BOOK CLUB

For discussion of other games, TV, movies, books, etc.
Forum rules
EVE University's usual communications rules apply, so ensure that any topics are appropriate for a family-friendly environment.
Elara T'Ratha

Re: BOOK CLUB

Post by Elara T'Ratha »

Hi Hello!
I'm here to list some amazing (in my opinion) books/series to read!
First I'll echo what's already been said about Brandon Sanderson's Cosmere, and that the Mistborn Era 1 Trilogy is a good place to start.

These are mostly (if not completely) sci-fi (in keeping with EVE themes)

The Expanse series by James S.A. Corey - Great books and a solid setting

The Locked Tomb series by Tamsyn Muir - Lesbian Necromancers in Space. No really. Lots of WH40k vibes but also lots of current references.

The First Sister series by Linden A. Lewis - Space opera of politics and warfare between Venus/Mercury and Mars/Earth folk. Lots of great setting.

Memory Called Empire (Book one of the Teixcalaan series) by Arkady Martine - Space politics and diplomacy, meshing with secret cerebral implant technology.

~~~~

Those I've read and they've all stuck with me, I hope y'all enjoy them if you pick them up.
Some series I'd like to get into myself, are known for having a hard learning curve, namely:

Malazan Book of the Fallen - I made it to book 3 or 4, WITH reading guides helping me along the way, but it was still CHONKY

The Culture Series - I've heard good things, but trying to read Consider Phlebas I was very lost and got distracted very quickly.

Honor Harrington series - I've read two of these, and enjoyed them well enough, just never had the desire to continue. I might consider going back and seeing how they progress over time.