[Completed] Space Rugby ! 2020-07-19 @ 18h00

Forum rules
Post information about upcoming events here. If you would like some assistance in planning or advertising your event, contact our Events Department.
<<

JohnPlayerNotSpecial

Portrait

Post 2020.07.09 18:06

[Completed] Space Rugby ! 2020-07-19 @ 18h00

Safeties Red in Highsec with Smartbombs yay

Date: 19.07.2020 @ 18h00 evetime. (Formup @ 17h30)
Duration: ~1-2h.
Ships: Clean Clone / Pod. Everything else provided for free !
Fleet: Yes.
Mumble: Yes (Euni Priv). Have whisper hotkey set up. Instructions on the wiki or as gif image.

You are hereby invited to participate in a good old fashioned Space Rugby Mini Tournament.
Even got its own wiki page woohoo :)

How does it work ?
=> We'll divide participants into teams of 3 persons, where one flies a Hauler and the two others a Defender.
=> In an Arena, the Hauler tries to tractor a ball torwards its team goal in order to score a goal, while the opponent team tries to prevent just that.
=> Whoever gets the most points after a set amount of time wins.
=> Once a Defender explodes, that person immediately reships into a new one and jumps back into combat until time is over.
=> See an example on how it works in detail here.

The Ships:
=> ALL Ships will be provided, for free ! You do not need to bring your own.
However please do check if you have the skills for them. They've been designed to be flown as an Alpha, and having one level in f.ex Small Hybrid Turret is enough in this case.
=> One skill ppl usually do not have is Energy Pulse Weapons (costs 130k, roughly 20-40 mins training time to level 1), please make use of the excellent Skillbook Program and please do not wait until the event has started.

Hauler:
SPOILER WARNING!
[Nereus, Space Rugby]
400mm Rolled Tungsten Compact Plates

F-90 Compact Sensor Booster
Medium Shield Extender I
Medium Shield Extender I

Small Tractor Beam I

Scan Resolution Script x3

Defender:
SPOILER WARNING!
[Velator, Space Rugby]
Inertial Stabilizers I
Inertial Stabilizers I

5MN Cold-Gas Enduring Microwarpdrive
Multispectral ECM I

Small YF-12a Smartbomb
Light Electron Blaster I

Antimatter Charge S x200

Expected survivability time for a Defender is ~10 seconds. Worry not, i have prepared enough of them and fast reshipping will be provided.
SPOILER WARNING!

Mumble whisper:
We'll all be sitting in same fleet comms divided by subchannels, it is therefore imperative everyone has their whisper key set up. You can read on the wiki on how to setup, or as alternative here's a gif image.

Clean Clone:
We'll be setting Safeties to RED, there's a slight chance you might get podded accidentally due to the useage of Smartbombs. Please be in a clean clone as a precaution.

Prizes:
Yes, if i manage to convince the Event Department HSC Management to sponsor me :)
Update: confirmed prizes for 1st & 2nd place ! (for each teammember that is).

Think that's it, hopefully i've now made you interrested in participating.

o/
Last edited by JohnPlayerNotSpecial on 2020.07.19 18:40, edited 3 times in total.
signature.
<<

Chris Halsky

Portrait

Post 2020.07.09 22:02

Re: [Event] Space Rugby ! 2020-07-19 @ 18h00

Hi John,

1. Do we have to sign up upfront for team creation, or it will be done during event?
2. How much skill (player wise) is needed to participate?

If I can, I'll be there :) I would probably be terrible at rugby IRL, might as well be terrible in Eve :)

Best regards,

Chris
<<

JohnPlayerNotSpecial

Portrait

Post 2020.07.09 23:36

Chris Halsky wrote:1. Do we have to sign up upfront for team creation, or it will be done during event?

No need to sign up, simply be present. We'll divide the number of participants into teams at the start.

Chris Halsky wrote:2. How much skill (player wise) is needed to participate?

Training wise:
=> you need to be able to fly the fit (both the Hauler & Defender), which should take at most an hour or two to train into.
Player wise:
=> zero.

Now, if you look at the base layout it seems simple. Approach, shoot, jam, smartbomb for lulz, done.
However depending on knowledge or rather prowess for PvP, this can evolve into some nifty tactics for an ad hoc team captain. There are lots of things i did not explain which can give you an advantage in the arena.

3 hints:
=> Capacitor management, the Defenders have a fit that needs you to make decisions as in juggle when to MWD/Jam/etc.
=> Overheat the Jam.
=> Does all of that matter when you can reship in like 5 seconds after you die ?

Bottom line tho is to just show up and blow up ships at no cost while laughing in mumble :)
signature.
<<

London 1941

Portrait

Post 2020.07.12 16:07

IN.
ImageImage

Campus Officer LSC - Janitor
Orientation Officer - Ask Me Anything!

Fun per isk, not isk per hour.
<<

JohnPlayerNotSpecial

Portrait

Post 2020.07.19 18:40

After waiting till 18h15, only two people showed up (Valdgir Munchausen & Kai Oti Fli), sadly this requires at minimum 6.
Gave them both one of the multiple prizes i had organized (a Vexor hull).

Rip prepwork time ;)

o/
signature.
<<

Arto Hagnar

Portrait

Post 2020.07.20 13:52

Re: [Completed] Space Rugby ! 2020-07-19 @ 18h00

John,

Sorry you didn't get the turnout you hoped for.

Did you ping about this forming up in Discord? Or in the Alliance Channel in game?

The unfortunate truth I find is that if I don't pre-ping for events an hour in advance and then remind everyone in game when the event is happening I get low turnout for one off events as well.

Hope to see you give this another go. Though a 'safeties red' event could have some unintended consequences for participants so hopefully all those consequences are explained to participants.

Arto

Return to Corporation Events