Stupid Questions, V 1.0, Customs Offices

<<

Jammer Tonaskit

Portrait

Post 2012.11.22 07:05

Stupid Questions, V 1.0, Customs Offices

How do I blow away an enemy office out in null?

How do I keep mine from getting blown away after dude finds out?

Does anyone pay 20% tax?

I understand I'm supposed to transfer my office to a neutral corporation-- how do I keep control of it after that?

This is all turning out to be a hairy stick up my ass rather than the nice pat on the butt I was promised...

~Jammer
"Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery. All else is twaddle." --Admiral of the Fleet "Jackie" Fisher, 1918
<<

Jovan Geldon

Portrait

Post 2012.11.22 07:56

Re: Stupid Questions, V 1.0, Customs Offices

Jammer Tonaskit wrote:How do I blow away an enemy office out in null?

Shoot it until it goes into reinforced, then come back after it exits and shoot it some more. Once it blows up that spot is open again and you, or indeed anyone else, can anchor your own customs office gantry; once that is in place you need to insert a few PI commodities (Sterile Conduits and suchlike, I forget what exactly) to upgrade it to a full customs office under your control.
Jammer Tonaskit wrote:How do I keep mine from getting blown away after dude finds out?

Have more friends than he does.
Jammer Tonaskit wrote:Does anyone pay 20% tax?

Probably, but it would vary wildly depending on the composition of the planets in the system.
Jammer Tonaskit wrote:I understand I'm supposed to transfer my office to a neutral corporation-- how do I keep control of it after that?

Have more friends than anyone who wants to shoot it.
<<

Seamus Donohue

Portrait

Post 2012.11.22 07:57

I'm a bit rusty, so someone check me on this, please.

To destroy a Customs Office outside High Security, you need to shoot it until the shields drop to 25%, at which point it goes into Reinforced Mode, like a Player Owner Starbase (POS) would, assuming that the defenders loaded the Customs Office with Strontium Clathrates. (If the defenders forgot to do this, then they don't know how to operate a Customs Office.) Once it's in Reinforced Mode, it's temporarily invulnerable and you have to wait for Reinforced Mode to end, by which time the owners will probably have logged into the game, gotten the notification saying that YOU (I think your name is spelled out as being the shooter) attacked it, and mobilized a defensive fleet. Once the Customs Office leaves Reinforced Mode, the defenders can try to shieldboost it while you try to shoot it some more.

Reinforced Mode requires Strontium Clathrates, which can't be loaded into the Customs Office until the shields are boosted back up to... I forget what fraction, but it's no lower than 50%. So, as long as you have a fleet around to defeat the defending fleet, you will only have to wait out the Reinforcement Timer once.

To make a concept clear, here: unless the defenders were negligent in loading the Customs Office with Strontium Clathrates or are ALL on vacation, you cannot completely destroy the Customs Office before the defenders notice and put a fleet in place to protect it when it comes out of Reinforced Mode.

If your own Customs Office is attacked, then the above also applies, but in reverse: you are the defender.

The tax rate on a Customs Office is set by the owner of the Customs Office. Specifically, Customs Offices are corporate, not personal, property. YOU do not own a Customs Office; your player corporation owns it. Making changes to the Customs Office requires the appropriate roles in your player corporation. Corollary to this, you cannot set up a Customs Office with a character in EVE University unless the Directorate has given you roles. You would have to create an alt, then have the alt create a new player corporation, then use that alt to set up the Customs Office. The alt will need the Anchoring skill... I think to at least Level 1. Your alt can make whatever changes are needed to the settings, such as tax rates for different standing levels.
<<

Turhan Bey

Portrait

Director of Logistics
Director of Logistics

Post 2012.11.22 08:58

Customs Offices don't require strontium clathrates like a POS does. They simply always enter Reinforced Mode once their shields drop to 25% from above 50%, if it was owned by a player. (An NPC-owned CO will not enter Reinforced Mode.) The owning corporation is able to set a time of day within preset 2-hour ranges defining when a POCO will exit out of Reinforced Mode, and thus this time is not defined by an amount of strontium clathrates.

EDIT:

Besides this, the remainder of what Seamus stated is correct to the best of my recollection. (I haven't had to deal with my alt corp's POCOs in some time.)

A few other important notes for POCO-owning corporations:

- POCO's cannot have their own defensive batteries like a POS does. The only possible defense is an active one, i.e. players in ships.

- A POCO's reinforcement timer will always last at least 24 hours, and it is effectively (24 hrs + variance) based upon the set time range. So, a POCO reinforcement timer may last anywhere from 24 hrs to 48 hrs.

- When a POCO enters Reinforced Mode, its reinforced state including the countdown timer will be visible throughout the system for anyone who has CO's visible in their brackets. This is thus a very dangerous stage, because anybody who is flying through the system and can see CO's in space will know exactly which are reinforced and exactly when they will be vulnerable again. (For a POS, one must be on-grid with it to see its reinforced countdown timer.)
ImageImageImage
"The first mistake most gameplay zealots make is thinking that the game should revolve around them. The second is believing that it already does."
"Maybe it's just a game. Or perhaps it's a world. Perhaps it's a community. One thing is for certain: If it's only a game to you, then that is all it will ever be."
<<

Jammer Tonaskit

Portrait

Post 2012.11.25 03:21

Seamus Donohue wrote: Corollary to this, you cannot set up a Customs Office with a character in EVE University unless the Directorate has given you roles. You would have to create an alt, ...

Okay, this is the second time I've heard that you cannot set up a customs office in EVE University.

After much searching, I find no such regulation, and, in fact, I've found instructions on how to set up a customs office.

Can you (or anyone) point me to a regulation that says I can't set up a customs office with a character in EVE University, please?
"Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery. All else is twaddle." --Admiral of the Fleet "Jackie" Fisher, 1918
<<

Turhan Bey

Portrait

Director of Logistics
Director of Logistics

Post 2012.11.25 06:49

On the technical side, the act of anchoring and onlining the Customs Office Gantry (the first step in setting up a POCO) requires the "Configure Equipment" role in your corporation. After it is erected, configuring the POCO then requires the "Station Manager" role. You can be certain that no regular students will have either of these roles, because otherwise it would be a serious security risk to E-UNI.

On the regulatory side, it has been decided by the Directorate that no POCO's will be allowed by students. The reason, of course, is the security issue as stated. However, you bring up a good point in that I'm not exactly sure if it is explicitly spelled out anywhere. It's just that if you tried, then you wouldn't not succeed due to the lack of the above roles.
ImageImageImage
"The first mistake most gameplay zealots make is thinking that the game should revolve around them. The second is believing that it already does."
"Maybe it's just a game. Or perhaps it's a world. Perhaps it's a community. One thing is for certain: If it's only a game to you, then that is all it will ever be."
<<

Jammer Tonaskit

Portrait

Post 2012.11.27 08:07

Yup, I finally got it hashed out to where I understand it.

There's no rule because there doesn't need to be a rule.

The instant you launch a poco, it becomes Uni, and I don't (and most of us don't) have the roles necessary to complete the launch process.

So pocos must be launched by an alt.

For those of you who patiently answered my questions and waited for me to travel down the trail to the point I finally understood, thank you.

Return to Questions & Answers