[EVENT] 2021.01.27 18:00 Beautify the Wiki

For information about upcoming EVE University events.
Forum rules
Post information about upcoming events here. If you would like some assistance in planning or advertising your event, contact our Events Department.
Arin Mara

[EVENT] 2021.01.27 18:00 Beautify the Wiki

Post by Arin Mara »

Beautify the Wiki
... I’m Jilo, current CEO of EVE Uni and custodian of that little known, seldom used site, the Wiki.
Jilokrai Kurvora

Joy, joy, joy! As long as University CEOs (have a sense of humor and) introduce themselves as Stewards, bright days are ahead. The Wiki is popular, a lighthouse of knowledge like no other, but we cannot afford to be complacent.

With so many existing pages, so many patches, updates, tweaks, changes and expansions New Eden counts on the Wiki, now more then ever, to be their guiding light. Let us make the Wiki brighter then any Cynosural Field by making information already present on the Wiki more pleasing to the mind.

COSMOS Missions can only be done once. If you decline, let them expire or fail the Mission, it's over: you will never be able to do it again. It is imperative that all COSMOS Agents be identified, their locations revealed, their rewards examined and their Missions described.

Kelon Darklight (with help from Sir Horizon) has announced that they are about to finish cataloguing all COSMOS Missions. All the data is already on the Wiki, we just need to beautify their marvelous collection. We owe this much to Kelon and to New Eden!

Basic Information
  • When: 2021.01.27 18:00 and will last 2.5 hours with an optional 1 hour extension
  • Where: dock up and join from any station in New Eden
  • Who: anyone that signed up for the Event will be able to participate
  • Requirements: Gmail email address that you don't mind sharing publicly for sign up and a EVE Online account for Wiki login
  • Rewards:

If you'd like to know more about the Event see the previous:

I need to add you to the Beautification Candidates Google Sheet, so you can pick which pages you want to edit. Send a Gmail email address you don't mind sharing publicly to "Arin Mara" by EVE mail, Discord or Forum. [1]

Note:
  • After you sign up you are free not to attend. You may cancel at any time for any reason without giving prior notice.
  • You may join late and leave the Event early.
  • If you are unable to finish editing a page during the Event, feel free to finish it after the Event. I will also give ISK for any and all edits up to 48h after the Event has ended. :)
  • If you signed up for the previous Event, you are already registered and free to attend. :)

At the start of the Event

Join the Fleet "EVE Uni Wiki Fleet" advertised in the Fleet or the Alliance Chat Channel window. Say hello in the Fleet Chat Channel. :) I'll answer questions and provide clarification, if need be, during the whole Event.

Optionally, you may also join "EVEUni: Public classes, Q&Ąs", EVE Universities Public Mumble, "General Purpose - GP Eta". I'll answer questions and provide clarification there too. Observe Combat Comms protocols at all times. Wiki editing is intellectually intensive work and we must keep distractions to a minimum.

Before the Event

During the Event you will:
  • Transcribe an image of the Overview or Mission Agent window
  • Fit Mission and COSMOS Site details into a Wiki Template
  • Put the information in the correct order

All the data about every COSMOS Mission is already present on the Wiki. You do not need to complete a single COSMOS Mission, merely beautify the existing Wiki pages. :)

To assist you with learning I:
  • encourage you to take a look at the Editing a Page Guide
  • strongly suggest you edit the Wiki Sandbox where you can do no harm
  • have listed Tools that will help you with editing
  • have listed Wiki Templates that you'll use to beautify a page
  • have listed Examples of pages beautified by previous Event attendees

If you are new to Wiki editing, expect that you won't beautify a single page for an hour. Expect anxiety, stress and frustration. It's your body telling you a worthwhile challenge is before you, that you are learning. When you overcome it, you will feel satisfaction and contentment.

Tools you may find useful:

Wiki Templates you might need:
  • MissionBriefing for Mission Briefing and lore
  • Missiondetails for noting the name, level, type, faction, reward and other Mission details
  • MessageBox for Mission debriefing, warp in message or text generated in Local Chat Channel
  • CMBSiteInfo for COSMOS Sites
  • NPCTableHead for transcribing Fleets and Structures [2]

Iris Ayanami's Before and After of Agent image transcription.
Note:
  • That you can download the image, cut it into smaller pieces and show each one to the OCR tool
  • You may need to clean up any OCR grammar, spelling and punctuation mistakes
  • Replace specific Pilot names with '''<Character>'''
  • You can add a bit of flare and add an Agent image
  • Leave "?" if you know the Mission increases Faction Standing but you don't know by how much
  • How Iris wrote the Time Bonus, ordered the rewards and kept the m3 item volume

Marvin Redsock's Before and After of Mission detail and Fleet image transcription.
Note:
  • Sometimes you won't be able to fill in the whole Template; don't worry about it, fill in as much as you can
  • You can add headers to separate the Missions
  • How Marvin separated Kelon's notes from Mission details
  • That Marvin replaced the original raw info and image with the Wiki Templates
  • How Marvin ordered the ships within the template by size, from smallest to largest

Arkady Marten's Before and After of COSMOS Site and Fleet image transcription.
Note:
  • See the notes beneath Marvin's and Iris' example. Do you see a similarity?
  • Can you spot what Arkady, Marvin and Iris did differently? They all added a detail unique to their page, a kind of a signature :)

During the Event

You will:
  1. Go to EVE University Wiki
  2. Click the "EVE LOG IN with EVE Online" silver button in the upper right corner of the Wiki. Sign in, switch user and authorize. [3]
  3. Open up the Beautification Candidates Google Sheet [4]
  4. Find a page you'd like to edit
  5. Write your name under "Editor" to let everyone know it's taken and click the checkbox "Doing"
  6. Click the "Edit" button in the top-right corner
  7. Compare the current page with the examples I've listed
  8. Edit the page: replace the image or text with a Wiki Template I've listed, add a descriptive "Summary" and click "Submit changes"; feel free to split your work over multiple edits
  9. When you are done with editing a page, click the checkbox "Done" in the Beautification Candidates Google Sheet
  10. Congratulations! :) You've made the Wiki much more beautiful; see if you want to edit any other page

The Event may not be recorded.

References

[1] Instead of me assigning a page to you, I want to allow you to choose the page you want to edit. Registration also prevents vandalism. Registration is a tough ask, but just ask yourself: what would happen if a prankster could edit a public Google Sheet? Thank you so much for registering yet another Gmail email adress so you can help out New Eden's most celebrated Wiki. :)

[2] Don't forget to add

Code: Select all

<noinclude>{{NPCTableCSS}}</noinclude>
to the bottom of the page if using NPCTableHead.

[3] The Wiki redirects you to the EVE Online login website, asks you to login, tells you what kind of authorization the Wiki wants and if you click authorize your browser will be given a short lived token that the Wiki uses to recognize who you are. At no point do you give your password to the Wiki or EVE University.

[4] I've attached an Effort Level to each Wiki page. An Effort Level 3 means a page will take about 15 minutes to edit, while an Effort Level 12 page will take about 60 minutes. You will be awarded a token amount of ISK, about 1M per Effort Level as a thank you for your contribution.
[/size]

Appendix

The Event's purpose is to:
  • Preserve the knowledge for generations to come
  • Beautify the Wiki, the face of EVE University
  • Teach capsuleers about contributing to the Wiki, Templates, conventions and style
  • Attract new Wiki contributors
  • Show how much effort goes into maintaining the Wiki
  • Make EVE University more well known in New Eden
  • Develop the team spirit

After the Event I'll write an After Action Report where I'll list attendees, prizes, results, Event observations and notes.

Send all feedback, questions and comments via EVE mail, Discord or Forum as I cannot view feedback submitted through the Event Feedback Form.
Last edited by Arin Mara on 2021.01.26 12:02, edited 1 time in total.
Arin Mara

Re: [EVENT] 2021.01.27 18:00 Beautify the Wiki

Post by Arin Mara »

(Daily) Sign-up Updates

• 2021/01/24 18:00:
    • I have registered the first batch of capsuleers. It took me 3 hours to process all the registration requests and questions :D Don't spare me! Keep them coming! Be the next capsuleer who signs up :)
  • 2021/01/25 20:00:
    • I have registered the second, even bigger batch of capsuleers. Huzzah! Two more day to go! Who's next? :)
  • 2021/01/26 18:00:
    • I have registered the third batch of capsuleers. Phew... only 24 hours to go! I did get to undock for an hour today :P
  • 2021/01/27 17:30:
    • I've registered the final batch of capsuleers, just before the Event. Ad astra! :) :) :)

Forum post changes

• 2021/01/26 12:30:
    • Clarified that you need to register with a Gmail email address and that it will be publicly visible to the internet. Thank you Tenzo, Dr Joseph and Koris who asked questions about this subject and helped me clarify the issue :)
    • You don't need to do any COSMOS Mission yourself, just edit the pages that already have all the information. Thank you Abaris, Deli and Marek for offering to do COSMOS Missions, but Kelon Darklight did all of them already :)
    • Made the basic information about the Event more prominent. Thank you Chris, Kirby and Sir Blackstone for you feedback! :)
    • Clarified that you can join and leave the Event at any point and that you can finish editing the pages long after the Event has ended :) Thanks for asking Auron! :)
    • The Before-After example links were incorrect. I've fixed them and it should now be more obvious how to transform a page with raw data into a beautifully templated one. I've also added more detailed instructions and links to a sandbox for those who never edited the Wiki before. Thank you Dr Joseph and Gryff for point out my instructions were lacking :) See if they are any better after the edits

Impish and Playful Trivia :P

• A registration request was sent to Jilo, the CEO, rather then me, the Event Organizer and Wiki Curator :D Pssssst! Don't let Jilo know how popular the Event truely is :P
  • One registrant thought the Event was schedule for Sunday, one that it was scheduled for Saturday and another joined Mumble because they thought it was tonight :D I doubled checked the Discord ping, reread the Forum post and title, the Alliance announcement, outreach communiques... they all say 2021.01.27 18:00 :D Your optimism and enthusiasm is praiseworthy! Can't wait for Wednesday! :) :) :)
Last edited by Arin Mara on 2021.01.27 17:25, edited 7 times in total.
Dr Joseph RD

Post by Dr Joseph RD »

Will there be onsite mentoring for those of us who didn't understand much beyond "Beautify the Wiki" in that post, but would like to learn?
Arin Mara

Post by Arin Mara »

Absolutely :) As a Servant-leader, it is my duty to provide you will all the tools and knowledge you require to perform the tasks competently.
Don't forget to register for the Event! :)

Before the Event, take a look at "During the Event" section. It describes the sequence of action you need to perform.
When you think you understand the idea of how to edit the Wiki, try rereading the "Before the Event" section. It describes in detail what tools, templates and examples might come in handy when beautifying the Wiki. :)

Feel free to provide more detailed feedback about what's hard to understand. The Event went though a three step approval process and everyone was invited to provide feedback for three days before it was published, but there is always more room for improvement. :)
Abaris Fagimasad

Post by Abaris Fagimasad »

This is a great idea and seems like the perfect opportunity for me to get hands-on experience not just on COSMOS missions but also editing the Wiki, a long-term goal of mine. :D Just to clarify, will we be needing to actually start the missions to get access to the Agent information, or are you providing us with all of the raw images and data and we are just processing that data from our home station? In any case, I'm about to EVEmail you with my Gmail address to register.

P.S. I love the romantic era landscape painting. Here's one of my favorites of that genre by Claude-Joseph Vernet: Image
ImageImageImage
Gryff Jones

Post by Gryff Jones »

I'm a beginner so this is my best guess :-)

In the Goggle Doc there are links to the pages to be edited and I think it's largely taking the image(s) that are on those pages and turning them into text so it's machine (& human) readable.

Having said that, I had a look at https://wiki.eveuniversity.org/Pioneer%27s_Sanctuary as I thought a Level 1 effort would be easy - but I'm not sure what I would do with that page :-o

I'm sure we'll find out as we go on :-)
Arin Mara

Post by Arin Mara »

Abaris Fagimasad wrote:... or are you providing us with all of the raw images and data and we are just processing that data from our home station?
All the COSMOS Mission data is already on the Wiki, but it is in the following format. You will join the Fleet, optionally Mumble, dock up and beautify it: for yourself, for Kelon, for the University and the benefit of all of New Eden!
Last time I talked about how someone found a 1.5B COSMOS Mission implant! :D You never, never, never know if you will be the next person to find yet another ridiculous treasure trove :D
Abaris Fagimasad wrote:P.S. I love the romantic era landscape painting. Here's one of my favorites of that genre by Claude-Joseph Vernet:
You too? :) :) :) I adore the harmony, the symmetry, the ratios, the sheer power of paint, dedication and effort that went into making a window into another world. I could look at Vernet's paintings for hours on end, drinking in all the details. Whichever detail I inspect in his painting, I see an interesting sight! :)
Gryff Jones wrote:In the Goggle Doc there are links to the pages to be edited and I think it's largely taking the image(s) that are on those pages and turning them into text so it's machine (& human) readable.
Your guess is spot on! :) The Bounties page in the sheet has links to pages in need of beautification. You will pick one and beautify it. How? Take a look at the explanatory note next to the page link in the sheet. It says "Fleet and COSMOS Site transcription". Alright, I'm not even sure how to beutify it, but I have listed an example in the top Forum post: "Arkady Marten's Before and After of COSMOS Site and Fleet image transcription."

Hmm... now that I look at it, I see that this is a very difficult page to beautify as there is very little information on the page. What I'd do is replace the image with the Wiki Template NPCTableHead for transcribing Fleets and Structures.
However, you can always pick another page :)
Remember, Effort Level is "[4] I've attached an Effort Level to each Wiki page. An Effort Level 3 means a page will take about 15 minutes to edit, while an Effort Level 12 page will take about 60 minutes. You will be awarded a token amount of ISK, about 1M per Effort Level as a thank you for your contribution.".
As you can see, it has very little to do with difficulty or clarity.

Keep the questions coming! They allow me to improve the Event description even further :) I'll take some time to edit and tweak the Event instructions. All top post edits and changes will be announced through the second post I reserved for updates! :) I don't want you to constantly search if the post changed :P

Thank you for registering, just remember to sent the registration request to me, rather then our CEO :P Don't let them know how popular this Event is! :D Hahahahahah
Chris Halsky

Post by Chris Halsky »

Hello,

First of all - sorry for long post :)

1. I would like to thank everyone involved in keeping Wiki alive - I checked, and in last 3 months I used Wiki 1847 times. It's great resource, and Uni can be proud for having it - it's one of great assets we have, which serves everyone playing this spreadsh... I mean game. And it's FREE ! Several people put their time, work, dedication, RL ISK (servers aren't free) - so that new players can start somewhere. I dabbled a bit in Wiki, fixing some obscure mission pages - but that's nothing compared to veteran Wiki editors (did you knew that Arin has 1714 contributions? 8.7 PER DAY :P ). Without them Wiki would not look like it looks. Big
"Thank you"
to all involved - recently, and in the past.

2. Beautify Event - Arin, please sign me up. I might not do much, but I'll try my best.

3. Rewards - I'm sorry, but 1M/effort point is, like, super low. We can do better :) Wiki has proven to be the most used Eve resource, at least for me. And while I am glad it's free, it does not mean I should not support efforts to make it better. Since there's 530 effort points to be done, I will throw in another 500k/effort point for rewards for that event.

Get on board, people, Wiki needs beautification !

Best,

Chris

P.S. Food for thought: Consider how much Wiki helped you. Can you spare 15 minutes of your time or income (whetever the amount is) to support it?
Hivaa Saitsuo!
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Arin Mara

Post by Arin Mara »

I've taken in all your questions and feedback, explicit and implicit and have updated to Forum post. Thank you so much :) I've give attribution to each and every one of you in the second post under "Forum post changes"! :)
If you don't ask any questions, make no statements or comments, the silence will keep telling me "You are awesome, clever, handsome and able to perfectly explain everything the first time you try" :P

Sign-ups are still open and will remain open :)

When Chris says "Hello", you know it's serious :D

My pleasure! :) As long as Bates keeps the Wiki Docker image running, Rayanth remains a cool manager that grants Curators autonomy and delegates tasks and the Directorate showers me with prestige I'll continue to stand up for truth and beauty: for the Wiki, for the University and for New Eden! :P

I do have an abnormally large number of edits, mostly thanks to the Epic Arc Navigation bottom up redesign. Previously, the Epic Arc pages looked like this. Not bad, but not beautiful. Well... I've also updated the Wiki Fittings until Rayanth and I agree I won't use the "Sleeper AI Script" to do Wiki work without prior approval and review. :P Something about it being against the Youlai Convention... :P

It took me a week to write the funding proposal for 200M ISK, to send it to Nienke who rejected it, to Rayanth to Jilo, to have it finally approved under certain administrative restrictions and conditions. :D Shame them not me :P Hahahahahahhahaa
I'm already spending all my time organizing this giant Event (had to review 103 Wiki pages, categorize them and assign an effort level, by hand, to produce that 530 number) which means I have very little time to earn ISK to give to contributors. However... I see your point. I'll see what I can do about it.

Thank you Chris :) I'll send you the contribution report after the Event so you can make good on your promise :)
Chris Halsky

Post by Chris Halsky »

Oh my. I'm sorry.
I'll see what I can do about it.
You are already putting your time into Wiki, which is worth way more than my peanuts. It's not you that I was aiming at :P

Best,

Chris
Hivaa Saitsuo!
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Dr Joseph RD

Post by Dr Joseph RD »

Suggestion for Wiki Team:

For small pages with less than one page of text including the "Mission Breifing" MessageBox, I would reccomend changing the collapsed option to no. This would be more convenient for the end-user.
Koris the Second

Post by Koris the Second »

Just finished my last page for today - will definitely go on doing some more stuff over there. To be honest, I kind of like editing pages and I'm looking forward to getting better at it. :D
Abaris Fagimasad

Post by Abaris Fagimasad »

Thank you so much for putting this event on, I ended up editing pages for way, way too much time today! Having checklists, ISK incentives, and a helpful tutor really made a huge difference, I hope we have more events like this in the future and I feel much more confident in tackling more pages on the Wiki! :D
ImageImageImage
Arin Mara

Post by Arin Mara »

The Event was an unmitigated success :P I had to leave after 2.5h because the Event sapped all my energy, but you brave souls stayed even after the 1.5h extension period :D

To give you a sense of the enormity of the Event, of why I was so tired, I had to:
* communicate and coordinate using 6 tools: Mumble, Fleet Chat, Discord, Forum, Wiki and Google Sheets
* assign a category and Effort Point level to 100+ COSMOS pages
* process 50+ EVE mails with registration requests and questions
... and I still have a Report to write and about 30 pages to review :P

However, it was all worth it... the results are amazing! :) :) :) Dozens of pages were edited and made into exemplary pieces of knowledge, ready to be integrated into the greater body of COSMOS Mission knowledge.

Thank you everyone, it was a pleasure! :)

I'll begin to write the full report, approve and review the edits and distribute rewards 48h after the Event ended. Until then, enjoy :)
Auron Delarnu

Post by Auron Delarnu »

OK so,

Just a few things about this event.
1. It was a lot of fun.
2. It was HARD! (For me)
3. It would of been impossible if not for the expert help of Arin!
4. It was MEGA rewarding for the soul!

Seriously!

This WIKI is so much knowledge and so much help to EVERYONE world wide. Be they Unistas or the common capsuleer.

However what might not be highlighted and common knowledge is how much effort goes into creating anything for the WIKI

I will admit that its my first time but it is crazy and has made my level of appreciation for this WIKI go up about as much as Game stock (LOL).

So what you might be thinking??

Well this is what. The WIKI is huge and the info is vast and there are a small few who willingly VOULENTEER to look after the information making sure that its formatted into the same style and is readable and makes sense and isn't misleading! That's a crazy job.

The fact that Arin, Curates the entire collection takes a huge effort and would leave most people mad!

Yet Arin isn't! Arin was calm helpful and most importantly patient with me for all the questions and mistakes I made.
Arin has the rare quality of being able to explain things in many ways so that any type of learner and editor can advance their skills.

Arin deserves a lot of respect and time.

If anyone can spare some of their time to help the Wiki by editing and helping the curator they should! Its rewarding and it helps us all!

GREAT EVENT!

Superb management of the event!

...That is all :D
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage