[Doctrine] Kiting Kestrels (Alpha Birds)

Forum rules
This forum can be viewed by the public.
<<

Breeze One

Portrait

Post 2017.05.31 17:54

[Doctrine] Kiting Kestrels (Alpha Birds)

This is the doctrine post for Kiting Kestrels, hopefully describing the benefits, disadvantages and tactics of the doctrine for other aspiring FCs who may wish to try them out.

Thoughts, opinions and discussions on the doctrine are highly encouraged.

Kiting Kestrels

Note: Kiting Kestrels are a Cal-Mil fleet doctrine which Uni currently has little experience with. This post may therefore evolve as more experience is gained

Kiting Kestrels take advantage of Kestrel’s natural range (and damage) bonus to missiles to fight at long range. As kiting ships, they use MWD’s for speed, and carry shield tanks. After fitting the standard MSE, MWD and Warp Disrupter (“point”) they have a “spare” midslot. This can be used with a Target Painter to maximize missile damage, or Damps to minimize incoming damage. The fleet should ideally be split between both.

Light missiles have very high alpha strike (up to 900 HP), with low sustained DPS. This fleet is therefore at its best when used for coordinated Alpha strikes. The FC should practice having the fleet hold DPS, then all fire in a single coordinated volley to overload Logi and reps.

The key weakness is relatively poor DPS when Alpha strikes are not coordinated, and low EHP if your opponent can apply damage at range - hopefully Damps will limit this for most opponents. Overall, Kiting Kestrels are arguably inferior to Hyperkittens as a kiting doctrine (lower DPS, lower EHP, lower speed). However they teach valuable skills such as Alpha strikes which are applicable when stepping up to larger ships using similar tactics, such as Talwars and Caracals.

In addition, their EWAR options allow for better damage mitigation than Kiting Tristans against targets who could otherwise hit out to kiting range.

Faction missiles are preferred as the default option, however if there are sufficient Target Painters in fleet, then T2 Rage missiles offer the highest overall DPS. The fleet should carry a range of missile types and switch damage according to your opponent's likely resist holes.

Kestrels should usually orbit within point range at 18km with MWDs on similar to Kiting Tristans, as missiles ignore tracking – however the Kestrel’s range does allow for fighting outside of point range if necessary.

Mainline DPS:
SPOILER WARNING!
[Kestrel, Light Missile Kiter]
Micro Auxiliary Power Core I
Nanofiber Internal Structure II

5MN Cold-Gas Enduring Microwarpdrive
Medium Azeotropic Restrained Shield Extender
J5 Enduring Warp Disruptor
Parallel Enduring Target Painter

Light Missile Launcher II

Small Warhead Calefaction Catalyst I

Caldari Navy Scourge Light Missile x500
Caldari Navy Inferno Light Missile x500
Nova Fury Light Missile x500
Inferno Fury Light Missile x500
Caldari Navy Nova Light Missile x500
Caldari Navy Mjolnir Light Missile x500
Mjolnir Fury Light Missile x500

Alpha Version
SPOILER WARNING!
[Kestrel, **Light Missile Kiter (Alpha)]
Micro Auxiliary Power Core I
Nanofiber Internal Structure I

5MN Cold-Gas Enduring Microwarpdrive
Medium Azeotropic Restrained Shield Extender
J5 Enduring Warp Disruptor
Parallel Enduring Target Painter

Arbalest Compact Light Missile Launcher

Caldari Navy Scourge Light Missile x500
Caldari Navy Inferno Light Missile x500
Caldari Navy Nova Light Missile x500
Caldari Navy Mjolnir Light Missile x500
<<

Reise Amatin

Portrait

Post 2017.10.09 01:34

Re: [Doctrine] Kiting Kestrels (Alpha Birds)

FCs, please note:

The Alpha fit of the Kiting Kestrel that Breeze posted above contains a Parallel Enduring Target Painter. This module is NOT able to be fit by a Caldari Alpha pilot because the associated skill (Target Painting I) is not trainable by Caldari Alpha pilots. It should be swapped for either a DDO Scoped Tracking Disruptor (for use against enemy turret ships) or a Highstroke Scoped Guidance Disruptor (for use against enemy missile boats). Feel free to adjust meta to your liking/skill training ability.

I suggest buying one of each Tracking/Guidance Disruptor and carrying both so that you can refit as necessary or have your fleet split 50/50 between the two before beginning the roam. Don't forget scripts!!

Image ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage Image Image
Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image Image

Return to PvP Ship Loadouts