BOOK CLUB

Forum rules
EVE University's usual communications rules apply, so ensure that any topics are appropriate for a family-friendly environment.
<<

Cairbre Dante

Portrait

Post 2018.09.16 22:56

BOOK CLUB

So I thought it would be cool to see what books (for me audio books since I cannot read and work at the same time) you all like as well as share some of my favs. It would probably be best to make sub feeds with the different genres.
<<

Cairbre Dante

Portrait

Post 2018.09.16 23:02

Fiction

I really enjoy all of Nathan Lowells books. I also like the Privateer Tales series by Jamie McFarlane. Still undecided on the Glynn Stewart, "The Duchy of Terra." In other fantasy I really enjoyed the Eragon series by Christopher Paolini.
Last edited by Cairbre Dante on 2018.09.20 00:54, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Cairbre Dante

Portrait

Post 2018.09.16 23:04

Non-Fiction

Non-Fiction posts here.
<<

D'ameni Holmes

Portrait

Post 2018.09.30 00:28

Re: BOOK CLUB

David Drake -- Hammer's Slammers series and the Lt Leary series

David Weber - Honor Harrington

Anne Macaffrey - Crystal singer series
<<

Psychotic Fickity

Portrait

Post 2018.09.30 00:44

I like:
Kim Harrison- The Hollows Series ( Rachel Morgan): Dead Witch Walking , The Good, the Bad, and the Undead

Patricia Briggs has 2 series I like- 1)Alpha and Omega: Alpha and Omega, Cry Wolf. 2) Mercy Thompson series: Moon Called, Blood Bound

Michelle Sagara- Chronicles of Elantra: Cast in Shadow, Cast in Courtlight

Steven King: 11/22/63

Elizabeth Kostova: The Historian

Jessica Shattuck: The Women in the Castle

Neil Gaiman: Norse Mythology

Aileen Erin: Becoming alpha, Avoiding alpha

I have more but they are not pg.....
<<

Mike Kingswell

Portrait

Post 2018.09.30 09:19

I wandered into the detective/pulp/who-dun-it/noir genre long ago and spice it up from time to time with a bit of scifi, classical(and historical) detective stuff and some good fantasy. Will work on this list whenever I get around to it...I read a lot ^^'

SCI FI:
- David Weber's Honor Harrington - Space Navy SciFi of the highest order (must read for eveplayers that like scifi)
- David Weber's Safehold - SciFi meets semihistorical setting

Detective Fiction:
- A.C. Doyle's Sherlock Holmes - honestly...everyone should have read at least the "classics"
- Raymond Chandler's Phillip Marlowe - propbably THE arche type PI out of the golden age of noir - THE classic
- Dennis Lehane's Kenzie and Gennaro - hard boiled private eye stuff
- Dashiell Hammett's The Maltese Falcon - a classic
- Robert Galbraith's Cormoran Strike - J.K. Rowling tackles modern day private eye stories under a pen name and just runs with it
- Robert Crais' Cole and Pike - goovy Cole and his badass partner Pike take your case and things always turn out to be reaaaally bad
- Michael Connelly's Hary Bosch - another PI Series
- Max Allen Collins' Nathan Heller Series - another PI Series

Historical Detective Fiction:
- Edith Pargeter's Brother Cadfael Chronicals (England around 1100 during the civil war)
- Lindsey Davis' Marcus Didius Falco (Detecting in the times of Vespasians Rome)
- Steven Saylor's Roma Sub Rosa (Gordianus the Finder detects in republican Rome)

Crime:
- Richard Stark's Parker - ruthless career criminal as main character

Fantasy:
- Robert Jordan's (+Brandon Sanderson's) The Wheel of Time - epic grand scale fantasyseries that I tend to reread about every 2-3 year because it's that good
- Glen Cook'S Garrett P.I. - Garrett is a classc PI...in a fantasy world with fatasy problems and cases
- Jim Butcher's Dresden Files - Dresden is a PI - and a mage. Set in todays world with fatasy elements and magic being a thing
Teacher, Events Staff
ImageImageImageImageImage
<<

Tal Tracyn

Portrait

Post 2018.10.13 12:06

The Forever War - Joe Haldeman - Sci fi
Bill, The Galactic Hero - Harry Harrison - comedy/sci fi - screw warp drive I want Bloater drive !
Pandora's Star - Peter F Hamilton - Sci fi

Return to Videogames and Media