Help Titus Build Another New PC™

Forum rules
EVE University's usual communications rules apply, so ensure that any topics are appropriate for a family-friendly environment.
<<

Titus Tallang

Portrait

Director of Education
Director of Education

Post 2017.02.01 19:42

Help Titus Build Another New PC™

So, it's been almost 18 months since last time. Don't worry, the build is still chugging along just fine.

But I'm still building another PC, this time for a friend.

Titus Tallang wrote:However, there is an issue. I am quite out of touch with hardware developments, with what's good, what's bad, what's ugly and what tends to choke itself and die randomly. I also don't enjoy paying overprice when there are equivalent items available for cheaper.

Thus, I turn to (hopefully) competent people on these forums for insightful suggestions, because I just know there's bound to be a bunch of enthusiasts that are far more experienced at this than I could ever hope to be.

• This is, once again, a fresh build. Only peripherals are being migrated.
  • Budget around 1000€.
  • Trying to hit/exceed Rift min specs (GTX 970). How are the 10xx cards in comparison?
  • Currently aiming for tried-and-tested SSD+HDD setup.
  • Most VR games tend to optimize heavily for NVIDIA cards, so I'm leaning that way - open to arguments for the opposite, though.
  • No CPU heavy-lifting of the type that my previous build was meant for. As long as it doesn't bottleneck gaming, it'll fly.
Scientia potentia est.
If a statement I made seems offensive to you, please be assured that this was not my intent.
If I am mistaken about something, please tell me about it. We improve through sharing knowledge.
<<

Neonen Enderas

Portrait

Post 2017.02.01 19:47

Re: Help Titus Build Another New PC™

SPOILER WARNING!
ImageImage

Because I am lazy.
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Did someone say "Stealthbomber"? Explosions? And ECM? I'm in! Let's blow shit up! ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

<<

Rashar Arji

Portrait

Post 2017.02.01 20:07

This is what I went with about 3-4 months ago: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/rTr9cc
<<

Teshub Nandos

Portrait

Post 2017.02.03 15:58

Ok dont be scared by the polish language but i trust what those guys select for a given price point. With your 1000 € with no peripherals i suggest nr 14 from drop down list. Basically the number you see there should be divided by 4.

https://www.purepc.pl/zestawy_komputero ... _luty_2017

Sent from my SM-A500FU using Tapatalk
<<

Atrek Nhaz

Portrait

Post 2017.02.07 21:11

I am running the following for VR Development/NextGen (Unreal Engine 4, CryEngine, Unity 5, Oculus DK2, Adobe CS, Autodesk Maya/Max):
SPOILER WARNING!
AMD FX-8350 Black Edition 4.0 GHz/4.2GHz Turbo 8 Cores/8 Threads
Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX480 8GB (Runs Witcher 3 & DOOM at 1080p Ultra settings without issues & VR Premium Card, works fine with Rift & Vive)
ASUS M5A97 LE r2.0 (Not a "gamer" motherboard, but did the trick for me)
16GB (4x 4GB) DDR3 1333MHz RAM (Could go with a higher frequency)
ATX 12V 750W PSU with Crossfire/SLI Support
Western Digital Black 500GB 7200RPM SATA III 6GB/s (Main HDD for Development Applications & OS)
Western Digital Blue 1TB 7200RPM SATA III 6GB/s (Secondary HDD for Games, Profiles, things you can re-download)
ASUS 24x DVD-RW Burner/Reader

Personally I'd wait for the new AMD Zen CPU's since it'll be 4 Cores/8 Threads, 8 Cores/8 Threads, 8 Cores/16 Threads.

A GTX 1080 will be your best bet for being "future-proof" or a GTX 1070, though that'll be expensive, the AMD RX 480 8GB and GTX 1060 6GB seem to run games just fine, really the extra VRAM is nice to have though for EVE and such it'll go unused. Really depends on the games you wish to run, etc. I know I made a fun build for Witcher 3 and looked at Gears of War 4 system reqs as reference for when I upgraded from a GTX 660 2GB to RX 480 8GB & Phenom II X4 965 BE to FX-8350 BE.
Atrek Nhaz
Incursions Community | HSC | AMC | LSC | NSC
Freshman
<<

Tiberius Auduin

Portrait

Post 2017.02.09 18:32

I'm currently upgrading hardware as well, right now, what is better:
rx 480 8g or the 10xx (budget around 300 EUR)

Return to General Chat & Discussion