Golden Punishers - II

Budda Sereda
Title: Manager (Fittings), Mentor, Lieutenant, Graduate, Management

Golden Punishers - II

Post by Budda Sereda »

Another interesting evening! :) I lost 3 ships in 1 roaming, but it was REALLY FUN!

We started in low numbers, today we did not get impressive kills, but few were REALLY interesting.

On the beginning we had around 10 pilots, I asked for 2 logies (free Navitas!!!), I got 2 scouts, 1 EWar, the rest Punishers. Noah was trying to join us, but on the way from WHC he noticed a gate camp with instalockers so turned back. That's unfortunate, but we did not have numbers to break them.

Roam members (13)
Spoiler

Code: Select all

Aestrid Varran
Budda Sereda
Draco Decius
Kramnath
Luca Goh
Nikki BDB
Rider Isleman
Sone Eto
Trevor Grambling
Tyler Arnoux
Vors Voorhorian
Wokum
gaheris Anninen
As usually we went into Black Raise (Nannamaila), we had nothing on our way till we find a Venture in Eug. Whole fleet waited for newcomers to land on kill:
Kills and Losses
(02:24:55) Eugales
Venture +0.17m

Next prey was better
(02:40:45) Aldranette
Thorax +30.92m
Pilot posted "brb" in local, but we never came back as were busy in Nen and Aki.

In Nennamaila we got Prophecy at the small, in the end of the skirmish we got 2 more his fleetmates. Garmur with Thrasher landed on the grid:
Griffin -0.92m - Luca - please keep flying Griffin, your loss is unfortune, but I want to encourage you to fly EWar - that's one of the coolest things, but does require good skills: situation awareness, navigation.
Prophecy +69.21m

We were able to tackle and kill Thrasher, losing our scout:

Atron -4.53m
Thrasher +2.27m

I did not want to play with Garmur, and tried to disengage. Here I called fleet to approach me, later allign out. I should have been more patient and WAIT for people to come to me. But it looks like not everybody followed, and at some point when I thought everybody is aligned and nobody is pointed I warped fleet out.
Yeah, clearly s..t happened and one of us was pointed.

When I learn? I should get people together, I still had pilot with scram and MWD and could either catch that Garmur when he comes really close, or push him out at 40-50 and warp fleet out.

Instead I warped while we were spread out and it was really hard to make sure Garmur is far. So logy was pointed.

I did call fleet to warp back to plex at 0 with an intention to either catch reps on logy and save him, or if this is TOO late to just slide the gate.
But we were late and logy was killed:
Navitas -4.26m
Capsule -0.01m

But at this time, Prophecy pilot reshipped into Caracal (hehe, he did feel the pain and decided to use cheaper ship), so instead of sliding the gate I called to kill Caracal too. We did have only 1 logy, but only lost 1 Punisher and this time we were able to extract with no further loses.

Navitas -5.85m
Caracal +24.88m
Punisher -6.81m

It is interesting and concerning, that only 4 pilots landed on the Caracal kill... I admit it was a bit hectic, but still, where were other pilots?

One of our logies was killed traveling I guess... :(
(02:57:41) Old Man Star
Reaper -0.03m
Capsule -0.01m

After reship and small break we continued.

Don't remember details on this kill, I believe he engaged vanguard on the gate:
(03:22:40) Nennamaila
Omen Navy Issue +99.13m

Scouts found Brutix on one of plexes, interestingly, we killed him really quick. Don't remember if we had logy at that time, I believe we did have one.
(03:29:07) Nennamaila
Punisher -4.79m
Punisher -7.11m
Brutix +74.16m

As soon as we killed 1 Brutix, another landed. We quickly pushed him into the structure when got Execuror, Caracal, ONI (another pilot) landed on grid so I called all to scatter. And as we were warping off I heard something like they fight each other. So I called fleet to warp back to plex at 10 with intention either join the fight or slide the gate and hide.

Mistake #1 was to not get fleet together but call for warp as soon as you go out of previous warp.

When I landed I saw Brutix still with 0 structure and I assumed that Exequror from the 3rd party, is not repping Brutix and decided to take Brutix.
That was a mistake: Brutix was heavily tanked we barely scratched him, but started taking damage. So I called to scatter and left 3 ships.

Punisher -1.56m
Punisher -6.73m
Punisher -6.78m

Sone found a slasher, but was killed and slasher warped away the second we landed inside of the plex :(
(03:50:04) Nennamaila
Atron -3.37m

And in the end we got the most interesting kill of the day. Aki and Nen were getting borred so we moved towards Tama.
First we were distracted by Tornado jumping between tacticals, later something else and at some point we randomly jumped into non-flashy Hurricane. We still had 8 punishers and 1 logy so I called to take Hurricane.

I got him first, got primaried by gate guns and the moment I got 2nd point I bounced. While I was out I was screaming at people to bounce if they were taking gate guns fire. We got people bouncing, including logy.. but Hurricane pilot was good enough to kill for of us.

(04:08:48) Pynekastoh, Abune
Punisher -7.93m
Punisher -6.37m

At some point I was killed and was afraid we won't be able to break him.
Punisher -8.5m
Atron -3.52m

But I believe at this point we got logy back on grid and he helped us to stay alive. I warped back on grid in Capsule to make sure to call 'scatter' if we can't break Hurricate, but we did it.
Hurricane +76.34m
Excellent! Not that it was a super kill, but the fight itself was really cool.

Good job Fleet!

And on the way back Sone jumped into SB and warned us to go the other way.
Capsule -34.83m

Stats
ISK Destroyed: 377,077,114.67
ISK Lost: 113,911,535.23
ISK Delta: 263,165,579.44
Efficiency: 76.8%

Nice fleet! Hope to see you guys again!

P.S. Feel free to post the feedback: https://goo.gl/forms/W6OTiwPMD2Lu1lmL2
Budda Sereda

Re: Golden Punishers - II

Post by Budda Sereda »

From what could be better: this time I was keeping MWD on orbiting things. This worked well against BCs, but not vs navy cruisers: I often was falling at 2-3 km off.

I believe having 20-30% Punishers Web instead of scram would be beneficial: helps to keep target still and should let orbiting it with MWD off. Will call for some webs for punishers next time.
Luca Goh

Post by Luca Goh »

Budda, this was really enjoyable fleet. I really appreciated how well you kept us moving and the decisiveness of your actions. There were some fights -
the Hurricane comes to mind - that wouldn't have happened if you hadn't made a very quick decision to act. I appreciated your calculated aggressiveness and felt the fleet really benefited from it.
Budda Sereda wrote:Luca - please keep flying Griffin, your loss is unfortune, but I want to encourage you to fly EWar - that's one of the coolest things, but does require good skills: situation awareness, navigation.
Thanks for mentioning this. As a newbro I'm still trying to figure out what FCs' preferences are - there's a difference between taking an EWAR ship along and actually wanting an EWAR ship. I knew our numbers were a bit low and there had been a discussion earlier about the limits of our DPS and what we could engage, so when I went to reship I was trying to figure out whether you had a preference for me getting into a Punisher. Things were a bit crazy at the time and so when I didn't get a clear answer to my initial question I didn't want to push it; I just decided to go with the more "practical" choice and change to a Punisher instead. So I appreciate and am glad to have the encouragement to continue to experiment with EWAR because I'm very interested in it; it seems like a unique way for me to contribute and learn about a different side of PvP.
Budda Sereda wrote:It is interesting and concerning, that only 4 pilots landed on the Caracal kill... I admit it was a bit hectic, but still, where were other pilots?
I remember I was still reshipping at this point. Was trying to get back to the action asap!
Budda Sereda wrote:And in the end we got the most interesting kill of the day. Aki and Nen were getting borred so we moved towards Tama.
First we were distracted by Tornado jumping between tacticals, later something else and at some point we randomly jumped into non-flashy Hurricane. We still had 8 punishers and 1 logy so I called to take Hurricane.
What a fun fight. I had the gate guns turn on me early and started bouncing after I was brought down to half armor. As the fight continued and became in doubt I decided to dive back in even though the shields were still recharging. It was gratifying to return just in time to lock target and finish off the hull. Lotsa fun. The good comm dialogue and continual updates as to the status of the Hurricane were key in allowing me to know that the Hurricane was still pointed and taking damage and that it was worth it to return to the fight. Good job by all on this front.

Again, it was a great fleet, lots of fun. Hoping to make it back next week!
Budda Sereda

Post by Budda Sereda »

Thanks for compliments Luca!
Luca Goh wrote: Things were a bit crazy at the time and so when I didn't get a clear answer to my initial question I didn't want to push it; I just decided to go with the more "practical" choice and change to a Punisher instead.
Honestly, I don't remember the question about what to reship into. I recommend next time you to be more insisting on making sure your question was heard :)

And even with 7 Punishers I would still prefer to have 1 EWar instead of another DD. I would love to hear comments from more experienced pilots/FCs on that decision, but consider that if we had EWar in a fight with Hurricane (and you survived gate guns - TBH is easy to do) we had chance to not lose anything at all. In a first fight with that Garmur, you would just keep Garmur perma jammed and he would just left.
What a fun fight. I had the gate guns turn on me early and started bouncing after I was brought down to half armor. As the fight continued and became in doubt I decided to dive back in even though the shields were still recharging. It was gratifying to return just in time to lock target and finish off the hull. Lotsa fun. The good comm dialogue and continual updates as to the status of the Hurricane were key in allowing me to know that the Hurricane was still pointed and taking damage and that it was worth it to return to the fight. Good job by all on this front.

Again, it was a great fleet, lots of fun. Hoping to make it back next week!
Yeah, great fight!
Waiting for shields recharge is poor option:
1. In armor tank ship your shield is very thing, have low resist, and restores slowly. You don't care about shield at all. And when you lose your shield in armor fit - you just notice: ok, the fight has began. :)
2. If you are in a shield fit and MUST repair it, dock to the station at get it insta-repaired, or warp to a free-port citadel to repair shield quickly. If you have logy on grid, it is often 'relatively safe' (nothing is safe in EVE) to come back to grid. Though, this is up to you and your risk tolerance: I encourage you to come back on the grid and risk losing a ship than look for repair and lose an opportunity to shoot things. Flying an expensive ship it is probably a wise option to repair first. Also, this depends on fight intensity: if we should a lone cruiser and have few logies on the grid they should be able to rep you.
Luca Goh

Post by Luca Goh »

Budda Sereda wrote:Honestly, I don't remember the question about what to reship into. I recommend next time you to be more insisting on making sure your question was heard :)

And even with 7 Punishers I would still prefer to have 1 EWar instead of another DD. I would love to hear comments from more experienced pilots/FCs on that decision, but consider that if we had EWar in a fight with Hurricane (and you survived gate guns - TBH is easy to do) we had chance to not lose anything at all. In a first fight with that Garmur, you would just keep Garmur perma jammed and he would just left.
Many thanks for the feedback, Budda. I will definitely keep it in mind to be more assertive if I have such a question. Good points re: the role of EWAR that I will definitely stew over. Next time I make it to a Budda fleet, I will bring my jams! :D That said I would love to hear opinions from other FCs on this issue. Knowing how much sticking to the doctrine is desired would be of great help to a newbro like myself.
Budda Sereda wrote: Waiting for shields recharge is poor option:
1. In armor tank ship your shield is very thing, have low resist, and restores slowly. You don't care about shield at all. And when you lose your shield in armor fit - you just notice: ok, the fight has began. :)
2. If you are in a shield fit and MUST repair it, dock to the station at get it insta-repaired, or warp to a free-port citadel to repair shield quickly. If you have logy on grid, it is often 'relatively safe' (nothing is safe in EVE) to come back to grid. Though, this is up to you and your risk tolerance: I encourage you to come back on the grid and risk losing a ship than look for repair and lose an opportunity to shoot things. Flying an expensive ship it is probably a wise option to repair first. Also, this depends on fight intensity: if we should a lone cruiser and have few logies on the grid they should be able to rep you.
Thanks for the info, it is much appreciated. Honestly I am much more experienced flying shield-tanked ships to armor-tanked ones, so I suppose I'm programmed to see the loss of shields as a much greater threat than it was in this case. Partly this is due to still not having experience with a variety of ships, and learning to adjust how I read information based on new contexts.

I have a pretty high risk tolerance, especially within the context of a roam, so knowing what I know now I would have been back on grid sooner! Next time.