Elite Dangerous

Forum rules
EVE University's usual communications rules apply, so ensure that any topics are appropriate for a family-friendly environment.
<<

Amalia Ronuken

Portrait

Post 2019.10.21 23:55

Elite Dangerous

Has anyone tried this game out? I recently bought it for PS4 and so far it seems like a [less social] flight sim version of EVE... Mining, trading, hauling, exploring, combat, smuggling, faction warfare. It was pretty difficult to get comfortable controlling the ships and I'm still pretty terrible at it but it's been pretty fun so far.
<<

DarkMellie

Portrait

Post 2019.12.29 01:23

Re: Elite Dangerous

Elite Dangerous is one of my favourite games. I initially started it on PC using a full flight gear setup (Warthog HOTAS, Track IR, Saitek combat pedals), but got tired of having to get in and out of that gear so I moved over to controller. The control scheme on controller is superb, easily the best configuration of complex controls in existence... and I think it was that configuration that saw Elite transfer over to Xbox which is now where I play it on my xbox one x.

I actually think that Elite opened the door on console for a whole raft of previously PC-only titles to come across, once they realised what was possible. Consoles have always had an almost childlike quality ascribed to them by the PC master race and sometimes that was fair... games like Halo (as much as I love the story) are quite colourful and simplistic. But now we have Stellaris (and more paradox games to come) and Kerbal Space Program and more... anyway...

I love the exploration in Elite, I recently returned to the bubble from my trip to Sagittarius A*, the very centre of the milky way, and just the overall scale of the game is incredible. 400 billion stars that you can visit.. and players across three platforms playing for years have still barely covered a few percent of that distance... and I love that my name is permanently on something like 50 stars as the first explorer.

Combat is also incredible... it is absolutely stunning to have a host of ships all cracking off lasers and the like, it's a visual feast.

There's so much to do in the game now too, the exploration mechanics are brilliant, mining is easily the best implementation of mining in a space game ever done (seriously, check this vid from 5:11, https://youtu.be/nIfZu1clbRg). Trading, missions, weekly missions... even how they roll out the universe is amazing. They'll drop little articles into the weekly 'GALNET' news service that would normally just be flavour text, but players follow the clues and unveil Thargoids, missing giant ships...

Hell, Thargoids alone were brilliantly introduced... and then people went on to find hidden thargoid temples and other sites. Normally, Hyperjumping from system to system is just like a very pretty loading screen, but then one day this happened.

They've really done an exceptional job and there's more DLC coming soon, one of which will introduce Carriers finally that players can buy and use in their corporations.

Really quite thrilling stuff.

Return to Videogames and Media