[Event] Newbro Treasure Hunt

Forum rules
Post information about upcoming events here. If you would like some assistance in planning or advertising your event, contact our Events Department.
<<

RfBurn Machiavelli

Portrait

Post 2019.05.27 21:58

[Event] Newbro Treasure Hunt

Newbro Treasure Hunt Re-appropriation
The in-game Treasure Hunt for semi-new players has been re-appropriated. What does that mean? It means there were too few Newbros that signed up for the event. In fact, there were NO sign ups. Therefore this event has been "modified" to include ALL EUNI members that wish to participate. Other than the age restriction, all rules still apply. Please send me your registration via in-game email so I can send you the coordinates of the kick-off, and a few other intel items you will need in order to be successful.

Starting time: TBD

Character requirements: All characters that are standing members of EUNI, any age.

Ship requirements: You will need to be able to use combat probes (expanded probe launcher). A MWD is highly recommended. A fast ship with a scanning bonus is best – either a T1 exploration frigate or a Covert Ops frigate. You decide how much ship you want to put on the line for a chance to win millions of ISK.

Travel requirements: All locations are in high sec space. Due to anchoring restrictions, it will be in 0.5 – 0.7 space. It is possible that it will be shorter to travel through lowsec between locations, but it is not required. Do so at your own risk. We are at War right now, so please watch D-Scan and Local at ALL times. This adds a little bit of excitement to the game.

Rewards: Rewards will be modest loot with the potential to include significant loot. Each container will have loot and coordinates, or only coordinates, or a puzzle, or a combination of everything. The final end-game container will have something significantly useful with a value of several million ISK.

CypherText: Cyphertext will be utilized for the last 4 characters of the containers’ passwords, using a character off-set of 7.

Registration: Send RfBurn Machiavelli an in-game mail. I will only respond to characters that meet the age limit. I will send you starting instructions including a staging area, a container name, and the first 3 characters of all the containers’ password. Note: these 3 characters will be used universally as the first 3 characters of the passwords for all containers during the hunt. The last 4 CypherText characters of the first container's password will be provided via game mail at the start of the hunt. All subsequent containers will have their 4 CypherText characters derived from the names of the bookmarks found inside the containers. Note: the last 4 CypherText characters are unique to each container.

How it works at 1st location: Everyone will assemble at the staging system. At 1500 EVE time, I will log in, send a massmail to the participants with a starting system and a 4 character CypherText password suffix, and then I will warp to the first location. You will need to come to the correct system, scan me down and warp to my location. When you find me, there will be several containers anchored nearby. You will need to find the container that I assigned to you and open it using the correct 7 character password. Again, the first 3 characters will have been sent to you at registration, the last 4 CypherText characters will have been sent to you at the start of the hunt.

Important Note: you will need to DECODE the CypherText before applying it to the containers’ passwords. Depending on the level of participation, multiple players may be vying for the same containers.

How it works at 2nd and all subsequent locations: Inside the previous container you will have found a bookmark to the subsequent location in space and the title of the bookmark will contain the 4 character CypherText you will need to DECODE for the last 4 characters of the next container’s 7 character password. Recall, the first 3 characters of the password will have been provided in your registration confirmation email.

I know people are asking, "But RF... How do I know which container is mine?"
Answer: Easy, the name of the current container is the password you previously deciphered to get the new book mark that brought you to the current container. So, if the previous password was "Donald Duck", then the name of the current container is also "Donald Duck". Otherwise, you can run to all the containers at this book marked location and try unlocking each one until you get the right one. Please note, puzzle containers follow a separate naming convention, so don't try this on a puzzle container.

How to Decode: Using a 7 character off-set, the alphabet is effectively shifted 7 characters. Whereas, “A” becomes “H”, and “B” becomes “I”, and “C” becomes “J”, etc…

Password Example: Initial 3 characters provided might be “ABC”. The last 4 characters (provided at the start of the hunt or found inside a container as the name of the next bookmark) are in CypherText and are “LMNO”. Therefore, the correct password to unlock the container in this example would be “ABCSTUV”. This is derived from combining “ABC” with “LMNO” having been off-set by 7 characters, which became “STUV”. So the correct password would not be ”ABCLMNO”, but would be “ABCSTUV” instead.

PLEASE TAKE ONLY ONE BOOKMARK… everyone deserves a chance to play. You will need to travel to the bookmark you obtained in the container you unlocked with your DECODED CypherText password. When you get there, you will see several containers within 100 km. Each one will contain loot and some will contain loot and a bookmark.

Again, the password to each subsequent container is the combined 3 characters provided at the time of your registration confirmation and the 4 character DECODED CypherText from the previous container you visited (recall, it is the name of the bookmark), that led you to this current location. You will need to use this newest bookmark to find the next location in space.

Puzzles: Some locations will contain a puzzle container. It has no loot inside, just a bookmark. The password is 7 letters/numbers (all caps). The name of the container is the clue. For example, container name is “11223344 5xxxxxxx”. Password would be “5667788”. The puzzles will be significantly harder than this example.

Eliminations: If you arrive at a location and all the bookmarks are gone, then someone has beaten you to that location and you are effectively out of the hunt. You can still help yourself to any loot remaining in the containers. Therefore, at each location you will have to decide which and how many containers to go for based on your competition.

Final Location: The final location will not have a container visible on grid. It will be approximately TBD km from where you land. It will be aligned with one of the planets in the system. You will need to use your directional scanner to find which planet the container is aligned with and then MWD in that direction. Hopefully you chose correctly. The container will be named “El Dorado”. The password format is the same (3 characters provided at the time of registration + 4 DECODED CypherText characters retrieved from the last container you unlocked, which is also the same name of the bookmark that brought you to this last location).

Millions in ISK and ships will be up for grabs. To play, send an in-game mail to “RfBurn Machiavelli”. Registration is now open. This is the only way to get the start codes and get into the competition.
Last edited by RfBurn Machiavelli on 2019.06.21 00:03, edited 3 times in total.
RFburn's Stats
Eve University Events Staff Member

Image Image Image Image Image
<<

Turlough Dominian

Portrait

Director of Special Projects

Post 2019.05.28 03:45

Re: [Event] Newbro Treasure Hunt

O yuk an age requirement to take part well that sucks for me , guess ill go do my nails that day :(

best of luck with it tho

Retired Assistant Personnel Manager,Retired Events Manager, Retired Assistant Guidance Manager, Senior Personnel Officer Graduate,
<<

RfBurn Machiavelli

Portrait

Post 2019.06.03 17:43

Sorry about that. I'm hoping to give the Newbros a chance to compete with their peers for some cool prizes. However, if the Newbro headcount is too low I will likely reschedule and remove restrictions on the age limits. But to be fair, I wanted to give them first shot at it. Have a great day and stay tuned. :D
RFburn's Stats

<<

RfBurn Machiavelli

Portrait

Post 2019.06.11 22:51

This event has been opened up to all EUNI members. Not enough Newbros participating, so everyone can register and join in. Best of luck to everyone.
RFburn's Stats

<<

Turlough Dominian

Portrait

Post 2019.06.12 00:22

ah happy days nice its opened up to all <3
i shall happily sign up and do my best to attend real life permuting

If i somehow win any prize's i shall donate to who ever is the youngest participant of the event

Retired Assistant Personnel Manager,Retired Events Manager, Retired Assistant Guidance Manager, Senior Personnel Officer Graduate,
<<

Zoltan Irvam

Portrait

Post 2019.06.12 12:47

Hi,

while I am slightly above the original character age limit, I should easily make the new one of 20 years. I'll be there barring unforeseen events.

Zoltan
<<

RfBurn Machiavelli

Portrait

Post 2019.06.19 23:54

I'm not seeing a lot of participation in pre-registration. :?
RFburn's Stats

<<

Zoltan Irvam

Portrait

Post 2019.06.20 10:46

Hi,

and I saw that my participation is likely not going to happen due to RL... sorry!

Zoltan
<<

RfBurn Machiavelli

Portrait

Post 2019.06.21 00:01

Sadly, the event will be postponed for several reasons. We are currently at war, the Trigs have invaded our HSC space, and there was almost no response from EUNI members wishing to participate. So, this will provide an opportunity to advertise the event a little bit more and hopefully build some interest.

Some items have been donated, and donations are appreciated for this event.
Currently the prizes exceed 900 M Isk.

Prizes thus far include a ship:
Victorieux Luxury Yacht (fully fitted)

A few drones:
Acolyte I
Hobgoblin I
Hornet I
Warrior I

And numerous Blue Print Originals:
Carbonized Lead S Blueprint
Acolyte I Blueprint
Hobgoblin I Blueprint
Hornet I Blueprint
Warrior I Blueprint
Valkyrie I Blueprint
Vespa I Blueprint
Infiltrator I Blueprint
Hammerhead I Blueprint
Atron Blueprint
Maulus Blueprint
Navitas Blueprint
Tristan Blueprint
Punisher Blueprint
Wasp I Blueprint
Catalyst Blueprint
Algos Blueprint
Vexor Blueprint
Gila Blueprint (this is a copy, not an original)

Hopefully a little bit of advertizing will get word around to the rest of EUNI and participation will pick up.
RFburn's Stats

Return to Corporation Events