[COMPLETED][EVENT] EVE Uni Thursday Fight Club (UFC) - Slays, Weekly on Thursdays @ 19:00EVE

For information about upcoming EVE University events.
Forum rules
Post information about upcoming events here. If you would like some assistance in advertising an event speak to our communications team.
Re Booker

Re: [EVENT] EVE Uni Thursday Fight Club (UFC) - Slays, Weekly on Thursdays @ 20:00EVE

Post by Re Booker »

Elan, i was just wondering really but do you guys ever split the alpha and omega pilots up or the pilots with potentially a lot of skill points from those that are pretty new? Does that actually even make much of a difference at all in T1 fit frigs or do you tend to see that the fights can still go either way? It's just out of curiosity really as i have not had a chance to come along yet but it sounds like it could be a load of fun.
Ewige Blumenkraft

Re: [EVENT] EVE Uni Thursday Fight Club (UFC) - Slays, Weekly on Thursdays @ 20:00EVE

Post by Ewige Blumenkraft »

This is a fantastic question. Of course, it is hard to negate the character skill differences between a freshly-minted player and a 10-, 15-, or more year old character. The Fight Club fits are based upon very easily attainable skills whether Alpha or Omega. We do not spilt players into different categories based upon subscription type. As Arkady Marten could readily verify, we have witnessed players with really high skills get beaten by new players. Any pilot can prevail in any given engagement. Outside of fights where the mismatch of ships determines the outcome, even the most experienced and character-skilled players can make terminal mistakes. This is what makes PvP so interesting.

I would add that Fight Club isn't about winning or losing; it is about learning and having fun. We don't keep track of who wins each engagement.

And one more point: winning a fight doesn't teach you as much as losing a fight may. Winning fights can convince you that you are much better than you might actually be. Often it is losing fights and then getting to discuss it with the other pilot that fosters the greater learning.

I hope I do get to see you at Fight Club. Where else are you a) able to fly a free ship, b) fight someone who is doing their best to win, c) will help you with a debrief, and d) laugh a whole lot along the way? If you do attend Fight Club, I promise you that you will become a more deliberate, intentional, and successful PvP'er. And you will have a whole lot of fun in the process.
Ewige Blumenkraft
EVE University alumnus, bon vivant, and Uni Fight Club afficianado
don't bring a needle to a haystack fight
Arkady Marten
Production Manager
Production Manager

Post by Arkady Marten »

I wholeheartedly agree with Élan's answer, and also that this was a great question to bring up!

I have just one addition: For a player completely new to PvP who may have done just a few PvE missions when starting out, going into that first fight can understandably be daunting. If somebody wishes it, we are very happy to arrange fights where the other pilot is deliberately holding back a little, allowing you to take your time at the start of the fight - orienting yourself in the arena, working out which overview setting to use to be able to lock up your sparring partner in the first place, getting your ship moving and modules activated, etc. No matter how that first fight turns out, even just completing the steps to get into the fight and applying some damage to your opponent will be considered a win!

I don't know your background, but you are welcome to join us at Fight Club anytime and request such an introductory fight.
Image Image
Re Booker

Post by Re Booker »

Brilliant, thanks guys.

It took me a few days to notice the replies so sorry for getting back to you a little late.

It's always nice to be back in eve with good quality replies on the forums! I can relate to some of this from other games (and life) such as "winning a fight doesn't teach you as much as losing a fight may." Totally agree, i get my arse handed to me in most games until I start working on those weaknesses.. Im looking at you Overwatch and Rocket League *shakes fist angrily*.

Anyways, I shall be along to them soon as it does sound like a really good thing to try out. In my previous years in game I never really practiced PvP to hone my skills but I have been really looking forward to getting back into the fleet and social side of eve. (just needed to get the christmas holiday out of the way first).
Oler AlSudar

Post by Oler AlSudar »

I had the opportunity to participate yesterday, it was great! :blob6:

I loved the open feedback of the contenders after each fight, allowing all the pilots present to learn from the success and errors of other pilots, learning about game mechanics, tactics and more!

I am looking forward to do it again and I strongly recommend all others to Participate.

Thanks Elan Vital for organizing this events!
Zhao Vinas

Post by Zhao Vinas »

This was great, it was a excellent introduction to PVP and has left me wanting more.

I'll definitely be attending again and highly recommend it to others wanting a way to get started without being totally overwhelmed.
Ewige Blumenkraft

Oler AlSudar wrote: 2023.01.06 07:39 I had the opportunity to participate yesterday, it was great! :blob6:

I loved the open feedback of the contenders after each fight, allowing all the pilots present to learn from the success and errors of other pilots, learning about game mechanics, tactics and more!

I am looking forward to do it again and I strongly recommend all others to Participate.
Oler, thank you so much! Very happy that you took advantage of Fight Club and that you enjoyed it.
Zhao Vinas wrote: 2023.01.14 13:40 This was great, it was a excellent introduction to PVP and has left me wanting more.

I'll definitely be attending again and highly recommend it to others wanting a way to get started without being totally overwhelmed.
Zhao, UFC is fantastic and when people have the kind of experience you did, it makes the entry into PvP in the wild easier.

There is something special about the opportunity afforded by Fight Club. Arkady and I have kept this going weekly since May of last year (with a few exceptions) and want to keep it going as long as possible.
Ewige Blumenkraft
Ewige Blumenkraft

Friends, my apologies. I am without power and my local utility tells me that it doesn’t expect to have my power restored until about 23:30 EVE time.

So, it is great sorrow that we have to cancel today’s (16 Feb) Fight Club. I am, though, scheduling a replacement for this week’s Fight Club for this Saturday 18 Feb at 18:00 EVE. I hope to see everyone there.

I hope that nobody has been inconvenienced terribly by this force majeure circumstance. See you Saturday and then back to Thursdays.
Ewige Blumenkraft
Ray Kelion

Post by Ray Kelion »

This was fun. I died a lot and learned a lot, just as I expected. Looking forward to joining again some time soon.
Thanks to the organisers and everyone who gave me such great advice!
Ewige Blumenkraft

Ray Kelion wrote: 2023.02.23 22:04 This was fun. I died a lot and learned a lot, just as I expected. Looking forward to joining again some time soon.
Thanks to the organisers and everyone who gave me such great advice!
Ray, thank you so much for coming to Fight Club. I hope we get to see you again soon.
Ewige Blumenkraft
Ewige Blumenkraft

Re: [EVENT] EVE Uni Thursday Fight Club (UFC) - Slays, Weekly on Thursdays @ 19:00EVE

Special Saturday Edition EVE Uni Fight Club - 8 Apr at 20:00 EVE

Because we had to suspend the fun on Thursday, let us make up for it by blowing up spaceships in a most vigorous and vitriolic fashion in a very special weekend Fight Club. If you have never been to Fight Club, do check out the rules and fits as well as the FAQ.

Join me on Saturday, 8 April for some Fight Club. Join fleet, pick up a free ship from contract in Dariek's Chateau in Slays, fly on out, and join in the mayhem.
Ewige Blumenkraft
Moritz Gaterau

Re: [COMPLETED][EVENT] EVE Uni Thursday Fight Club (UFC) - Slays, Weekly on Thursdays @ 19:00EVE

Post by Moritz Gaterau »

EVE Uni Fight Club - May 2023

11th May @18:30 EVE
18th May @18:30 EVE Cancelled do to RL issue

FIGHT CLUB HOST: Moritz Gaterau
LOCATION: Slays, UFC The Octagon - Bleacher (will be available in Stacmon Bookmark Folder 8 - Fight Club)
WHEN: 11 and 18 May -Thursdays @ 18:30 EVE
DURATION: 2 hours
COMMS: Mumble, Foxtrot Fleet Channel
FORMAT: Tech 1 empire frigates with Tech 1 modules (meta 4 or below), and base Tech 1 ammunition and charges; the one exception being T2 Damage Control modules are allowed.
SHIPS: On contract in Dairek's Chateau, Slays or bring that fit you've been wanting to try
RULES: Complete rules and fits
PVP EXPERIENCE: None. No previous PVP experience required!
WHO CAN PARTICIPATE: Members of EVE University, their in-corp alts, and even their out-of-corp alts! There can never be enough Fight Club.

With Elan Vital taking a well deserved break from hosting UFC, I will be taking matters into my own hand and will be hosting Uni Fight club by myself for this month. Come and join us in creating Space Violence, while learning how to blow up the precious ships of other players.

Fly Dangerous o7,

Moritz Gaterau
Last edited by Moritz Gaterau on 2023.05.18 10:59, edited 2 times in total.
ImageImage Image Image Image
Shaemus O'Conor

Re: [COMPLETED][EVENT] EVE Uni Thursday Fight Club (UFC) - Slays, Weekly on Thursdays @ 19:00EVE

Post by Shaemus O'Conor »

Thanks for holding the event on the 11th, it was awesome to try out different stuff and talk about it afterwards.

Will definitley x up again next week!
Communications Officer - Quartermaster Officer

Ex-Communications Manager

Image Image Image Image Image Image