[EVENT] HSC Fight Club EUTZ Edition @ 20:00, 2021-06-19

For information about upcoming EVE University events.
Forum rules
Post information about upcoming events here. If you would like some assistance in advertising an event speak to our communications team.
Adam Cion

[EVENT] HSC Fight Club EUTZ Edition @ 20:00, 2021-06-19

Post by Adam Cion »

HSC Fight Club is back - again!

Fight Club is back, and this time, there are free ships! Check out Red Fish's Consolidated Information Post for more about what Fight Club is, a list of free fits, and some descriptions with tips on how to fly each one to get you started. Feel free to bring your own ship if you want to learn how to fit better or if you just have something special you want to try out!

The gist: Fight Club is an event where Unistas can engage in 1v1 frigate PvP in a controlled environment. This will maximise learning of the key concepts of PvP; through the fitting requirements providing more equalised scenarios, and after action discussion of fights. We keep things small to encourage participation, and evenly matched because the more even the ships are, the more your decisions and piloting matter, and the more you learn!

Fight Club Host: Adam Cion
Time: 20:00 Eve time on 2021-06-19 | Duration: 2 hours
Comms: Mumble, HSC PvP channel
Format: Tech 1 Frigates or Destroyers w/ meta modules & ammo. (Destroyer fights are not as common, are 2v1 against frigates, and lack free ships).
Rules: See Red's Post, same as above
How do I join?: There will be a fleet up which you can find with the Fleet Finder.
No previous PvP experience required!

Fight Club Tip of the Week #1 - Overheat Overheat Overheat!

Nothing burns like the cold. - A Game of Thrones, George R. R. Martin

Overheating will make modules on your ship a little bit (or a lot) better. The only catch is that if you overheat your modules for too long they will burn out so you can't use them any more. The other :wink: only catch is that if you leave your modules cold, your opponent will probably win!

There is an excellent Wiki article on overheating that goes into what exactly it does and how it works. For Fight Club though, a basic summary (ignoring some nuances):
  • Overheating your afterburner or microwarpdrive will make you go way faster, so you can stay at the range you want.
  • Overheating your warp scrambler, disruptor, or statis webifier will extend their range. This lets you catch your opponent while they are further away.
  • Overheating your weapons makes you deal more damage.
  • Overheating your armor repairer or shield booster makes your ship tankier.
A few rules of thumb for Fight Club:
  • Always heat your ancillary armor repairer or shield booster. They will rarely burn out in the duration of a frigate fight and will help you tank.
  • Always heat your weapons. For long fights you may need to turn them off, but 9/10 if you are in your optimal range in a frigate fight you should be overheating your weapons.
  • Heat your stasis webifier and warp scrambler/disruptor only as needed to catch your opponent or keep them from running away.
  • Heat your afterburner as needed to get to your desired range. Be careful as your afterburner will generate a lot of heat, and burning it out will often lose the fight. So too might not overheating it at all.
  • Heat your microwarpdrive as you would an afterburner, but be even more careful about burning it out.
You may notice neuts, cap boosters, and EWAR are not the list above. They do not lend themselves well to quick rules of thumb. Red Fish's guide to the neut tristan is a good starting point but your mileage may vary on other ships and fits.

Good management of heat is a skill that takes some practice to learn, and Fight Club is a great place to get started.

Much of this post's content shamefully stolen from Vex's HSC fight club post.
Arin Mara

Re: [EVENT] HSC Fight Club EUTZ Edition @ 20:00, 2021-06-19

Post by Arin Mara »

I'd like to attend, but the Event has been scheduled quite late. It overlaps not just with my book reading time, but with my unconscious pillow hugging session too. :P
If I attend, would you be so kind and allow me to do battle within the first hour of the Event?
Arin's Guristas Mission Expedition: Anomic Burners
Adam Cion

Post by Adam Cion »

Arin Mara wrote: 2021.06.16 06:34 I'd like to attend, but the Event has been scheduled quite late. It overlaps not just with my book reading time, but with my unconscious pillow hugging session too. :P
What sort of timing would work best for you? I wasn't thinking too much when I came up with the time, so I picked something I thought would be mid-evening not thinking about GMT+? timezones. I'm USTZ and don't know what I'm doing so any feedback is appreciated.
Arin Mara wrote: 2021.06.16 06:34 If I attend, would you be so kind and allow me to do battle within the first hour of the Event?
If you attend you can absolutely fight in the first hour. In general Fight Club is pretty easy to drop in and out of at any time (except maybe in the middle of a fight 8)). We do an introduction at the start of Fight Club, so the only thing you'd miss leaving early would be the free for all or (possibly) the swarm-the-cruiser fight we do at the end.

Hope to see you at the event, o7.
Arin Mara

Post by Arin Mara »

If an Event starts between 1600-1800 EVE Time, that's perfect for me. It's not too late, not too early and it is when I have scheduled my mandatory leisure time. :)

A Frigate mosh pit and Cruiser bashing sound fun, but I'll have to give them both a miss. Who's the poor pilot to has to fly the Cruiser? :D
Arin's Guristas Mission Expedition: Anomic Burners