[WHC] Roll for Content, attempt #1

Budda Sereda
Title: Manager (Fittings), Mentor, Lieutenant, Graduate, Management

[WHC] Roll for Content, attempt #1

Post by Budda Sereda »

As planned (https://forum.eveuniversity.org/viewtop ... 6&t=104057), RfC fleet did happen, and the biggest surprise is we get quite a lot of people! I don't remember exact number, but we had around 9 DD, 2 logies, 4 Rollers; few more people joined later and replaced those who needed to leave: so I call it a success from attendance perspective!

Unfortunately, even though we get content and kills, the whole operation was not really as engaging as I would like to be.

Let me start with things that could be better.

1. Common ships in Alpha hangar... where they are? In the beginning of the fleet, we only had 2 rolling BSs and no rolling HIC! Seriously? Luckily some people do have rolling ships in personal ownership, but ... please put rolling BSs back.

2. Rolling process itself was relatively slow. Rage rolling was ok-ish (though we could still improve), but non-rage rolling is a bit of time-consuming.

3. Scanning for a new Bacon, but I believe scouting of the new Bacon can be quicker. Maybe we should get a covops ship for scanning?

4. Scouting a new Bacon was boring for those who were waiting for content. It is not a criticism to scouts, but still when Recon and later 1 more pilot in a scout ship were scouting through the Bacon everybody were ... boring. I believe that can be improved, see below.

What was good:

1. Attendance: great!

2. Assistance from different pilots and exposure to ships: Noah got Lachesis (luckily did not scratch till the very end :)), we got a Rolling HIC (don't remember pilot name).

3. We did get kills:

First was really a joke: quite quickly we found a venture, https://zkillboard.com/kill/61582624/ +2M Funny part is that we warped to it, scrammed, and bubbled and waited good 30 seconds before kill so everybody who wants will have time to warp and shoot it :)

Seconds was an easy kill to, but was hard to catch: Analiese who joined as in the middle was persistent enough to catch a hacking confessor:
https://zkillboard.com/kill/61584540/ 161M ship and https://zkillboard.com/kill/61584564/ 96M pod

Totally killed: 259M
Totally lost: 0 :)

After we done with hunting we went for ratting: Bacon had 30 combat sites, unfortunately, very few pilots left for that.

So, the most important part of AAR:

how can we improve so fleet is more engaging.

1. More aggressive rage-rolling.
2. CovOps ship for scanning for a new Bacon.
3. I guess depending on numbers we can have more Recon and Stratios so more people scouting and get quicker feedback on content or further rolling. We can calculate and consider their mass for further impact rolling.
4. Get more newbros close to the end of the rolling so we will have a solid ratting and help newbros to make ISKs.
5. We probably don't need as many people online if they are ready to log on ping... but we still need a solid rolling squad.

Any other suggestions? Feel free to add if I missed anything.
Last edited by Budda Sereda on 2017.04.16 04:35, edited 1 time in total.
Budda Sereda

Re: [WHC] Roll for Content, attempt #1

Post by Budda Sereda »

We will Roll for Content at least once again next week, check corp calendar!
Analiese Aubernet

Post by Analiese Aubernet »

1) Be ready to roll more quickly.

2) Decide hunt/don't hunt more quickly - mass of cruisers/covops is not going to affect rolling calcs really.
Neonen Enderas (Biomassed 2017.06.23)

Post by Neonen Enderas (Biomassed 2017.06.23) »

Where is the rolling Golem?

1. No seriously, the issue with the missing rolling battleships comes from people rolling and then keeping the battleship in their personal hangar. Back in the good old.. or terrible, depends, POS days, you took it out of the one SMA and put it back there. Now you are in a station and have to remember putting it back. :P

2. What went wrong/slow here? Takes a bit of coordination to pull it off fast.

3. Scanning can be done by everyone(the rolling battleships have probes too), just stay tethered and scan as soon as the new sig appears.

4. Whelp, that's the issue if you have a scout. It's a bit boring but what can you do? I'd rather wait 2 minutes than scare away a target. DSCAN the hole, is nothing is there you can let more people in without a problem.
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Did someone say "Stealthbomber"? Explosions? And ECM? I'm in! Let's blow shit up! ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Yuri Titov

Post by Yuri Titov »

With that amount of people maybe it'd be better to extend this op to checking outgoing connection from bacon.
Like so
Roll bacon
Scan new sig
Get recon in, check d
If nothing get covops in and warp around
If nothing get 2-3 scanners, scan for WH only and repeat the above for every hole found
Fight or roll

Imho this would be more productive than yesterday's effort.

All depends on what we're trying to find, to blob a random venture ragerolling bacon on repeat is fine but to get a decent fight I think we would need more patience and scouting.
ImageImage
Mia Sedgwick

Post by Mia Sedgwick »

If you're rage rolling a O477 then you need enough Higgs Battleships to close it in one round trip (3 Higgs and one normal BS I think), my best suggestion would be to have a scanning/tackle team and a rolling team.

The way we tend to do it is a Cov Ops with a few Sabres in one squad, when they get the new sig the Cov Ops squad warps the tackle with it, they can then check the hole immediately, having a second Cov Ops is usually a good idea and they can take turns scanning as well as scouting the new connection. When they land the Sabres get to 0 on the hole and the rolling team then warps over. If you find content then you reship your Battleships (assuming you don't have alts for this as its the Uni), usually into dps and other support, Logi however should be moving with the rolling team as well as a HIC, any additional numbers should then be dps.
Tylenos Targas
Title: WHC Admin Officer, Overdue for a podding, Mass Damps, tl;dr, Cannon Virtuoso, Inactive Softeners, Graduate

Post by Tylenos Targas »

4 Higgs battleships for ragerolling the 2 billion (+/- 10%) hole.

Ragerolling:
300-300-200-200 (4 out, warp to interceptor or covops on tactical)

if shrink
200-200-300-300 (4 back in)

if not
300-300-300-300 (4 back in)

Perfect setup would be to have 4 battleship capable alts on off-screens for the rolling, that way you can keep your combat fleet ready without reshipping. We should have quite a few of those around by now.
Aeliyah Thor

Post by Aeliyah Thor »

Was fun. I didnt get on the KM as I didnt know who the warp-in was haha *silly me*. Glad I joined, had to run after the Venture although and missed all the fun :(.

From a newbro perspective I liked it. I was myself just in a destroyer and I can actually pilot HIC and BS:s but I didn't dare to up-ship something any of you guys had in hangar if I lost it haha.

Cheers and hopefully I can join in the next one :=)
Aeliyah
Analiese Aubernet

Post by Analiese Aubernet »

The rolling was just slow in that we had people constantly reshipping, I think I was the only one with an alt in a battleship :P

I agree with Yuri that we should probably be scouting more than one system deep in the chain, some good fights have come from 2nd or 3rd layer connections.
Budda Sereda

Post by Budda Sereda »

Analiese Aubernet wrote:The rolling was just slow in that we had people constantly reshipping, I think I was the only one with an alt in a battleship :P

I agree with Yuri that we should probably be scouting more than one system deep in the chain, some good fights have come from 2nd or 3rd layer connections.
I was reshipping, but I was always ready in a BS to jump for rolling...

I agree we should decide quicker: hunt or roll, and this in turn requires agreement on what is the lowest limit for hunting. Ventures probably are not worth distraction. Confessors... maybe yes, this one appeared to be a juicy one (as for confessors, + pod).
Maybe if we just had more scouts (also Astero, not Stratios) we just would catch it quicker. And... after we have an operation and people jumped through the hole... we are slow to roll again because we don't rage-roll... Should we count a mass of BCs that jumped so we do the math and continue rage rolling?
Yuri Titov

Post by Yuri Titov »

Budda Sereda wrote:Should we count a mass of BCs that jumped so we do the math and continue rage rolling?
yes and no, assuming your last jump is always 300, your buffer so to speak is around 100, brutix is 15 - back and forth 30, 3 brutixes and a cruiser jumping in/out and you can roll a battleship out. Safest bet that doesn't rely on maths on the fly is to go with regular rolling sequence after you've jumped a fleet through.

the reasons I'm saying we should quickly scout the connections out of bacon if there's nothing there
1) a lot of decent corps that give good fights don't live in c3s
2) we're unlikely to encounter an enemy fleet in space and if we want a good fight we need to bait one out
3) to bait a fight it would help if we were 2j away from whomever we're baiting, because they will want to get eyes on us before committing to anything.
4) historically, bacon itself is bad for PvP and we mostly find stuff elsewhere that comes to bacon to fight us.
ImageImage
Titus Tallang
Retired Director
Retired Director
Title: Director of Special Projects, Teacher, Puella Magi

Post by Titus Tallang »

By the way, if you understand the logic behind the regular rolling chart you can speed up that process too by putting up to three battleships out with only minor delay between them (enough to tell when it goes shrink).

The question "which way did it shrink? in/out" then becomes "how many battleships were outside when it shrunk? even number/odd number" instead, proceed as usual from there.
*creak*
Budda Sereda

Post by Budda Sereda »

Thanks Titus, I do understand logic, need to go through these non-standard scenarios to feel confident. Will try next time.

@Yuri: if we start scanning Bacon... it will take even more time... I agree that to get a good fight we need to bait, but this will increase the operation even longer.
From the other side, I agree that the best what we can catch in C3 is a ratting solo ship which won't be much fun to fight... Whatever it will be, having 10 thirsty pilots (and at least 7 will project around 500 dps) will kill literally anything in C3 in a matter of one minute...

Croixant
Title: Manager (CCI), "The Most Interesting Man In The World", Graduate, Management

Post by Croixant »

This was a lot of fun and it definitely should be repeated.

I was the HIC pilot. I was glad that I logged in just when my HIC was needed. :-)

Keep it up!

Croix
o7

Croixant
CCI Coordinator
Kerodan Alduin
Title: Fittings staff, Graduate

Post by Kerodan Alduin »

I think the scouting deeper into the chain tactic proposed by several people has another advantage, as it gets more people involved in scanning/hunting who would otherwise be idle. It is probably also a good way to teach the K-space dwellers how to scout in WH space.