Space Engineers Official Updates

Forum rules
EVE University's usual communications rules apply, so ensure that any topics are appropriate for a family-friendly environment.
<<

Seamus Donohue

Portrait

Post 2014.09.18 20:08

Space Engineers Official Updates

For those who don't know, Keen Software House updates Space Engineers every Thursday. The updates are officially posted here: http://forums.keenswh.com/?forum=326211 For our convenience, we should repost them to the present thread.

The update for 01.048 is documented here: http://forums.keenswh.com/post/update-0 ... 1284350774

SPOILER WARNING!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNSvVBc8dDA

Features
- Modding API (WIP - more features will be added in the future)
- Reloadable missile launcher for small ships
- Respawn ship cool down time
- Ship dampeners configurable in terminal
- Moddable door open distance
- Search in inventory by item name
- Fighter cockpit mod – special thanks to modder “Darth Biomech”!

Fixes
- Fixed infinite refinery production issue
- Fixed armor models
- fixed scrolling while copy-pasting was not in F1 help screen
- fixed buttons for New Platform and ships visible when setting actions in sensor
- fixed cannot stack items in production queue
- fixed issue when player was able to remote control anything even outside of the antenna’s range
- fixed incorrect texture of small rotors
- fixed sensor/timer block triggering actions on grids joined by connectors even after disconnection
- fixed loosing ability to remote control ships after previous interaction with remote control block
- fixed assembler inventory output filling up input inventory
- fixed issue when merge blocks on pistons were not disconnected
- fixed ore mining ratio
- fixed issue when refineries were still working even when the power was cut off
- fixed sensor lags on Dedicated Server and normal Multi-player
- fixed crash while being kicked out of faction
- fixed freeze without creating the log after a map was loaded
- fixed changing field and loading the game activates the sensor
- fixed the amount of required blocks for creating sensor blocks
- fixed issue with faction members’ names when they are remote controlling a ship

Of greatest concern, here, is that the Fighter Cockpit has been officially adopted (and thus we shouldn't use the modification version, anymore), and that Respawn Ships now have a cooldown timer.

When respawning as a new astronaut (thus abandoning all previous block ownership), the simple suit is always available, and other ships vary between 3 minutes for the Escape Pod and 15 minutes for the default Respawn Ship. These are the default times, but there is a game session setting to divide the cooldown time by up to 10 or multiply it by up to 50, so depending upon what Turhan wants to do, the Respawn Ship can have a cooldown timer between 90 seconds and 12.5 hours. Cooldown timers can also be disabled completely (thus returning to pre-patch behavior).

I do recommend that if we extend the cooldown on Respawn Ships, then we also change the rule such that Respawn Ships do NOT despawn on logout or respawn.

A word of warning: the selection of ANY respawn ship resets your personal timers on ALL respawn ships. That is, these are NOT independent timers. So, if you pick an Escape Pod and then immediately die and respawn again, the Respawn Ship won't be available until 15 minutes after you created the Escape Pod.
<<

Smoogle

Portrait

Post 2014.09.18 20:42

Re: Space Engineers Official Updates

15 minutes seems fine to me? I don't think anyone has the desire to create massive rafts of tacked-together respawn ships anyway... though the idea did occur to me. It gets pretty inconvenient pretty fast, unless you have an accomplice or something to trade ownership to. And harvesting respawn ships doesn't seem to be a thing now, anyway, so no real point in fixing what is not broken.

For public servers where people might use them as missiles... yeah, totally different story. Did that once myself on a PVP server after someone decided to kill me and take my stuff. So I gave him an entire respawn ship, which they might have liked, if the "gift" hadn't been traveling at 50 m/s at the time... 8) They should maybe have left me alone to punch rocks in peace.
:pinkiecrazy:
<<

Seamus Donohue

Portrait

Post 2014.09.19 18:44

http://steamcommunity.com/games/244850/ ... 1940607389
EDIT 09/19/2014:
Update 01.048.020
- Fixed character spawning twice in the same world
- Fixed crash in script mission
- Fixed crash related to fighter cockpit
- Fixed spelling mistake "inertial dampeners"
- Fixed crash when assembler blueprints were missing
- Fixed crash when copy pasting grid with mod that was previously removed from the world
- Reduced network lag in certain cases (when rotors are in world)
<<

Smoogle

Portrait

Post 2014.09.23 01:06

Update 01.048.021 - Minor scripting patch. Some exploit or other.
<<

Seamus Donohue

Portrait

Post 2014.09.23 01:37

Smoogle wrote:Update 01.048.021 - Minor scripting patch. Some exploit or other.

Linky?
<<

Ekcim

Portrait

Post 2014.09.23 05:10

http://forums.keenswh.com/post/update-0 ... ps-7086312
Update 01.048.021
- Fixed scripting exploit

Script exploit was hot-fixed, some scripts may stop working because we've been forced to disable one particular feature.
This will be fixed asap and scripts should be working again soon.
<<

Smoogle

Portrait

Post 2014.09.24 00:14

Apparently scripts could do Bad Things like delete stuff and launch applications. I'm fairly certain that THAT kind of scripting is not a good idea at all... :?
<<

Ekcim

Portrait

Post 2014.09.24 15:39

Yeah their "whitelisting of only pre-approved safe types" filtering wasn't working so everything in the entire .net framework was allowed.
The fix was absolutely needed from a security point of view, but I'm still a bit annoyed because it means my custom rendering doesn't work anymore so I hope they will give us the real mod API some time soon.
<<

Ekcim

Portrait

Post 2014.09.25 15:48

http://forums.keenswh.com/post?id=7095351
Update 01.049 - Recreated G-screen layout, Antenna range visualization

SPOILER WARNING!
Summary
The G-screen layout has been completely recreated (custom tabs are still work in progress). A search box for the G-screen has been also added along with the antenna’s range visibility and the item spawning tools for world makers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHRMq3Hkc_4

Features:
- recreated G-screen layout - it provides easier and faster access to what you need
- moddable categories for G-screen blocks and tools (can be edited in the new BlockCategories.sbc file)
- search textbox in the G-screen to make it easier to find that one block
- added antenna range visualization (under info tab)
- added object creation for player-made scenarios (creative mode only, Shift + F10)
- sensor is now able to detect voxels (asteroids)

Fixes:
- fixed crash in missile launcher shooting
- fixed issue with multiple ships in one spawn group shooting at each other
- fixed crash in modding API caused by ConfigDedicated.Administrators
- fixed sync issues with damage application to blocks
- fixed shifted jetpack animation on characters in multiplayer
- fixed missing welding/grinding/drilling sounds
- fixed player spawning twice in the world after remotely controlling a ship
- fixed custom palette resetting after spawn
- fixed issue when asteroids are not properly update when a lot of explosives go off near them
- fixed ModAPI is no longer working for some namespaces
- fixed cockpit inertia displayed wrong in 1st person
- fixed timers execute one tab only
- fixed collector not collecting 0 speed items
- fixed G-Menu search-box reaction on shortcuts
- fixed ModAPI ConfigDedicated.Administrators causes exception
- fixed crash while starting remote control by sensor

Also on a side note, I noticed that steam now gives the choice of 'update' and 'launch now' when trying to start an outdated SE. Handy for those instances when the client has been updated but the server hasn't :)
<<

Turhan Bey

Portrait

Retired Director
Retired Director

Post 2014.09.25 16:18

Ekcim wrote:...I noticed that steam now gives the choice of 'update' and 'launch now' when trying to start an outdated SE.

I'm not seeing that option, only a "Play" button and it started the update right away when I pressed it. :(

EDIT: Assuming that it works for at least some others, I'll leave the server up with the old version until it can be updated.
ImageImageImage
"The first mistake most gameplay zealots make is thinking that the game should revolve around them. The second is believing that it already does."
"Maybe it's just a game. Or perhaps it's a world. Perhaps it's a community. One thing is for certain: If it's only a game to you, then that is all it will ever be."
<<

Smoogle

Portrait

Post 2014.09.25 17:14

I have my gear mod adding in as "-2" in positions because that dumps it in the next available space, I'll have to make sure that I don't need to text edit it a little...

Edit> And done. BlockCategories.sbc.
<<

Seamus Donohue

Portrait

Post 2014.10.02 16:48

http://forums.keenswh.com/post/update-0 ... ts-7115815

Update 01.050 - Blueprints
SPOILER WARNING!
Summary
Blueprints have been added in Space Engineers. Players can now save their ship or station on a blueprint and paste it into their game. This was one of the most demanded features by the community, so we feel happy that it is finally in the game. We hope that players will enjoy this as well.
Blueprints can also be uploaded and shared on Steam Workshop. They work only when copy/paste is enabled. At the moment, blueprints can be used only in creative mode, but later in the future they will be added for survival as well. Welders (both ship and character) will be able to 'place' blocks according to blueprints.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0miB57itm4

Features
- Blueprints (F10, Ctrl+B)

Fixes
- fixed reduced distance for placing objects in survival mode
- fixed issue when a dead player could still remotely control ships
- fixed ore detector showing ore when owned by someone else
- fixed mod api enums not allowed
- fixed crash when changing ownership
- fixed mod api - 147 script error due to 'the process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process'
- fixed cockpit lockout after RCing a ship
- fixed hand tools not working after RCing a ship
- fixed colour palette resetting

"At the moment, blueprints can be used only in creative mode, but later in the future they will be added for survival as well." So, no direct effect on us except that we need to wait for the server to be patched.
<<

Smoogle

Portrait

Post 2014.10.02 16:57

YAY!!! They fixed the placement distance!

And a changing ownership crash too, which might be nice if someone gets locked out of their stuff again.
<<

Seamus Donohue

Portrait

Post 2014.10.03 18:37

http://forums.keenswh.com/post/update-0 ... ts-7115815
Update 01.050.010

EDIT 10/03/2014:
Update 01.050.010
- fixed slender man
- fixed crash in modded character caused by different number of bones
- fixed crash caused by meteors hitting asteroid
- fixed crash when using unsupported characters in blueprint name
<<

Seamus Donohue

Portrait

Post 2014.10.09 16:55

http://forums.keenswh.com/post/update-0 ... ol-7124447

Update 01.051 - Adding new asteroids in creative mode, Remote turret control
SPOILER WARNING!
Summary
Adding new asteroids in creative mode is now possible in Space Engineer. Players can select the asteroid type, materials and then place it into the world. Another new addition is the scrap metal items. When a component, either floating object or in block, is damaged, it is turned into scrap metal (the percentage of scrap metal is random). Scrap metal can be melted in the refineries to create iron ingots. Also, remote turret control has been added; players are now able to control turrets directly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bgKKgk6Ygg

Features
- adding new asteroids in creative mode (SHIFT+F10)
- scrap metal item (can be processed in refinery into iron)
- remote turret control

Fixes
- fixed hand animation during the block placement
- fixed issue with transparent asteroid
- fixed ore detector info persisting between sessions
- fixed wrongly scaled model of large reactor
- fixed G-screen automatically closing when another player died
- fixed ModAPI IMyInventory.TransferItemTo freezing the game
- fixed ModAPI CustomNameChanged crash
- fixed ModAPI ConfigDedicated.Load exception
Next

Return to Videogames and Media