Final Fantasy VII Remake

Forum rules
EVE University's usual communications rules apply, so ensure that any topics are appropriate for a family-friendly environment.
<<

Edhin Delphiki

Portrait

Post 2019.05.28 00:25

Final Fantasy VII Remake

All,
What are the feelings of my fellow Unistas on FF VII Remake? I have a feeling that I will spend some time around the New Year with this title. I like what I see even so far. Some of the voice acting I will have to get used to, but I think they will grow on me. I am hoping the December 31, 2019 date stays true.

Warm Regards,
Edhin Delphiki
<<

Adree Jericho

Portrait

Teaching Manager
Teaching Manager

Post 2019.05.28 02:29

Re: Final Fantasy VII Remake

Don't mean to be the wet blanket, but I kind of got over FF7 (and JRPGs generally) like ten years ago.

That's the nice thing about not being beholden to my childhood: I get to be 100% immune to the remake/reboot/rehash mania in games and (especially) films trying to cash in on my nostalgia.
<<

Edhin Delphiki

Portrait

Post 2019.05.28 12:02

Adree Jericho wrote:Don't mean to be the wet blanket, but I kind of got over FF7 (and JRPGs generally) like ten years ago.

That's the nice thing about not being beholden to my childhood: I get to be 100% immune to the remake/reboot/rehash mania in games and (especially) films trying to cash in on my nostalgia.

Well, I could not have imagined that was the first response. I can understand that perspective.

I do not mind nostalgia. JRPG(s) are a genre that I still like to play from time to time. I plan to start a family IRL here soon and sharing the genre with my child(ren) is something that I think would be fun. In between events or long training queues, I sometimes mix it up on gaming genres to keep the feel fresh.

Warm Regards,
Edhin
<<

Tau Hopper

Portrait

Assistant Campus Manager
Assistant Campus Manager

Post 2019.06.19 14:01

I've never played any Final Fantasy game, but I've seen enough references to FF7 as to be willing to give it a try when that remake is released... and eventually goes on sale :)

Childhood memories and nostalgia can indeed play tricks on you sometimes. For example, I recently started watching videos from The 8-Bit Guy while mining, and suddently felt the urge to play something classic again. Something like Maniac Mansion, which I happened to have around as part of a ScummVM installation.

I can't deny I enjoyed it greatly, but even going for a different solution and ending than what I had played back in the day, it felt way easier -and way way shorter- than I remembered. In fact, I did two different playthroughs in an afternoon without even trying to speedrun them.

Now a pair of remasters I loved were those for The Secret of Monkey Island and Monkey Island 2: LeChuck’s Revenge. If that FF7 remake is anything alike, quality-wise, I bet it'll be worth it. Yet, in the meantime... I think I have an itch to replay Star Control 2.
AMC Assistant Manager | Mining FC, 2nd Class

ImageImageImage
<<

Turhan Bey

Portrait

Retired Director
Retired Director

Post 2019.06.19 23:07

I am going to play the hell out of it, but that is assuming that I will be able to afford a PS4 by then. Which is in the realm of possibility, but not something I would rely upon. I do know that I will play it eventually, just maybe not from the launch date.

I have liked JRPGs for decades. While not my very favorite genre, I will happily play one that has a great storyline and has received generally very good reviews. And with FF7 Remake, those reviews are from myself specifically, so I am certain that I can trust them. :)
ImageImageImage
"The first mistake most gameplay zealots make is thinking that the game should revolve around them. The second is believing that it already does."
"Maybe it's just a game. Or perhaps it's a world. Perhaps it's a community. One thing is for certain: If it's only a game to you, then that is all it will ever be."
<<

Edhin Delphiki

Portrait

Post 2019.06.20 00:38

Tau Hopper wrote:I've never played any Final Fantasy game, but I've seen enough references to FF7 as to be willing to give it a try when that remake is released... and eventually goes on sale :)

Childhood memories and nostalgia can indeed play tricks on you sometimes. For example, I recently started watching videos from The 8-Bit Guy while mining, and suddently felt the urge to play something classic again. Something like Maniac Mansion, which I happened to have around as part of a ScummVM installation.

I can't deny I enjoyed it greatly, but even going for a different solution and ending than what I had played back in the day, it felt way easier -and way way shorter- than I remembered. In fact, I did two different playthroughs in an afternoon without even trying to speedrun them.

Now a pair of remasters I loved were those for The Secret of Monkey Island and Monkey Island 2: LeChuck’s Revenge. If that FF7 remake is anything alike, quality-wise, I bet it'll be worth it. Yet, in the meantime... I think I have an itch to replay Star Control 2.

When the Secret of Monkey Island first came out, I played the hell out of it. I was hilarious, the puzzles were challenging to me, and it really made me think outside the box to progress that game. So few people have ever played it. I salute you sir!

Warm Regards,
edhin
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
<<

Edhin Delphiki

Portrait

Post 2019.06.20 00:39

Turhan Bey wrote:I am going to play the hell out of it, but that is assuming that I will be able to afford a PS4 by then. Which is in the realm of possibility, but not something I would rely upon. I do know that I will play it eventually, just maybe not from the launch date.

I have liked JRPGs for decades. While not my very favorite genre, I will happily play one that has a great storyline and has received generally very good reviews. And with FF7 Remake, those reviews are from myself specifically, so I am certain that I can trust them. :)

I am with you. I think they will the game over multiple releases as they are adding more to the story based upon canon additions over the years. I hope you can afford a PS4 by then!

Warm Regards,
Edhin
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
<<

Tau Hopper

Portrait

Assistant Campus Manager
Assistant Campus Manager

Post 2019.06.20 01:50

Rumour has it that a PC version may be released at a later date, e.g.:

https://www.pcgamer.com/final-fantasy-7-remake-will-debut-first-on-ps4-in-march-leaving-pc-a-possibility/
AMC Assistant Manager | Mining FC, 2nd Class

ImageImageImage
<<

Oni Kaji

Portrait

Post 2019.08.15 12:18

FFVII on PS1 was my first taste of Final Fantasy so I'm probably going to be on board!

The end-of-combat music is BURNED into my soul.

Will I insta-buy on Day 1? Probably not but only because that's my general outlook nowadays. I remember hearing about Red Dead Redemption 2 releasing and spent some time finishing up RDR1 (after 10 years haha) and then some of the reviews of #2 said to wait a while for things to shake out.

I also don't want to get expectations too high. I like going into a movie for example with low expectations and be surprised.

Anyways in general YES I'm excited at seeing the trailer for sure.
Have you gone on and played other recent FF games and MMOs?

Return to Videogames and Media