Subnautica

Forum rules
EVE University's usual communications rules apply, so ensure that any topics are appropriate for a family-friendly environment.
<<

Cizer Austrene

Portrait

Post 2018.01.31 18:44

Subnautica

http://store.steampowered.com/app/264710/Subnautica/

This game had been completely off my radar. I heard about it on Bjorn Bee's twitch stream. It looked pretty slick so I took the plunge (pun intended). I'd definitely recommend the game if you're a Minecraft fan. It's like a prettier Minecraft that is set under water. A nice calming game after some tense Eve PVP.
<<

Quinn Sinjin

Portrait

Post 2018.02.09 23:28

Re: Subnautica

I'd recommend it too. It can be played either as a pure survival game, base builder game, or a mixture of the two. And despite being very relaxing there can be some adrenaline pumping moments. I remember early on being in just diving gear with my air tank (there are no weapons in this game) and hearing a deep lowing noise. When you don't yet know if that's a friend or foe it can be very worrying and reminds you how vulnerable you are!
<<

Cassiel Seraphim

Portrait

Campus Manager
Campus Manager

Post 2018.02.10 09:09

Something that's hard to gauge from various youtubers ... how is the material grind? This can easily make or break a game for me, if it's too restrictive on material that you spend more time grinding for materials than anything else. Early on it seemed to be horrendous (as in taking forever), how are the later builds? Most youtubers cut out the material grind, so I have no sense of how bad it is.
<<

Gilly Hakaari

Portrait

Post 2018.02.10 13:36

Cassiel Seraphim wrote:Something that's hard to gauge from various youtubers ... how is the material grind? This can easily make or break a game for me, if it's too restrictive on material that you spend more time grinding for materials than anything else. Early on it seemed to be horrendous (as in taking forever), how are the later builds? Most youtubers cut out the material grind, so I have no sense of how bad it is.

Later it gets much easier as you aqcuire ways to grow plants/ breed animals so you can be self sufficient on that front, metals will always be somewhat of a grind because you have to go get them from whatever zones theyre in, but again, later in the game you get vehicles that make it much faster/easier

Its an amazing game and I cant recommend it enough, looks stunning as well and some areas can get super spooky
<<

Jameson Bolmara

Portrait

Orientation Manager
Orientation Manager

Post 2018.07.05 14:30

I picked it up during the current Spring Sale and have ordered a controller so I can play it in VR. Even in 2d it's fun and the graphics are outstanding.

JB

ImageImageImage
ImageImage Image
Image ImageImage

I am always looking for Orientation Officers, if you are interested apply here!
<<

Cassiel Seraphim

Portrait

Campus Manager
Campus Manager

Post 2018.07.05 20:22

Oh yeah, might as well mention that I ended up getting it and loved it. For a bit it got somewhat frustrating because I had taken a pad out of order and thus didn't get the hint to the next area to explore ... but overall the game was amazing and felt rewarding to finally finish it off. While the story was certainly good and added to the game, the atmosphere would be the thing I would praise the most.
<<

Ariea Thellare

Portrait

Production Manager
Production Manager

Post 2018.07.05 22:32

yeah,
It's an awesome game. I bought it way back in early early access.
and in a year or so there will be an arctic DLC
SRP Officer | Graduate | Killboard Staff | Production Manager

ImageImageImageImageImage

ImageImage

Return to Videogames and Media