Anime

Forum rules
EVE University's usual communications rules apply, so ensure that any topics are appropriate for a family-friendly environment.
<<

Asayanami Dei

Portrait

Post 2010.05.06 19:21

Anime

So, I need some recommendations, because I came to a point where I have no clue what to watch next (and I have a really boring job and I spend there 17h straight, so I need to keep myself occupied so I won't go insane).
(I wont list what i've watched so far since it would be too long and I don't really feel like putting it together)

So, watched anything good recently? Had a good laugh? Do share! (series prefered)
<<

Sugilite

Portrait

Post 2010.05.06 19:58

Re: Anime

I assume you've seen "Lucky Star" right?

Also, have you looked into manga scans? Cuz those can be pretty damn interesting.
<<

Asayanami Dei

Portrait

Post 2010.05.06 20:19

Sugilite wrote:I assume you've seen "Lucky Star" right?

Also, have you looked into manga scans? Cuz those can be pretty damn interesting.

I've seen those characters but I don't think I watched the series, getting it now :) thanks.
And yes, occasionally I download manga but I prefer the real thing rather then scans.
<<

Master Akira

Portrait

Post 2010.05.07 03:16

Oh look, an anime thread!

If you are not posting what you have watched, it's hard to recommend anything... So, about what I enjoyed recently... my elfen lied sig is synched with my anidb profile so it shows what I just finished. For example, right now I finished Saiunkoku Monogatari. It was a decent show, better than what I expected tbh, but ONLY if you haven't watched the much much better and all time awesome Juuni Kokuki (Twelve Kingdoms).

Before that, I enjoyed (as in mildly laughed) Ookami to Koushinryou (Spice & Wolf) and Lucky Star (as in laughed a bit more with the otaku references).

2 awesome OVAs (not long series) I watched recently are Eve no Jikan and Byosoku 5 centimeters. They are not comedy, but I can assure you they are great.

Damn you 120px image height constraint >.<
<<

Shin Tanaka

Portrait

Post 2010.05.07 05:11

Without knowing what you have seen or your general tastes, it is hard to recommend much beyond classics. If you enjoy Lucky Star, you will likely enjoy Azumanga Daioh and The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya for massive comedy. Since you play EVE I would think you enjoy sci-fi and spaceships so Tenchi Muyo GXP (all the Tenchi Muyo OVA's are great, but GXP is more standaloneish) while Crest of the Stars/Banner of the Stars has huge space battles and a much more character driven story-arc.
The Wisdom of strategy is unique. Even when involved in difficult battle, never cease to learn the principles of strategy, so that your spirit will remain steady - Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Five Rings
<<

Asayanami Dei

Portrait

Post 2010.05.07 05:45

I don't really keep track of the series and movies I watched over the last 10 or so years, but let me write down some of them that i remember for sure:

recently:
Tenchi Muyo (currently re-watching)
Ergo Proxy
Wolf's Rain
Rozen Maiden
Sora No Otoshimono
Ikkitousen
To loveる
Serial Experiments Lain
Kore ga Watashi no Goshujin-sama
(lots of ecchi for laughs)

Back in the day:
Evangelion
Love Hina
Cowboy Bebop
Appleseed
Elfen Lied
Death Note
Slayers
most of Mamoru Oshi's movies
Lots of fantasy and Sci-fi series which titles i don't remember at the moment
Spirited away etc
Hotaru no haka

That's about right, as I said, i don't really keep track so there are many more i didn't include.
I like your recomendations so far, tho :D keep them comming and thanks! :bounce:
<<

Wundah

Portrait

Post 2010.05.07 06:37

Trigun is an old one and its hilarious.

I also liked Berzerk.

I've been meaning to watch Evangelion again. That one was nuts and I couldn't understand what was happening until I read the wiki summary.
One day at a time.
<<

Garr Anders

Portrait

Post 2010.05.07 09:09

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rurouni_Kenshin

Also known as Samurai X in some parts.

The Anime TV series was great fun and even better story, the movies/OvAs/films were a great addition but I would start with the series/mangas.
---
Inactive - Thukk U
Karsa Orlonng - Director of Operations
Fighting the right fight ! - Thukk U

- Factional Warfare 101 & 102
- Flying Minmatar

"The only winning move is not to play" is about the best damn advice anyone can get regarding arguing over the internet.
<<

Asayanami Dei

Portrait

Post 2010.05.07 09:16

Garr Anders wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rurouni_Kenshin

Also known as Samurai X in some parts.

The Anime TV series was great fun and even better story, the movies/OvAs/films were a great addition but I would start with the series/mangas.

Well, I'm sure its good, but not really my taste, and 95 eps is a bit too long :)
<<

Ayrunia

Portrait

Post 2010.05.07 10:28

I watched 07-ghost. Still following Bleach and Naruto
<<

Garr Anders

Portrait

Post 2010.05.07 11:07

I can also recommend

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghost_in_the_shell

the movie(s) as well everything related to

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghost_in_t ... ne_Complex

Liked them very much
---
Inactive - Thukk U
Karsa Orlonng - Director of Operations
Fighting the right fight ! - Thukk U

- Factional Warfare 101 & 102
- Flying Minmatar

"The only winning move is not to play" is about the best damn advice anyone can get regarding arguing over the internet.
<<

Samuel GRonin

Portrait

Post 2010.05.07 11:24

The rebuild of Evangelion is coming to dvd now. 1.11 you are (not) alone just came out on region 2.
Martian Successor Nadesico (sic) is a fun space/giant robot/spoof show. Half the ships crew become otaku of a really chessy in show giant robot show...
Oshii has a new film i am trying to find. Skycrawlers. It also has a Wii tie in game by the Ace Combat series guys. Project Aces.
Bleach has its good parts. Not really seen series 4 onward yet. I gather its a long filler set :(
Macross? Original, 7, Plus, Zero or Frontier. Zero lacks the space angle but great as anime top gun... :)
Gundam? Seed and Seed Destiny? 00 is good.
Excel Saga? Utterly mad show. Actually has a fun localised english dub even.
<<

Zedah Zoid

Portrait

Post 2010.05.07 12:13

I really liked Karas:The Prophecy and The Revelation. The opening sequence of Prophecy blew me away the first time I saw it.
<<

Dys Novus

Portrait

Post 2010.05.07 13:57

Code Geass is the best anime in existence.

Watch it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Code_geass
"We are the revolutionaries. We are the usurpers to the heavenly thrones. We are the enemies of the gods."
<<

Master Akira

Portrait

Post 2010.05.07 14:39

Let me expand the list a bit, in no particular order as all of these are awesome in their own right.

Some of the animes I have watched that I laughed the most with, as in the focus of the show is make you laugh and suceed in doing so:

GTO (43 episodes of pure awesomeness)
Seto no Hayanome (It will make you laugh even if you don't want to)
School Rumble (& sequel) (just make sure NOT to watch the third sequel)
Ouran Koukou Host Club (all kinds of awesome packed in a very gay-looking package, but it is not that at all)

Some animes I have enjoyed the most, as in the comedy in there is sometimes mixed with a bit of drama, or slice of life or whatever, but overall they are really enjoable:

Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu (aka the Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi)
Nodame Cantabile (& sequel) (great one tbfh)
Hachimitsu to Clover (aka Honey & clover, & sequel... it's like the best slice of life anime ever)
Fullmetal Panic? Fumoffu! (after you have watched the "real" series first)
Mahoromatic & sequel (I really liked this one, but be prepared to :rage: at the end, as it's a Gainax show)
Fruits Basket (way too cute but great anyway)
Detroit Metal City (weird pace and format, but funny nonetheless.)
Toki o Kakeru Shoujo (awesome movie no matter how you put it. Really recommended)

So, this is mostly comedy. If you want to change pace to another kind of anime (like real drama, robots or anything non-comedy) then let me know :P

Damn you 120px image height constraint >.<
Next

Return to Videogames and Media