[EVENT] Low-sec Mining Shared Can, 25 September, 07:30

For information about upcoming EVE University events.
Forum rules
Post information about upcoming events here. If you would like some assistance in advertising an event speak to our communications team.
Arkady Marten

[EVENT] Low-sec Mining Shared Can, 25 September, 07:30

Post by Arkady Marten »

These are the 'roids you're looking for...

What - We'll go mine the lucrative ochre and crokite anomalies in low-sec space around LSC.
When - Saturday, 25 September 2021 - 07:30
Where - Form-up at Eugales - The Flying Dutchman

Doctrine - Bog-standard ships for ore mining, shuttle or fast frigate for initial scouting. Absolutely only bring to this fleet something you're willing to put at risk. We'll do our best to keep everyone safe, but it's low-sec, after all!
Comms - LSC Coffee House on Mumble

Additional Notes:
  • Travel fleet for entry into low-sec: Meet up at Orvolle I - Federation Navy Assembly Plant at 07:15 and be on comms if you would like to bring in a ship from AMC or HSC. T1 Ventures and scout ships available on the flight deck, if you don't yet have your own at LSC.
  • We'll spread out into the low-sec systems around LSC to scout for the available anomalies, then prepare a few tactical bookmarks for the sites we intend to run.
  • Depending on numbers, we'll either do this as shared-can or bring-your-own-can. If we're doing shared-can, proceeds will be pooled among all participants based on time spent mining, as is customary.
  • Let me know if you plan on bringing a Higgs anchor fitted ship.
  • Special roles to be filled: 2 pickets (ideally in cloaky ships; can be alts, if you're willing to multibox), booster, hauler. Loaner Miasmos available for hauler. Get in touch if you're able to fill one of these roles. Mucho love!
  • There is no QRF component to this fleet planned at this point. We'll see on the day whether we want to have some PvP ships on standby.
Arkady Marten

Re: [EVENT] Low-sec Mining Shared Can, 25 September, 07:30

Post by Arkady Marten »

With
Antalax Erudi
Mosq
Rajiv Panda
Veritas Aeqitas
W1ntur (plus Porpoise alt Serenity Sansil)

tl;dr - Fit Porpoise with Higgs anchor and have QRF ships ready to go in system!

We had a tougher time finding good anomalies to mine than at the previous event. Our search eventually produced a viable site in Dour next to the high-sec island, with the system initially quiet. After getting everybody settled with ships and crystals, we headed out. Antalax was boosting us in a Gnosis at first, then W1ntur brought in a Porpoise on his alt, and Antalax switched to a barge. I had an alt in a shuttle watch the Vivanier gate, but we didn't have eyes on the Pelille gate.

As I expected for Dour, which houses a number of groups that stage out of there, we did soon have traffic in and through the system. After an initial warp-out from the site due to a local spike and ships on long d, we resumed mining, but after that continually had neutrals in local, including a Dramiel likely to have been going after the low-sec event sites, a Procurer that we couldn't locate at any of the obvious mining spots (maybe they were running mining missions) and several appearances of a Thanatos on d that must have been running missions also.

Nevertheless, with ongoing checks of both long and short d, we didn't feel under immediate threat and continued mining. At one point, we noticed that there were now three pilots in local that all belonged to the same corp, but still with no change on d, we continued on. I was in warp back to the site in the Miasmos when I noticed a Stratios on d. To my horror, the Stratios was in fact on grid with the rest of our group and headed directly for the Porpoise! Nobody was aligned to anywhere! The mining ships weren't the target, so they all managed to warp out. I cloaked up the Miasmos and had to watch helplessly as the Stratios continued the assault on the Porpoise. We didn't have any dd ships in the system, so no chance of fighting off the attacker. With good foresight, the Porpoise did have EC-300s ready to be deployed - off they went with hope in their hearts. W1ntur soon reported being into structure on the Porpoise, and I feared for the worst. Then suddenly, the most wonderful sight in all of Eve: the Porpoise picking up speed and moving in a straight line across the grid and off into the sunset!

With their target slipped from their grasp, the Stratios pilot brought in their corpmates (or alts) in frigates to loot the abandoned mining drones on the field. I waited another few minutes after they warped off before uncloaking my hauler and heading for dock-up - the Stratios could potentially have been sitting on grid still. With downtime approaching, we decided to return to Eugales and fold the fleet.

Obviously, this situation was much, much too close for comfort. It was also pretty much a worst-case scenario: a ship warping in on us under cloak and catching us unaligned, with no threat ever presenting itself on d-scan. Nonetheless, there are lessens to be learned and modifications to the procedure to be instituted:
  • Maybe a picket at the Pelille gate would have caught the Stratios jumping into the system, but it is equally likely that the pilot actually lives in Dour and had the ship ready to go at one of the structures in the system. We would need to have eyes at dozens of locations to cover all possible undockings - not feasible.
  • The general recommendation to mine aligned as soon as there are neutrals in the system is hard to implement when the system continually has neutrals in it and the mining ships are not all set up with Higgs anchor rigs. In the present case, our mining rate would have been dramatically lowered, with fleet members frequently having to bounce to stay within range of the rocks and the boosts.
  • Having at least the Porpoise fitted with a Higgs anchor and always be aligned on grid would make such an attack less likely to succeed. The Porpoise should still be the #1 target for anyone hunting us, so even if the other ships do not mine aligned, they would probably be able to warp off as long as they are not sitting right next to the Porpoise. (Of course, if we noticed a large number of neutrals in local that could signify a fleet with the ability to spread tackle on our ships, we would not blissfully continue to mine in the first place.)
  • The presence of a bait Procurer with a burst jammer as well as EC-300 drones of their own could significantly increase the chances of the Porpoise making it out alive. Combine that with...
  • QRF ships are a must! Imagine the look on the Stratios pilot's face if their ship suddenly had a scram on them and it was their turn to watch helplessly as an assortment of enemy cruisers started showing up on their d-scan. :D
Last edited by Arkady Marten on 2021.09.30 10:17, edited 1 time in total.
Seraphina Sansil

Post by Seraphina Sansil »

Regardless of my near loss I still had tons of fun. Maybe even more considering the excitement. IT was too close I will be examining switching rigs, although the armor rigs I have are a big reason I survived as long. Being able to stay aligned would have been huge. Another thing to consider is 2 safes on opposite sides of the field to align back and forth between. Since as a booster I cant dock up right away warping to station could be as big of a trap, and alternating align direction means not having to warp away to reposition.

In regards to QRF I think I will be trying to have my combat character in system and maybe even cloaked up off grid next time. That Strat would have had an aneurism if a Legion decloaked on it while focused on the porp.
Elemeno Tau

Post by Elemeno Tau »

I have only recently joined the corp (and started playing EVE) and, despite not even understanding all of the terms, this is one of the most exciting event recaps that I have read yet!

I can't wait to get enough experience (and ISK) to move into the lower security systems!
Arkady Marten

Post by Arkady Marten »

@Seraphina Sansil:
Thanks for your response! As a mining fleet in low-sec, we should always be a target for hunters, so hopefully excitement to be had every time. The idea of two safes (or perches at sufficient distance) is certainly worth exploring. You'd be vulnearable for the periods where you're switching between them, but unless a cloaky pilot on grid happens to catch you mid-maneuver, that shouldn't be an issue. You could still combine it with a Higgs rig so you don't have to switch as much, what with your stately speed of something like 25m/s with the rig. But I definitely see the attraction of max tank. Being aligned, the idea of course would be to not actually give them a chance to lock you up. Strictly speaking, no tank at all required for that, but it'd always be a nice fallback should something go wrong. I do worry for example about somebody managing to bump the Porpoise out of alignment. For the cases where the Porpoise does manage to warp off, I would have a bait Procurer with full tank sitting close by at all times to then actually hold an enemy ship on grid. With further QRF ships in the system and maybe, as you write, even the odd cloaky ship already on grid, we would then be well-positioned to even take on a small gang of 2 or 3 pilots.

@Elemeno Tau:
Happy to hear you enjoyed the little story! :D It was certainly exciting when it happened, but only in retrospect, after the Porpoise managed to warp out, lol! Don't feel you need a certain level of SP or isk before you can move beyond high-sec. If you can fly any one of the ships on the flight deck (and I'm sure your character has the required skills already), you can start down that road immediately. Ingest some information about how to use d-scan, and you have the basics already of how to keep yourself safe. Get in a shuttle, head over to LSC (or NSC, for that matter), and ask somebody to grab you a ship from the flight deck! You'll be up an running with belt ratting or explo in no time. In lower-security systems, the rewards you get tend to be larger than in high-sec too, so you'll be making plenty of isk. Keeping ships cheap is a good general stance anyway - don't put more isk on it than is absolutely necessary for the job. (For example, even though I can use a good chunk of all the T2 modules already, I often find myself using meta modules instead when the T2 bonus is not crucial.) At LSC, we have a high-sec island next door that allows for high-sec mining and mission running also, so best of both worlds. And regarding the jargon, that's completely normal! You'll pick up on terms as you go. Feel free to ask here or anyone in-game/Discord/etc. if you have specific questions. The Wiki also has a nice listing of common terms.
CapnJakku

Post by CapnJakku »

When are these joint mining operations typically scheduled for? Being on a GMT +9 timezone makes things tricky and I have to plan ahead. Do these also also get pinged in Discord (more than a couple hours before)?

I ask because I'm very interested in sampling different things that EVE Uni has to offer while my skills train up. Mining in a group is one of them.
Arkady Marten

Post by Arkady Marten »

@CapnJakku:
Definitely, group mining can be great fun! Not to mention profitable, since in a shared-can event you as a newer player benefit from people with more advanced ships. These low-sec outings I've only started recently, and I'm still in the process of deciding how often to offer them. (For one, I need to make sure I don't overcommit myself!) I always make sure I post the date on the Forum at least a week in advance, and I will continue to schedule them at different times of day.

And yes, I will make sure to ping on Discord more consistently than I have in the past! However, pings (as far as I understand them) are meant more as a reminder that an event is about to start, not as the initial notice to people that an event is even taking place. For that, we have the Forum plus the in-game calendar.

The other campuses also offer group mining events in their respective space, so more opportunities to partake. And you are totally welcome at any of them in just the basic T1 Venture straight off the flight deck. Furthermore, anyone is welcome to organise their own event - I am hopeful that as we gain more experience running these mining ops in low-sec, others will start taking out fleets as well, in which case we might be able to cover the different time zones better too!
CapnJakku

Post by CapnJakku »

Arkady Marten wrote: 2021.10.01 11:11 However, pings (as far as I understand them) are meant more as a reminder that an event is about to start, not as the initial notice to people that an event is even taking place. For that, we have the Forum plus the in-game calendar.

The other campuses also offer group mining events in their respective space, so more opportunities to partake. And you are totally welcome at any of them in just the basic T1 Venture straight off the flight deck.
Yes I'm very interested in partaking in these events, I'm just figuring out what I should be checking and want to understand where fleet formation or notices for things like mining would be most regularly posted between:

1. Forum
2. In-game Calendar
3. Discord Pings
4. @everyone mentions in specific campus channels on Discord

In my experience over my first couple weeks it seems like things kinda get posted randomly across these different platforms. I might also be missing posts!

Of course I'd like to organize these fleets in the future if possible, I'd just like to learn the system first.
Arkady Marten

Post by Arkady Marten »

You're not wrong, it is complex! Part of the difficulty comes from semi-planned events that get advertised only on Discord and not on the Forum or the in-game calendar. The general idea is that an event open to the Uni as a whole that is scheduled ahead of time should go on the Forum and calendar. Nothing wrong with spur-of-the-moment outings of course, for that Discord with its pings works great. And then we also have the Discord pings for reminders that a scheduled event is coming up shortly or starting right now. Whether pings go in the general pings channels or in one of the campuses is partly personal preference of the person pinging and (at least for me) to a good part based on whether I think people who are not regulars at the campus would still be interested in partaking.

What I do: I'm subscribed to all the relevant general ping channels on Discord as well as LSC's ping channel, but not those of the other campuses (personal preference to avoid message overload). The pings I have set up to receive on my phone as well. In the busy channels on Discord, I generally don't read past messages for anything I might have missed, that would just be too much to go through. If somebody posted something in there, but didn't make it a ping, I'd most likely miss it, but then it probably wasn't of the highest importance, otherwise it would (should!) have been a ping!

I then regularly check the Forum for new and updated posts (Quick Links -> Unread Posts), which should alert me to most of what gets posted here. (There's always a possibility that I miss some posts that way, but that's unavoidable to a certain degree with any system. I did for example miss the fact that you had replied on this thread, which I apologise for! I don't know how it happened, normally I have a good eye for new posts on topics I'm involved in.) The in-game calendar I check ever so often, but truth be told that's the channel I rely on the least, even though it's a good one-stop-shop for a convenient overview of upcoming events. Each calendar entry generally also has a Forum post, so I should still catch most happenings.
CapnJakku

Post by CapnJakku »

Arkady Marten wrote: 2021.10.05 15:33 What I do: I'm subscribed to all the relevant general ping channels on Discord as well as LSC's ping channel, but not those of the other campuses (personal preference to avoid message overload). The pings I have set up to receive on my phone as well.
No worries if you miss a post of mine! I'm gonna be around for awhile so what's a few extra days? 8)

What you mention here about getting Discord ping push notifications on your phone but for me I just can't seem to configure the EU Discord server to ever send me a single push notification. I have it enabled in phone settings, discord, and the server. I've tried troubleshooting for days and no results. So pings for me aren't really pings cause I have to check each channel daily to see if anything was posted, lol.

But yeah, let me at least try out your Quick Links --> Unread Posts tip!