[Event] Small gang tournament

Forum rules
Post information about upcoming events here. If you would like some assistance in planning or advertising your event, contact our Events Department.
<<

Esca Sinak

Portrait

Titles Manager
Titles Manager

Post 2020.05.01 10:54

[Event] Small gang tournament

Hello everyone, it's been a while since the last small gang tournament so here's a new one!

Timeline
  • Sign-ups will be open from: May 1 to May 15
  • The small gang tourney will run from: downtime on May 2 to downtime on May 30
  • Winners will be announced on June 10, and prizes will be distributed in the same week.
How to sign up
To join the tournament, post your details to this thread. You'll need to include:
  • Your primary timezone and/or your usual flying times
  • Your PvP experience on a scale of 1 to 5, with 1 being a total beginner and 5 being an ultimate pew-pew machine
  • A few sentences about your PvP experience and/or piloting abilities
You can form your own teams with the others who sign up in this thread, and I can also help sort people together based on similar timezones.
I'll keep track of participants and teams in this spreadsheet.

Rules and procedures
  • Eve Uni's standard rules of engagement will apply.
  • Each team can be made up of 6 pilots maximum.
  • Each pilot can only be on one team.
  • Each team should make its own thread to the AAR forum with the subject "[SMALL GANG TOURNAMENT] Team name". The thread must contain:
    • A list of all team members.
    • AARs for all relevant fleets, with roam members and kills and losses (you can use the AAR tool for this).
    • A list of all regions the team was active in during the tourney.
    • Total counts for all kills and losses.
    • Total ISK values for all kills and losses.
  • In order for a kill to count for this event:
    • The killmail must include at least two team members.
    • Only killmails of ships flown by other players count towards prizes (no abandoned ships or deployable structures).
    • Killmails against other uni members don't count: no friendly fire.
    • Killmails for pods, corvettes and shuttles don't count.
    • Killmails can include other Ivy League members and uni alts, but will use a different scoring system.
  • There are no restrictions on:
    • Location: feel free to hunt in highsec, lowsec, nullsec or wormhole space as long as it's within the uni RoE.
    • Ships and strategies: you can use any fits and hulls you like, and be as inventive with strategies as you want.
  • At the end of the tournament, a designated team member needs to fill out this form with their team's stats.
Scoring system:
  • Killmails with only team members involved will count towards 1 point each.
  • Killmails with other out-of-team uni members will be multiplied into the percentage of team members present in the fleet: ex., a mixed fleet of 20 people with 3 team members that resulted in 15 killmails would be scored as 15*(3/20): 2.25 points.
Categories for prizes:
  • Highest kill score
  • Most expensive kill
  • Smallest fleet with a killmail
  • Most fleets had
  • Most regions covered
  • Most losses
The small gang tournament is meant to get groups of people of any experience level out doing PvP together, so please don't take the competitive aspect too seriously and have fun above all else!

Please feel free to reach out to either Esca Sinak or Kazon Necht about any questions or feedback.

Also, thank you to d4m13n for donating 700m towards prizes!
<<

Nienke Solette

Portrait

Campus Manager
Campus Manager

Post 2020.05.01 12:14

Re: [Event] Small gang tournament

Ohboi, the hype is real! Really looking forward to some small-gang pew-pew! :D

TZ / fly times: EUTZ (18:00h - 21:00h)
PvP Experience: 2 - 2.5 ish?
Mainly FCed fleets of 20 peeps, some experience in small-gang or solo PvP. SP doesn't allow me to fly T2 hulls / guns yet, but I consider myself decent with 3rd party tools, d-scan and ok-ish with some general ship- and fit-knowledge.
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
____________________________________________________________________________________
Senior Personnel Officer | Former Events Manager | CCI Medalist | LSC Manager | Senior FC
<<

Jynn Mara

Portrait

Post 2020.05.01 20:12

Thanks for putting this together; and all the hard work you folks put into this.

I do have one concern: "Killmails that have other Ivy League members on them that are not in your team do not qualify: this is to encourage people to go out with their small gang teams, rather than just join scheduled uni fleets."

What are your thoughts on how this will impact Campus Cohesion given the above rule? I'd love to participate, but seems like if one was to succeed as a team/be competitive, you will effectively take them out of their campus for 30 days - This, in my personal opinion is especially true for WHC as we do small gang pvp just about every day … and could splinter campus cohesion. Also would hate to have this turn into a "School Yard" picking team scenario, which could be off-putting for some folks. Thanks for your consideration of this concern, and thanks again for putting in the effort to put this together.

Thanks, Jynn
Last edited by Jynn Mara on 2020.05.01 20:26, edited 6 times in total.
<<

Jilokari Kurvora

Portrait

Director of Operations
Director of Operations

Post 2020.05.01 20:16

TZ / fly times: EUTZ (18:00h - 21:00h EVE Time)
PvP Experience: 1-1.5

I have some experience of small gang and solo PVP, can fly T2 hulls and guns but am somewhat of a novice pvp'er :D. Ok ship knowledge, less so on fitting but I know where to point my blasters :D

This is going to be fun...
Director of Operations

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
<<

d4m13n

Portrait

Post 2020.05.01 20:35

A. I have the same concerns as Jynn about WHC in particular

B. I Fly EUTZ (midday and after during weeks, after 10 am weekends)
PVP experience= 3.5-4

I can fly lots of T2 Hulls, Specifically minmitar and Caldari, with Amarr t2 cruisers too, and Have Only t2 Missile systems (Not rockets tho) I Have Ample Fitting knowledge and lots of Fc experience (lowsec Only)
<<

Esca Sinak

Portrait

Titles Manager
Titles Manager

Post 2020.05.01 21:12

Jynn Mara wrote:I do have one concern: "Killmails that have other Ivy League members on them that are not in your team do not qualify: this is to encourage people to go out with their small gang teams, rather than just join scheduled uni fleets."

Hi Jynn, thanks for your interest! People signing up can form their own teams: so if you're entirely based in WHC, then you can form a team with five other WHC friends and go ahead with your small gang PvP as usual :)

Does that answer your question? Let me know if I misunderstood or can further clarify something.
<<

Jynn Mara

Portrait

Post 2020.05.01 22:21

Esca Sinak wrote:
Jynn Mara wrote:I do have one concern: "Killmails that have other Ivy League members on them that are not in your team do not qualify: this is to encourage people to go out with their small gang teams, rather than just join scheduled uni fleets."

Hi Jynn, thanks for your interest! People signing up can form their own teams: so if you're entirely based in WHC, then you can form a team with five other WHC friends and go ahead with your small gang PvP as usual :)

Does that answer your question? Let me know if I misunderstood or can further clarify something.

We do this daily. If we do this, we will effectively exclude half of active WHC members with the rules as written.

Example; on a daily basis we have 6+ folks in a fleet in small gang pvp (probably every 2 hours or so when we have content in the chain.) If we can only form teams of 6; we have now excluded anyone that is more than the six allowed. Furthermore, if six folks in WHC do end up forming a team, now we have six less folks that will participate in the above daily activities.

The rules, as written, will negatively impact Campus cohesion. This is personal opinion, and in no way represent any campus officially.

Frankly, I don't care as I have alts I can play on all day for a month when the campus gets less populated due to people focusing on their 6-man teams for a month (which per the rules cannot have anyone else on the Kms). I am also not known for not giving honest feedback :) (double negative?)

Again, thanks for the work on this.
<<

Esca Sinak

Portrait

Titles Manager
Titles Manager

Post 2020.05.01 23:47

Ah ok, I see what you mean. What do you think would make this better: removing the part about other uni members being on killmails, or increasing time sizes? And the feedback is appreciated, so it's really no problem!
<<

Esca Sinak

Portrait

Titles Manager
Titles Manager

Post 2020.05.02 02:46

The event's rules have been updated in the original post, thank you for your input Jynn! Killmails with out-of-team players will now count towards the final score, but will use a different scoring system.
<<

Jynn Mara

Portrait

Post 2020.05.02 06:24

Awesome. Thanks, love the changes - appreciate you taking the feedback.

Z / fly times: Pretty much 24/7
PvP Experience: Definitely a 1...or maybe a 1.5

Mostly High Sec Mining / Huffing Gas. Though I believe I am being self-organized into a team as we speak :D
<<

Locke Gogiko

Portrait

Post 2020.05.02 08:04

Fellow Capsuleers

Let me start by defining my PVP experience. since there is no negative or zero score, I'm a 1. :oops: ( I'm very good at exploding :wink:)

I normally fly around 18 to 21 EVE time during weekdays, and 13 to 23 EVE time during Weekends

I roam around Solitude, exploring or missioning with a dab at mining (with the occasional foray into WH in a Hound - no luck so far)

Skill wise - pretty much all Matar (and some 0ther faction minus Slavers hulls ) T1 hulls up to BC, and T2 hulls like Inty, covops, SB, TD. Missiles and rockets up to V. small turrets V, Medium turrets III
All magic 14 up to IV. Torpedoes and bombs IV. Can do command bursts (skirmish)
<<

LaurenceCWinston

Portrait

Post 2020.05.02 17:16

This seems really cool!

Timezone: USTZ-West. ~0200-0600 EVE Time. Expanded on Weekends. Most active Fri, Sat, Sun and Mon.
PvP Exp: 2?
I've participated in a few small to medium sized NPSI fleets and some small gang Uni roams. Tried my hand at solo roams tho those usually ended with not being able to find any engagable fights.

I base out of HSC and LSC. Am heavily trained into Gal/Cal. Hybrids, missiles and drones.
<<

Brock Carlisle

Portrait

Post 2020.05.02 18:34

So... What about related kills that at least one person is on, and 3 are in the relateds. Your anti-tackle should be soloing things while the rest of the gang carrys on.

TZ: 1400-0500
PvP experience: 2 or 3

I like kitey BS and am forming my own team. Warning, I welp other peoples ships a lot. This team will be cross campus and stage out of Jita.
<<

Esca Sinak

Portrait

Titles Manager
Titles Manager

Post 2020.05.03 00:31

Brock Carlisle wrote:So... What about related kills that at least one person is on, and 3 are in the relateds. Your anti-tackle should be soloing things while the rest of the gang carrys on.

Thanks for pointing that out Brock, the rule's been changed to two team members being on a KM instead of 50% of a team. Hopefully that makes things better?

Also after some feedback from Danny Algaert and Kazon, the scoring system has been revised: KMs from mixed fleets are now multiplied into the percentage of team members present, instead of divided by the number present. The main post's been updated with all changes.
<<

Sketchy McGillis

Portrait

Post 2020.05.03 00:45

Except for the days I work (May 15-20) I can be on pretty much whenever you need me. I’m usually US TZ later in the evenings (around 2200-0400 Eve Time).

I’d rate my PvP skill about a 2, I used to be a little higher but my time away from the game has degraded my abilities.

I have most of my PvP experience from running with the LSC back when they were in Dudreda and the NSC, a lot of small gang stuff and a few large fleet fights. I like flying fast tackle and/or small and fast DD, but I was getting into EWAR a bit. I also love stealth bombers but that’s kinda besides the point!

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Next

Return to Corporation Events