[COMPLETED][EVENT] EVE Uni Thursday Fight Club (UFC) - Slays, Weekly on Thursdays @ 19:00EVE

For information about upcoming EVE University events.
Forum rules
Post information about upcoming events here. If you would like some assistance in advertising an event speak to our communications team.
Ewige Blumenkraft

Re: [EVENT] EVE Uni Fight Club (UFC) - Stacmon, Weekly on Thursdays @ 19:00EVE

Post by Ewige Blumenkraft »

Arin Mara wrote: 2022.06.11 10:52 An exceptionally fun Event! You get paired with a Fleet Member, you jump in the arena and shoot!

Overloading, keeping up transversal, capacitor management, shooting down Drones, ... you get to experience PvP in a theater of violence! If these phrases sound foreign to you, don't worry. The winner openly explains what they did to beat you. :)

A few suggestions:
  • if the Event moved to Slays, update the Forum Thread
  • well matched capsuleers should fight to the death - when the winner is deep into hull, it is difficult to stop at 25%
  • everyone should use a standardized Ship Fit - it is easier to give and receive feedback
  • announce that recording/publishing of Event is ok in the Forum Thread - that's the most convenient place for pre-planned Events
Arin! Thank you so very much for attending. Beyond the PvP experience of UFC, I really love that you never know who will show up any given week and especially enjoy when managers and directors attend. It's fantastic to meet your fellow Unistas whom you might only know from Discord. Entirely different getting to fly against them (and you flew quite well...).

Thanks for taking the time to give us your feedback. We welcome any opportunity to make things better.
  • Missing the Slays move was entirely my fault. For those catching up on this thread, Stacmon is an Edencom system and as such, gives a 10% bonus to armor-tanked (or armour, if that's your preference) ships and a +1 to warp scramble strength. It was decided at the end of the last Fight Club to move to Slays in order to not have any built-in bonuses for ship fits. I'm responsible for forum posts, pings, etc. and I dropped the ball. Not an excuse, but a reason: when I PvP, I still get that crazy adrenalin dump which most certainly does not help the tabula rasa inside my poor noggin. The forum thread has been updated and all future communications will be correct. I'll also keep a pen and paper handy; if I write it down, I don't forget it. I shall also add the recording/publishing note.
  • I, too, have a really hard time stopping combat (see previous about adrenalin dumps and I have individually SRP'd a player who hadn't agreed to combat to the death. They actually didn't care about it, but it was the principle that was at stake there.) and I understand your comment. However, ascertaining how well matched any two capsuleers are in a time-efficient fashion seems challenging to me. (and please correct me, anyone, if you disagree). That being said, I lean towards the death of the ship by default and have 25% hull/non-destruction of the ship be the exception. Just stating my preference; this does not mean the rules have changed.
  • As to having everyone flying a standardized fit, I disagree, but I'm not discounting your feedback. The rules are quite specific about what may be flown: Tech 1 empire frigates with Tech 1 modules (meta 4 or below), and base Tech 1 ammunition and charges; the one exception being T2 Damage Control modules are allowed. The UFC fits fall within this. Or for example, so does the thoroughly unexpected sentry drone, blaster-fitted Tristan that dispatched me quite successfully a couple Fight Clubs ago. I believe that adapting and improvising when one finds your adversary isn't fitted to your expectation is fantastic training for PvP because this happens in actual PvP. Additionally, the rules are constrained well enough to allow experimentation without granting undue advantage outside of the capsuleer's inherent deviousness (might be looking at you, Rogue).
All of that being said, we're open to different viewpoints and suggestions and most importantly, how to accommodate them. There is only one dictator in this corporation--all we want to do is make sure that UFC is both fun and educational.
Ewige Blumenkraft
EVE University alumnus, bon vivant, and Uni Fight Club afficianado
don't bring a needle to a haystack fight
Ewige Blumenkraft

Re: [EVENT] EVE Uni Fight Club (UFC) - Slays, Weekly on Thursdays @ 19:00EVE

Friends: if you love UFC's Thursdays in Slays, you're going to simply go crazy for the Weekend Edition: EVE Uni Fight Club for US timezones.

NEXT: Weekend Edition: Saturday Night Fight Club - 24 July 2022 @ 2:00EVE

Previously, on Fight Club...
[COMPLETED] Weekend Edition: Saturday Night Fight Club - 10 July @ 2:00EVE
Ewige Blumenkraft
Ewige Blumenkraft

Re: [EVENT] EVE Uni Thursday Fight Club (UFC) - Slays, Weekly on Thursdays @ 19:00EVE

For new players, players new to Fight Club or PvP in general, we have a new players Fight Club F.A.Q. that may answer many of your pre-event, pre-fight questions.

We hope to see you at the next Fight Club.
Ewige Blumenkraft
Wilruk Osterhus

Re: [EVENT] EVE Uni Thursday Fight Club (UFC) - Slays, Weekly on Thursdays @ 19:00EVE

Post by Wilruk Osterhus »

I had a very fun and educational time at Thursday Fight Club today. Thank you for this organized and well-run event. I'm new to EVE, The University, and very new to PVP and was initally reluctant to join because I'm so inexperienced. However, I'm happy that I took the plunge and joined in the matches. If you are new and have even an inkling of interest or curiousity in PVP, then seriously consider making time to attend a Fight Club for a safe and friendly atmosphere to learn more and meet a great group.
Arkady Marten
Production Manager
Production Manager

Post by Arkady Marten »

Wilruk Osterhus wrote: 2022.07.21 23:08 I had a very fun and educational time at Thursday Fight Club today. ...
Happy to hear that you had a good experience and a fun time at Fight Club! Feedback such as yours makes us motivated to keep going and provide this environment where everbody hopefully can take away some new insights each time!
Image Image
Ewige Blumenkraft

Bumped because it is Fight Club Day and we have 2v2 fights today. 19:00 EVE in Slays.
Ewige Blumenkraft
Ewige Blumenkraft

In the 13 October episode of UFC, we’d like to feature 2v2 combat. Sure, we’ll still have rounds of the classic 1v1 UFC that you know and love, but we’d like to see Unistas really mix it up in some spicy 2v2 frigate PvP.

The standard rules still apply: Tech 1 empire frigates with Tech 1 modules (meta 4 or below), and base Tech 1 ammunition and charges; the one exception being T2 Damage Control modules are allowed. You’ll have separate comms from your opponents, so you’ll want to make sure those whisper keys are set.

You have between now and Thursday to secure your teammate, your fits, and your strategy. And if you can’t get a teammate before then, I feel confident you’ll be able to find one when you join us Thursday for EVE Uni Fight Club at 19:00EVE time.

ALSO: Spectators are always welcome at Fight Club. New to EVE Uni? New to PvP? Join us in comms and come out to watch the fights. It's quite fun and you'll learn a lot just by being there.
Ewige Blumenkraft
Lan Man

Post by Lan Man »

First, have done two of these so far, and echoing previous posters that I'm learning a lot both in fitting and how to manage / not immediately flame out in PvP fights, while still being well controlled, low risk, friendly, low stress overall. To anyone on the fence about attending, just jump in.

Also, posting it here for posterity, my simultaneous kill with Shukken Tekitsu. (zkillboard links: Lan , Shukken)
Lan Man
Pronouns: He/him/they | Wiki
Image ImageImageImageImage
Ewige Blumenkraft

Re: [EVENT] EVE Uni Thursday Fight Club (UFC) - Slays, Weekly on Thursdays @ 20:00EVE

Fight Club After Dark - T1 Frigates with full T2 Fits

Starting today, we're introducing a new and completely optional variation for Uni Fight Club that we are calling "Fight Club After Dark". The typical UFC fits are strictly limited in what they may fit. T2 modules and especially the T2 ammo opens up additional strategies in 1v1 frigate fights. Fight Club After Dark furthermore provides a bridge between the regular Fight Club and actual lowsec engagements in the wild.

Most importantly: You can still fly in the standard UFC fits--that hasn't changed. You are under no pressure to fly anything other than the standard ruleset UFC fits. However, you now have a new option available to make things a little spicier.

Rules
Hulls: T1 Empire Frigates and Venture only; no Faction/Pirate Frigates, no T2 Frigates, no Triglavian/Edencom Frigates
Modules/Rigs: everything up to T2 (meta 5) allowed; no faction/officer modules
Ammo/Drones/Charges: T1, faction, and T2 allowed; no Augmented drones

We do hope to see you there.
Ewige Blumenkraft
Agrius Sasen

Re: [EVENT] EVE Uni Thursday Fight Club (UFC) - Slays, Weekly on Thursdays @ 20:00EVE

Post by Agrius Sasen »

Absolutely fantastic event that I probably should not talk too much about, heh. Gave me some good basic understanding in frigate v. frigate fights, and the feedback helped me address some of the issues I have had in fights. Enjoyed it greatly as someone with no experience, can't recommend enough.
WKC

Post by WKC »

Fight club was TOO FUN today!
Colt Takan

Post by Colt Takan »

Had a blast today and learned a lot in FC. I've heard from multiple people that they didn't think FC was relevant for them, but I really think there's something for everyone here. And it's just pure fun hanging out. Thanks to those who put the event on, it was well done. Can't recommend enough!!
Arkady Marten
Production Manager
Production Manager

Post by Arkady Marten »

Thank you so much for the great feedback from all three of you! It's appreciated!

We absolutely agree that Fight Club can offer something for everyone, even if somebody is not looking to get into solo PvP or much of PvP at all. It can help understand weapon systems and engagement strategies better, which can make your PvE combat more effective as well.
Image Image
Ewige Blumenkraft

BATTLE VENTURES ONLY - Uni Fight Club on 1 Dec at 20:00 EVE in Slays

The 1 December Fight Club will have a "miner" change from the regular format. (I already feel terrible about that horrible pun.) That's right--it's time to bring it in Battle Ventures only! You'll be mining, but in this case, mining for sweet, sweet damage on your opponents ship.

Perhaps your response is "Hey, I'm not much at fitting ships and I wouldn't know where to start". Fear not, some example fits will be provided and those fits will be available on contract for this special Fight Club.

You can fly one of those ships, but why not stretch a bit and experiment with some fits? Mirror match fights can be unpredictable. Make a meme fit. Bring the most insane thing that you want. Or theorycraft it to the New Eden Gate and back again. There is no downside here. This is just some fun before the holidays. Fight Club is about fun and learning--this one will be particularly fun. You won't find yourself flying a brawler versus a kiter. Every fight will be just two Ventures squaring off and punching each other silly.

We'll have two fitting categories that you may choose from as long as you flying a Venture. You'll only fight pilots in your fitting category.

Category 1: Traditional UFC fitting
Modules/Rigs: Tech 1 modules (meta 4 or below)
Ammo/Drones/Charges: base Tech 1 ammunition and charges; the one exception being T2 Damage Control modules are allowed.

Category 2: Fight Club After Dark
Modules/Rigs: everything up to T2 (meta 5) allowed; no faction/officer modules
Ammo/Drones/Charges: T1, faction, and T2 allowed; no Augmented drones

Please join us on 1 December for Battle Ventures! Nothing Ventured, nothing gained. (Oh, boy...I'll just show my self out after that one)
Ewige Blumenkraft
Ewige Blumenkraft

Arkady Marten has provided some fits for our Battle Venture Fight Club session this coming Thursday. We'll have both these fits available on contract, but don't let that stop you from devising your own devious bruiser of a Battle Venture. See you on Thursday at Fight Club!

UFC Brawler Venture
Spoiler
[Venture, UFC Brawler]

Damage Control II

5MN Cold-Gas Enduring Microwarpdrive
Faint Epsilon Scoped Warp Scrambler
X5 Enduring Stasis Webifier

Anode Light Neutron Particle Cannon I
Anode Light Neutron Particle Cannon I
Small Knave Scoped Energy Nosferatu

Small Transverse Bulkhead I
Small Transverse Bulkhead I