BOOK CLUB

For discussion of other games, TV, movies, books, etc.
Forum rules
EVE University's usual communications rules apply, so ensure that any topics are appropriate for a family-friendly environment.
Cairbre Dante

BOOK CLUB

Post by Cairbre Dante »

So I thought it would be cool to see what books (for me audio books since I cannot read and work at the same time) you all like as well as share some of my favs. It would probably be best to make sub feeds with the different genres.
Cairbre Dante

Fiction

Post by Cairbre Dante »

I really enjoy all of Nathan Lowells books. I also like the Privateer Tales series by Jamie McFarlane. Still undecided on the Glynn Stewart, "The Duchy of Terra." In other fantasy I really enjoyed the Eragon series by Christopher Paolini.
Last edited by Cairbre Dante on 2018.09.20 00:54, edited 1 time in total.
Cairbre Dante

Non-Fiction

Post by Cairbre Dante »

Non-Fiction posts here.
D'ameni Holmes
Title: Freshman

Re: BOOK CLUB

Post by D'ameni Holmes »

David Drake -- Hammer's Slammers series and the Lt Leary series

David Weber - Honor Harrington

Anne Macaffrey - Crystal singer series
Psychotic Fickity
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Psychotic Fickity »

I like:
Kim Harrison- The Hollows Series ( Rachel Morgan): Dead Witch Walking , The Good, the Bad, and the Undead

Patricia Briggs has 2 series I like- 1)Alpha and Omega: Alpha and Omega, Cry Wolf. 2) Mercy Thompson series: Moon Called, Blood Bound

Michelle Sagara- Chronicles of Elantra: Cast in Shadow, Cast in Courtlight

Steven King: 11/22/63

Elizabeth Kostova: The Historian

Jessica Shattuck: The Women in the Castle

Neil Gaiman: Norse Mythology

Aileen Erin: Becoming alpha, Avoiding alpha

I have more but they are not pg.....
Image ImageImageImageImageImageImage ImageImageImageImageImage
Mike Kingswell
Teaching Manager
Teaching Manager

Post by Mike Kingswell »

I wandered into the detective/pulp/who-dun-it/noir genre long ago and spice it up from time to time with a bit of scifi, classical(and historical) detective stuff and some good fantasy. Will work on this list whenever I get around to it...I read a lot ^^'

SCI FI:
- David Weber's Honor Harrington - Space Navy SciFi of the highest order (must read for eveplayers that like scifi)
- David Weber's Safehold - SciFi meets semihistorical setting

Detective Fiction:
- A.C. Doyle's Sherlock Holmes - honestly...everyone should have read at least the "classics"
- Raymond Chandler's Phillip Marlowe - propbably THE arche type PI out of the golden age of noir - THE classic
- Dennis Lehane's Kenzie and Gennaro - hard boiled private eye stuff
- Dashiell Hammett's The Maltese Falcon - a classic
- Robert Galbraith's Cormoran Strike - J.K. Rowling tackles modern day private eye stories under a pen name and just runs with it
- Robert Crais' Cole and Pike - goovy Cole and his badass partner Pike take your case and things always turn out to be reaaaally bad
- Michael Connelly's Hary Bosch - another PI Series
- Max Allen Collins' Nathan Heller Series - another PI Series

Historical Detective Fiction:
- Edith Pargeter's Brother Cadfael Chronicals (England around 1100 during the civil war)
- Lindsey Davis' Marcus Didius Falco (Detecting in the times of Vespasians Rome)
- Steven Saylor's Roma Sub Rosa (Gordianus the Finder detects in republican Rome)

Crime:
- Richard Stark's Parker - ruthless career criminal as main character

Fantasy:
- Robert Jordan's (+Brandon Sanderson's) The Wheel of Time - epic grand scale fantasyseries that I tend to reread about every 2-3 year because it's that good
- Glen Cook'S Garrett P.I. - Garrett is a classc PI...in a fantasy world with fatasy problems and cases
- Jim Butcher's Dresden Files - Dresden is a PI - and a mage. Set in todays world with fatasy elements and magic being a thing
Teaching Manager
Image Image Image Image
Tal Tracyn
Title: Mentor, Sophomore

Post by Tal Tracyn »

The Forever War - Joe Haldeman - Sci fi
Bill, The Galactic Hero - Harry Harrison - comedy/sci fi - screw warp drive I want Bloater drive !
Pandora's Star - Peter F Hamilton - Sci fi
Mantzikert Askold

Post by Mantzikert Askold »

I've just come off a few years of post-apocalyptic fiction. Interesting, but I think it is time to move on.

At the moment it is mostly Jack Reacher.

However Ready Player One and World War Z are the only books I've read recently that I've read more than once.
Darook Aideron

Post by Darook Aideron »

I am a huge fan of all the Mass Effect books.

also a fan of audiobooks because I am walking to work every day and always listen to them
Anidien Dallacort

Post by Anidien Dallacort »

For Fantasy fans: someone already mentioned Wheel of Time, and I wholly endorse that selection.

For those that like that series, I’d also recommend the Cosmere series by Brandon Sanderson (the author that finished the Wheel of Time after Robert Jordan died). It’s basically several independent series that take place in the same universe and have connecting threads. Mistborn is a great starting place in my opinion.
Anidien Dallacort - Teaching Officer, Mentor, Sophomore

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Celine en Chasteaux

Post by Celine en Chasteaux »

If people are looking for fantasy, I'd highly recommend:

- Name of the Wind
- The First Law trilogy
- The Gentleman Bastard series

And if people are looking for ridiculously long-winded difficult fantasy epics, high risk / high reward books:

- Malazan Book of the Fallen series
Orientation Manager
Woogz

Post by Woogz »

I started reading fantasy books that my Mum had on her book shelf when I was around 8 and have just continued since then. I find it very difficult to branch out into other genres however and it is something I really should explore more.

SCI FI:
- I am only really reading WH40k books here and mostly the Horus Heresy. There are some great books in this series but there are also some downright awful books.

Fantasy:
- Robert Jordan's (+Brandon Sanderson's) The Wheel of Time - I echo Mike's sentiments here. I really need to get back and read this
- Robin Hobb - I absoltely love the Ream of the Enderlings series of books. They are all split into their own sub set of books I.E The Farseet Trilogy, The Liveship traders trilogy or the rain wild chronicles but they are all set in the same world and roughly the same time.
- David Gemmell - Very underrated fantasy writer. The Drenai and Rigante series of books are just amazing with Legend and Waylander being 2 of my favourite books.
- Games workshop - Gotrek and Felix Omnibus + The End times - I have no idea why but I absolutely love these books. Great fantasy set in a world I love based on a game I loved as a kid.
Ezenla Amphitrite
Title: Mentor, Graduate

Post by Ezenla Amphitrite »

Of the stuff already posted I can confirm the excellence of:

Harry Harrison's Bill the Galactic Hero books, though personally I preferred the Stainless Steel Rat series.
Joe Abbercrombie's First Law Trilogy. Probably the best fantasy I've read in the past few years, though I still hate myself for ending up liking Glokta.

I'm currently reading Pandora's Star and quite enjoying it, though you've really got to like Peter F. Hamiltons word heavy style. So approach with caution.

And if I was going to add something new to the list I'd recommend Lois McMaster Bujold. Either the space opera / military scifi of the Vorgosigan Saga. Or the complex fantasy of the Chalion Series. Both offer interesting, character driven, explorations of their respective universes.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." — Groucho Marx
Zech en Marland

Post by Zech en Marland »

For Sci Fi, The Expanse series (James S.A. Corey) is notably missing here. If you've seen the show (Season 4 is currently in production), you know it's good, but the story in the books is much deeper and more interesting. The first book is called "Leviathan Wakes".

The Ready Player One book is good (and different from the movie). The audiobook is read by Wil Wheaton. He does a pretty good job.
Artemis by Andy Weir (author of The Martian and many thought-provoking short stories) is about a heist on the moon in the near future. The audiobook is read by Rosario Dawson.

For a little comedy in your Sci Fi, try the Bobiverse series (starting with "We are Legion (We are Bob)"). The audiobook narration is exceptionally good here.

For some comedy in your Fantasy, try "NPCs" where a group of NPCs close shop and go adventuring. It's part of an ongoing series that actually builds up to a rather more serious and interesting story. Again, the audiobook narration adds to the flavor of the book.

Another audiobook series that has magic, but is really modern-day sci fi, is the Magic 2.0 series. The first book is "Off to be the Wizard".
Zhanshi Chen

Post by Zhanshi Chen »

Personally, I've mainly read military oriented sci-fi (which probably explains why I got into EVE), and I do have a few recommendations.

The first is Joshua Dalzelle, who wrote a series of related novels on space warfare, namely the Black Fleet Trilogy, Expansion Wars Trilogy, and an upcoming third. What's notable about this set of stories is that, for the most part, space warfare is not illustrated like the fast-paced action Star Wars, Star Trek, BSG, or yes, EVE Online depictions. Rather, its a clear "boredom punctuated by moments of sheer terror" type of combat, where space battles often occur at long ranges and take place over days, constant tactical adjustment among a few instances of actual fighting.

To me, this seems more realistic than the other sci-fi depictions, as history proves that not all forms of warfare are the same. In the 1900s, people thought air battles would be more like naval style broadsides (which probably explains the initial rear gunners), but its morphed into the fast-paced dogfighting we know today. Now, we're applying that style of fighting to space. History is bound to repeat.

Less notably but still interesting is the Frontlines series by Marko Kloos. It doesn't really focus as much on space combat as the trilogies I listed, but has a great emphasis on ground combat. I can't draw any parallels here (since I haven't played DUST 514), but its an interesting read nonetheless.

Thanks for putting up with my wall of text (I tend to do that).
"I'm sorry, but I've gotta go. Real life calls."
("And it always seems to call at the most inconvenient of times, but ah well...")