[EVENT] High Seas and Low Tides - Wed, 2017-May-24

Forum rules
Post information about upcoming events here. If you would like some assistance in planning or advertising your event, contact our Events Department.
<<

Laser Skaron

Portrait

Post 2017.05.18 17:20

[EVENT] High Seas and Low Tides - Wed, 2017-May-24

Ahoy there, landlubbers! Time to hoist ye' anchors and go swashbucklin' on a new event.

IMPORTANT! The low sec space bounded by Dastryns, Vey and Ouelletta (including the Brarel pocket) will become a free friendly fire zone during the event. Unistas not evolved in this event should avoid this space if possible.

I see I have your attention. So. There's a small expanse of waters between two of our main ports: the HSC and the LSC. Time to form up and use those seas as an extended playing field. Wednesday, 2017-May-24, 18:00.

We will form 2 competing fleets, from both our ports and fight for supremacy over those waters!

How will this play out

- This week, both fleets will run the same doctrine: Magic Merlins (yes, you can bring T1 logi and ewar).
- Our goal will be to find the opposing fleet, and come out ahead in one or more successive fights. (pick people off on gates? secure plexes?...)
- You can only reship in your starting port.
- If 3rd parties engage us, we will group up and take them down!
- Both FCs will write an AAR, which will be posted at the same time in our Declassified AAR thread.
- You will not become flashy or take gate guns for attacking another unista in low sec (so play around that).
- No podding (3rd parties don't know this rule, take care).

Formup

We will be forming two fleets, and we want a somewhat balanced number of players within each one. Perfect equality is not the point but people have to move between campuses. so here's how we fix that.
- There will be a staging fleet for a couple hours before the event with 2 wings (one for each port).
- Pick whichever side has fewer numbers when you join.
- Until this fleet gets disbanded, it is preferred you do not drop fleet so other people can tell what's the population like in each port.
- ~5 minutes before formup, staging fleet gets disbanded. If you arrive past this point flip a coin and join a random port :).
- Two fleets: High Seas and Low Tides will then show up (for HSC and LSC respectively), join whichever one you assigned yourself to (or the coin flip indicated).
- We then move to separate comms.
- FCs then have 30 minutes for actual formup (newbro speech, role distribution). Undock when ready after a minimum of 30 minutes.

Requirements to join

This will be primarily an internal event within the uni, which means:
- You will need to adjust your overview settings to see (and be able to attack) corp/alliance mates in your PVP tabs.
- X up in this thread to get an estimate for the numbers we can expect :).
- New players are VERY welcome and encouraged to join!
- You do not have to be a member of either the LSC or HSC. Those will just be our staging ground for the event.

Additional notes

I would like this to become a recurring event for fleet vs fleet practice. We currently have a lot of solo focused training and events, as well as a lot of occasions to exercise scouting, finding content and general fleet operations. However, fleet combat is much harder to find and practice, especially for new players where the first few minutes become overwhelming with so much to pay attention to. Plus it would provide ample opportunities for training for all our members in the FCC.

A few of us from the LSC would like to trial this event next week (and hopefully for a couple weeks after that). Special thanks to Breeze One for starting this discussion in our FCC program! Let's get our numbers up and make this party last for months onwards!

Over time, these events can become a platform for us to practice:
- Different doctrines
- Tactical/strategic options
- Fighting a stronger/weaker force
- Attacking/defending a gate/plex
- Content from the classes held the previous week
- and many more scenarios we can come up with over time...

Note that future sessions may have this take place in other security space, but for now, we meet somewhere in the middle, in low sec. Also, standard SRP does NOT apply for uni vs uni events. We will have volunteer SRP for this session. Details will follow (or be provided at undock).

Finally, USTZ folks, feel free to host your own and try it out as well :).

PS. The ability to talk like a pirate is not a strong requirement, but is greatly appreciated.
Last edited by Laser Skaron on 2017.05.24 09:36, edited 3 times in total.
<<

Pronto Pup

Portrait

Post 2017.05.18 18:18

Re: [EVENT] High Seas and Low Tides - Wed, 2017-May-24

Aye (X)
<<

Aisha Kasenumi

Portrait

Post 2017.05.18 19:32

X ..
<<

Noah Ather

Portrait

Post 2017.05.18 20:26

x
but on problem is some one has a fleet planed at the same time so might need to sort that out some how
<<

Laser Skaron

Portrait

Post 2017.05.18 20:29

Noah Ather wrote:but on problem is some one has a fleet planed at the same time so might need to sort that out some how

Breeze had that other fleet as a placeholder. We will move that fleet as we'll probably keep this event running Wednesdays for a while. Will see how that goes.
<<

Eddie Dante

Portrait

Post 2017.05.18 21:19

X, gonna try to be there

Laser Skaron wrote:However, fleet combat is much harder to find and practice, especially for new players where the first few minutes become overwhelming with so much to pay attention to.

Is this event the result of the discussion in mumble after the recent vexor fleet? Nice initiative :)
<<

Breeze One

Portrait

Post 2017.05.19 02:10

Well it's a result of a much longer idea that I've had, but yes Laser decided to take this forward :)

X for FC
<<

Laser Skaron

Portrait

Post 2017.05.19 05:52

Breeze One wrote:Well it's a result of a much longer idea that I've had, but yes Laser decided to take this forward :)

X for FC

Yup, someone's gotta host the first run ;).

It will most likely be Laser vs Breeze as FCs, but that is not set in stone and things may change until the event. We know there is no shortage of FCs willing to participate and rotate between editions of this event.
<<

Mrcrab Bojinov

Portrait

Post 2017.05.19 18:57

x in chat
<<

Xana McBash

Portrait

Post 2017.05.20 05:56

x
see you there
<<

Titus Tallang

Portrait

Director of Education
Director of Education

Post 2017.05.20 08:29

Yarr, here, have this X, me mateys! Let's show them landlubbers arrther piratey folk the powder of our guns!
Scientia potentia est.
If a statement I made seems offensive to you, please be assured that this was not my intent.
If I am mistaken about something, please tell me about it. We improve through sharing knowledge.
<<

Laser Skaron

Portrait

Post 2017.05.23 05:59

Ahoy y'all!

Nice to see we got a bit of attention here, and I hope more will join as we approach the deadline. But there is interest, we're good to go and if you haven't X-ed up in here it's perfectly fine, just join fleets when they go up :D. No more need to drop Xes in comments.

Since we have to get somewhat equal numbers in each fleet (I say somewhat, as I'm perfectly happy having one side with say... 10-20% more people), we have come up with Formup Procedures! I've also added this to the main post.

- There will be a staging fleet for a couple hours before the event with 2 wings (one for each port).
- Pick whichever side has fewer numbers when you join.
- Until this fleet gets disbanded, it is preferred you do not drop fleet so other people can tell what's the population like in each port.
- ~5 minutes before formup, staging fleet gets disbanded. If you arrive past this point flip a coin and join a random port :).
- Two fleets: High Seas and Low Tides will then show up (for HSC and LSC respectively), join whichever one you assigned yourself to (or the coin flip indicated).
- We then move to separate comms.
- FCs then have 30 minutes for actual formup (newbro speech, role distribution). Undock when ready after a minimum of 30 minutes.

Staging fleet will be up for 1-2 hours if someone's super excited and really wants to be there FIRST, but I really don't expect people to join in that early. Formup is at 18:00.
<<

Tylenos Targas

Portrait

Post 2017.05.23 19:45

X. Time to rob my UPH ship cache :)
<<

Laser Skaron

Portrait

Post 2017.05.24 09:40

IMPORTANT! The low sec space bounded by Dastryns, Vey and Ouelletta (including the Brarel pocket) will become a free friendly fire zone during the event. Unistas not evolved in this event should avoid this space if possible.

We do not wish to hunt unistas outside of the two fleets, but our targets will be green. We do not wish to accidentally attack friendly bypassers.

Corp email will go out as soon as I can actually get home, login and write it - apparently gate.eveonline doesn't let you change font size/color from their UI...

Return to Corporation Events