EVE University's Random Tip of the Day

For general discussion about EVE Online.
Forum rules
Discussions about EVE University should go in the E-Uni General Discussion subforum. If you have questions about joining EVE University, please contact our Personnel Department.
Nikolai Lachance

Re: EVE University's Random Tip of the Day

Post by Nikolai Lachance »

Waiting until you have T2 large guns before flying a battleship is a good way to lock yourself out of a lot of potential isk making opportunities such as L4 missions and Incursions, neither of which require the moderate increase in DPS T2 guns provides.
NightCypher

Post by NightCypher »

They're not required for either, sure, but they don't half help. It is worth noting, though, that admission into pretty much all of the better semi-private incursion communities requires T2 guns on whatever you're flying. The ISK boost from flying with a competent group versus a pick-up group from BTL or whatever can be pretty significant.
Shiva - Director of HR and Recruitment
Ex-ILN BG3 LT-JG and TF21 Security Liason, Ex-Senior Personnel Officer

Shiva is recruiting!
Dexter Lincoln

Post by Dexter Lincoln »

Just a little tip Ive picked up from doing some fleet ops,
Ctrl + space cancels any ship movement command, useful if youve accidently selected "jump" through gate rather than "warp to" and you need to quickly cancel it before possibly jepordising the fleet. However it wont stop a warp once it is in progress. Also handy if you undock and want to stop the ship quickly before it gets too far out.
Olacar Shazih (Biomassed 2016.06.28)

Post by Olacar Shazih (Biomassed 2016.06.28) »

Dexter Lincoln wrote:Ctrl + space cancels any ship movement command
You have to spam "Ctrl+Space" to get your warp or jump canceled.

To flee a trap and warp faster, you just have to aim a Celestial and spam "D" if the gate you are jumping through is crowded with pirates and/or to save your pod after they got your ship.
Mortar Fire
Title: Sophomore

Post by Mortar Fire »

Seamus Donohue wrote:[edit - January 8, 2012] Title change [/edit]

Seamus Donohue's Random Tip of the Day: Know your cloaking devices!

The Covert Ops Cloaking Device II (also known as a "covops cloak") doesn't have the velocity or scan resolution disadvantages, and you can warp while cloaked.
Which means I gotta train Cloaking IV ASAP. :)
McSnarf

Post by McSnarf »

Aligned bookmarks are unsafe as safespots!

Moving between two known points in space will only result in a fixed number of possible bookmarks - about one per second of flight.
This happens because the server looks at things once a second.

Imagine warping from point A to point B in 6 seconds (You will take longer, but allow me to simplify here).

A-----------------------------------------------------------B

You would expect to be able to place a bookmark on any "-" sign.

What really happens is:

A---------x---------x---------x---------x---------x---------B

Your in-flight bookmark WILL be on one of the "x" characters.

So, after arriving at your "x", align to something in a different direction to create a much safer bookmark.

McSnarf wrote:You would expect to be able to place a bookmark on any "-" sign.
Is it possible to place bookmarks all the way from point A in System I to point B in System II avoiding jump gates between the two systems?
McSnarf

Post by McSnarf »

Olacar Shazih wrote:
McSnarf wrote:You would expect to be able to place a bookmark on any "-" sign.
Is it possible to place bookmarks all the way from point A in System I to point B in System II avoiding jump gates between the two systems?
Hm. Yes, but it will take a bit of time.

The distance between systems is much bigger than the distance between any two jump gates within a system. The distance between Hagilur and neighboring Dudreda is about 0.9 lighyears.
The biggest distance between two gates in eve is something like 273AU, equivalent to 0.00431690673 lightyears.
(You can look at a database dump to learn precise details.)
Now. To warp to something, you will need an object to warp to. Let's say you fly from Dudreda to Hek, creating a new bookmark just before shutdown. After shutdown, you warp to that bookmark and continue.

Not counting any exploits, let's assume that you are magically able to fit a ship to be cap stable at 100 km/sec.
If my math (on the back of a napkin) is correct, the flight will take only 408402187 seconds. Expect about 12 years.

But I think the client also limits your exploratory spirit in some way.

On the other hand...
Imagine you could fly into W-Space from K-Space (W-Space has spatial coordinates in the database) or just go on a field trip to Jovian space.

Another question: We were shown the above effect by fleetwarping, taking a bookmark "at random" and then warping back to our bookmark, to find that we were in one of the "x" places in company of other fleet members.

As the server looks at things once a second, I wonder if this still works if people do NOT fleet warp.
If the server tick is counted from begin of client action, then we only have

If there is a "central" server tick, we have variations like

A-------x---------x---------x---------x---------x--------x--B
A--x--------x---------x---------x---------x---------x-------B

depending on start time relative to the server tick.
In that case, the issue is not as relevant.

Good thing for a Uniblob to work out, isn't it?

(And still - if you sit still between two gates, you will blip up on the overview if someone warps by, IIRC.)
Keris Soleil

Post by Keris Soleil »

Never assume anything, and never accept any information as gospel.

Eve's been around for a long time and in that time a lot of changes have been made. Because of this, any information you find on the 'net, on a wiki, in a blog etc. could be out of date. In the same way, players are only human, so any answers you get in a help channel (even the Uni's) could be flat-out wrong, a widely believed fallacy or simply out of date. Or true... that happens sometimes too! :D

Asking questions and doing your research are always good starting points, but don't let them conflict with experiential learning either. If somebody tells you X, and you can see that Y is happening, it could be that they misinterpreted your question, you misinterpreted their answer or one of you is flat out wrong etc. Ultimately, the best way to find something out is to actually do it for yourself and draw your own conclusions.

Keep an open mind at all times and remember that Eve is one of those games where you never stop learning.
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Image Image
Daniel Wittaker wrote:Did you know you can fund your PvP and accounts using nothing but pure, renewable stupidity? It's a very green source of energy and requires almost no effort.
McSnarf

Post by McSnarf »

Nikolai Lachance wrote:Waiting until you have T2 large guns before flying a battleship is a good way to lock yourself out of a lot of potential isk making opportunities such as L4 missions and Incursions, neither of which require the moderate increase in DPS T2 guns provides.
Flying a battleship without a reasonable T2 tank and a good set of support skills, however, will result in you losing said battleship much easier.
A vet in a battlecruiser might be enough.
McSnarf

Post by McSnarf »

For something completely different: Fly to Jita (when able to, not always recommended) and dock up. Listen to Local. About everything you see on offer in local chat will be a scam. Take contracts. Look at the details, find out what the scam is. If you don't see it at first, you are either missing something (very likely) or it is a real offer (check calendar. Are Easter and Christmas on the same day?).
Cal Centauri

Post by Cal Centauri »

Strangers sending you mails with faction ships they are selling below market price, are probably trying to scam you by selling the normal version of the ship.

(Learned the hard way)

Yesterday, I was trying out some Venture fittings to mine efficiently and the http://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Survey_Scanner_I helped me to scan asteroids and know wich one to mine depending on the room in my cargo hold. No more "the asteroid depleated" message for me and as I keep my ship moving in max speed while mining to warp faster in case of an embush I don't see my ship leave the asteroid field randomly anymore and keep control of it . Using the D-Scan very often helps me to align my Venture when pirates pop-up and jump before the attackers start moving. Hope this will help.
Bosozoku Kane

EVE University's Random Tip of the Day

Post by Bosozoku Kane »

When something looks too good to be true in Jita, its a scam. https://forums.eveonline.com/default.as ... ts&t=18942
McSnarf

Post by McSnarf »

If the FC assigns a primary target, shoot at the primary. Do not shoot at anything else unless being ordered to.
With the flavour of the month (at least) being fleets with logi support, the only way to crack an enemy ship is by focussing fire.
(And yes, you will be on MORE killmails that way.)