonuses or ~25M ISK implants).
<<

Ernesto Guevarti

Portrait

Post 2017.02.21 20:09

Mosrael Kibeth wrote:...approach the first container, when you're within 1000m re-align to safe spot but stop your ship quickly so you're within 2500m-aligned-stopped. I've tested that I can warp out awfully fast compared to not being aligned...

Once you are stopped, facing has no effect on align time, there is no such thing as aligned and stopped.

When running the sites, I think the most important thing is to be zoomed out a bit so you can get an overview of where you are and what is happening, and making sure that you are not going to be trying to fly through any container or other scenery when trying to warp off, as you will just end up bouncing off things and getting stuck. If you are in a ship that can warp cloaked, the advice about staying outside of 2000m from everything is great, but be aware of the above point when positioning yourself.
Daniel Wittaker wrote:You could have a bright career ahead of you in Goonforums. That's some upvote-quality Helldump posting. Well done, sir.
<<

Peregrinus Zolt

Portrait

Post 2017.07.07 18:01

Thx Milodon for your wall of text. Just started the WH exploration issue - your hints pinpoint the core information. Great help for me!
Previous

Return to Exploration and Wormholes