BOOK CLUB

For discussion of other games, TV, movies, books, etc.
Forum rules
EVE University's usual communications rules apply, so ensure that any topics are appropriate for a family-friendly environment.
Elara T'Ratha

Re: BOOK CLUB

Post by Elara T'Ratha »

Hi Hello!
I'm here to list some amazing (in my opinion) books/series to read!
First I'll echo what's already been said about Brandon Sanderson's Cosmere, and that the Mistborn Era 1 Trilogy is a good place to start.

These are mostly (if not completely) sci-fi (in keeping with EVE themes)

The Expanse series by James S.A. Corey - Great books and a solid setting

The Locked Tomb series by Tamsyn Muir - Lesbian Necromancers in Space. No really. Lots of WH40k vibes but also lots of current references.

The First Sister series by Linden A. Lewis - Space opera of politics and warfare between Venus/Mercury and Mars/Earth folk. Lots of great setting.

Memory Called Empire (Book one of the Teixcalaan series) by Arkady Martine - Space politics and diplomacy, meshing with secret cerebral implant technology.

~~~~

Those I've read and they've all stuck with me, I hope y'all enjoy them if you pick them up.
Some series I'd like to get into myself, are known for having a hard learning curve, namely:

Malazan Book of the Fallen - I made it to book 3 or 4, WITH reading guides helping me along the way, but it was still CHONKY

The Culture Series - I've heard good things, but trying to read Consider Phlebas I was very lost and got distracted very quickly.

Honor Harrington series - I've read two of these, and enjoyed them well enough, just never had the desire to continue. I might consider going back and seeing how they progress over time.
Elan Vital

Re: BOOK CLUB

Post by Elan Vital »

I really enjoyed watching The Expanse and I should definitely give the books a try. I haven't read any science fiction in years. I did a deep dive into much of the early stuff in the genre, such as Heinlein, Bradbury, Asimov, and E.E. "Doc" Smith's Lensman series. Perhaps it is time to read more current stuff. I'll check out some of the others on the list as well.
Élan Vital
Community Coordinator • Graduate
Orientation Officer • Intake and Progression Officer • Teaching Officer
ImageImageImageImage
talk to the guns because the cockpit ain't listening