Ore Compression

Forum rules
This forum can be viewed by the public.
<<

Chariscutae

Portrait

Post 2016.12.07 11:49

Ore Compression

I saw a message about someone wanting to buy Uncompressed ore in particular.
Is there any downside to compressing ore? Is there anything you can't do with it that you
can do with the regular stuff?
<<

Paledan Safemal

Portrait

Post 2016.12.07 19:36

Re: Ore Compression

You can't compress it and make a quick - if low - profit, but that's about it.
<<

Xiang Fong

Portrait

Post 2016.12.17 21:52

There are a lot less buy orders for it, which is annoying if you want to sell it
<<

Turhan Bey

Portrait

Director of Logistics
Director of Logistics

Post 2017.01.15 02:35

I think the real question is: Is ore compression or decompression lossy, and if so then by how much? (I don't know the answer myself.)

If it is not lossy, then there is no drawback to compression assuming that it is not difficult to find both compression facilities at the source and decompression facilities at the destination. You are then able to move the same volume of ore with fewer trips.

If it is lossy, then whether or not it is a good idea to do so would depend upon the level of loss in comparison with the transport savings.

EDIT: I am going to guess that it is lossy, and that compression only makes sense when needing to transport very large volumes. But again, that is just a guess.
ImageImageImage
"The first mistake most gameplay zealots make is thinking that the game should revolve around them. The second is believing that it already does."
"Maybe it's just a game. Or perhaps it's a world. Perhaps it's a community. One thing is for certain: If it's only a game to you, then that is all it will ever be."
<<

Yuri Titov

Portrait

Post 2017.01.15 11:07

Afaik ore compressions in citadels is free, requires no skills and causes no waste. If you're mining in some obscure system it is great for transporting - since you can fit around 300-350mil worth of ore in a tanky procurer.
<<

Valpa Kaloi

Portrait

Post 2017.01.15 11:20

You can sell uncompressed basic Omber and Kernite in storyline agent stations for stupidly high prices. Buyers are people like me who can't be bothered to jump to the next system to buy it at sensible prices to do the storyline mission. ;-)
<<

Anducio Grandoli

Portrait

Post 2017.01.15 21:57

Turhan Bey wrote:I think the real question is: Is ore compression or decompression lossy, and if so then by how much? (I don't know the answer myself.)

If it is not lossy, then there is no drawback to compression assuming that it is not difficult to find both compression facilities at the source and decompression facilities at the destination. You are then able to move the same volume of ore with fewer trips.

If it is lossy, then whether or not it is a good idea to do so would depend upon the level of loss in comparison with the transport savings.

EDIT: I am going to guess that it is lossy, and that compression only makes sense when needing to transport very large volumes. But again, that is just a guess.

There's no loss in compression but there is no ability to 'de-compress' ore. Once ore is compressed, you simply refine it like normal ore with the same batch quantities adjusted per compression ratio.

Yuri Titov wrote: Afaik ore compressions in citadels is free, requires no skills and causes no waste. If you're mining in some obscure system it is great for transporting - since you can fit around 300-350mil worth of ore in a tanky procurer.

Compression is free and accessible in any citadel/complex with a refining service module online and accessible.
<<

Turhan Bey

Portrait

Director of Logistics
Director of Logistics

Post 2017.01.19 22:22

Anducio Grandoli wrote:There's no loss in compression but there is no ability to 'de-compress' ore. Once ore is compressed, you simply refine it like normal ore with the same batch quantities adjusted per compression ratio.

Oh hmm, and there's no "loss" during refining in comparison to the original, uncompressed ore? In that case, there should be no reason to not compress it, except as noted above when selling someplace where buyers need the ore in raw form (e.g. mission hubs).
ImageImageImage
"The first mistake most gameplay zealots make is thinking that the game should revolve around them. The second is believing that it already does."
"Maybe it's just a game. Or perhaps it's a world. Perhaps it's a community. One thing is for certain: If it's only a game to you, then that is all it will ever be."
<<

Anducio Grandoli

Portrait

Post 2017.01.19 23:53

Turhan Bey wrote:
Anducio Grandoli wrote:There's no loss in compression but there is no ability to 'de-compress' ore. Once ore is compressed, you simply refine it like normal ore with the same batch quantities adjusted per compression ratio.

Oh hmm, and there's no "loss" during refining in comparison to the original, uncompressed ore? In that case, there should be no reason to not compress it, except as noted above when selling someplace where buyers need the ore in raw form (e.g. mission hubs).

Exactly. There's no reason not to compress ore if the service is available and you're not selling it to someone who will 'redeem' it in base form.

Return to Mining & Planetary Interaction