[WHC] NNIthH for USTZ

Budda Sereda
Title: Manager (Fittings), Mentor, Lieutenant, Graduate, Management

[WHC] NNIthH for USTZ

Post by Budda Sereda »

I would like to describe few things that were not planned during NNitH for USTZ class (http://forum.eveuniversity.org/viewtopi ... 2&t=100700).

1st surprise came to me is that shortest path from Slays to WHC home was through the low sec. That is not something I expected and this made me worrying.
We had the way through the high sec, but that would be 19 or 24 jumps (don't remember exactly), but... why wasting time if you travel in a fleet of 10 ships? so I decided we go through high-sec.

Anducio was scouting and we reached eggs with no surprised.

After short class on basics, with solid back-up of 3 guardians from WHC who joined us in Innuendo, I lef fleet to kill sleepers. First we killed 1 combat site in C2, later moved into C3 (2B2). We have around 10 DDs (mainly T1 CFs and I believe 2 T1 BC) + 3 guardians.
System had only 2 connections (1 to low-sec, another to bacon). I had scout in low-sec system, other whc guys hanging in bacon so was quite confident that we will be warned before been attacked.

Half-way through the 1st combat site in C3 Tengu was spotted in D by somebody. He immediately disappered. I decided to keep making ISKs (we had enough ships to not die in a minute so I decided to take a risk and have a fight if attacked). Additional thing I asked 1 more scout to stay on the 2b2 hole in Bacon and let us know if he sees spike on Dscan or on the grid.

Plan was to run 4 FFS sites and as class was taking quite a while already I called a day.
Nothing happened to the very end, Marion when for salvager, I called people to collect their MTUs, we started moving into Bacon and Innuendo. The moment fleet jumped into Inno Marion who was still salvaging was ganked. @Marion, if you don't mind please feel in this part as I don't remember all things.
Essentially, he was able to warp off the grid while that fleet landed. He was in destroyer and quicker than our 'friends' so was able to escape in time.

I believe that Tengu was in system and waiting for friends (we had quite a big number to be ganked by even 6 ships). I believe they came from low sec and we did not notice them as our scout moved with us back home.

Lesson to learn #1: there is always cloaked Proteus (or Tengu) who is sitting on your back. Undocking WH make sure you can afford losing your ship and pod. This time, though, we were lucky.

Lesson #2: I feel I should not let scout go from the post while we completed salvaging.

After completing the paper work we headed back home. Some students just jumped into high sec and went to there direction. 5 still left (DDs only, no logies) and myself with Anducio helped them to arrive back home. Plan was to arrive safely, but this did not work too well.

Remembering my early times, when I had hard time to follow FCs' commands I intentionally was moving slow and making sure we travel all together (with obvious exception - scout was +1).
Traveling through the low sec we have noticed quite a few flashies... and at some point i've noticed they started following us.
I did not come us with anything better than keep moving. Especially i did not see them trying to catch us immediately.
But 1-2 systems further down the path they caught up and engaged. In the end we lost 2 ships (https://zkillboard.com/kill/56252878/ and https://zkillboard.com/kill/56252886/). Everybody eventually was able to doc, Gaia and Thorax reshiped and with Anducio's help 1-by-1 we were able to jump through gates and leave the danger zone.

Lesson #3: as FC, traveling through the dangerous zone without plan to engage you should avoid sitting on gate and wait for slow ships to catch up. If you need to wait - doc to station or to another safe place (create a BM). Scout when out-gate and in-gate in next systems are clear - and make 1 jump and hide for safety again.

Lesson #4: as FC, you can judge if whole fleet arrived by checking local (I spent too much time in WH and forgot this is a reliable indicator:) ).

Lesson #5: as a pilot, if you are engaged on the gate:
1. don't panick (which is inevitable until you lose a dozen of ships)
2. align and try to warp to out-gate or to station.
3. if you are not scrammed - you successfully worp off.
4. if you scrammed - jump back to gate - your opponent won't be able to as he has weapon timer. and if opponent make a mistake - you will worp off the gate to safe place.

Neither of these tricks would work for Giai as she was jumped off the gate by command destroyer with MJDFG. She was pushed 100km off the gate and essentially did not have chance. Though she saved the pod, GJ!

Thank you guys for all who joined.

P.S. Thanks to Anducio who reimbursed students loses of their ships!
Marion Xadi
Title: Sophomore

Re: [WHC] NNIthH for USTZ

Post by Marion Xadi »

After we finished the last site I went to grab a salvage destroyer.

The first 2 sites were salvaged uneventfully.

On the third site I finished salvaging the last wreck and initiated warp to the final site.
As I was accelerating into warp I saw the fleet on grid. I don't remember exactly what was in it but there were about half a dozen ships including a Stratios and at least two Nemesis.

I don't actually think that keeping the picket on the hole would have helped in this case. I think they were already cloaked and in system.
My escape was due to a combination of luck and being in a small fast ship.

My guess is that they were greedy and decided to wait for me to salvage the last wreck before decloaking. If their SBs had decloaked earlier they might have pointed me before I could initiate warp. But since they waited until I had already started aligning they didn't have time.

After that I sat at the last site in a Pilgrim for about 30 minutes. Before I logged off I asked someone (I don't remember who) to come salvage the final site while I spammed d-scan. The remaining loot was added to the loot hangar.
Budda Sereda
Title: Manager (Fittings), Mentor, Lieutenant, Graduate, Management

Post by Budda Sereda »

Marion, I do believe their fleet came to system after we left. Otherwise, how could 2 scouts sitting on 2 only hole could miss them?
Ferdaid O'Neill

Post by Ferdaid O'Neill »

TBH i'd say that doing the salvaging after everything is cleared is a mistake. Once all the sites are cleared, it's easy for some people to go AFK, grab a beer/coffee/whatever and leave the isk on the field. Whilst you have a varied fleet in the site, you have a fleet in the system. It won't put off all attackers, but some will think twice - and you may even be able to take on other fights. Therefore always fit for pvp when in a care bear fleet.

Clear site 1 with MTU. Start site 2. Send salvager in for site 1. MTU owner comes back to scoop MTU (leave blue loot). Rinse and repeat. Use two salvagers if needed to keep up with the fleet (alternate sites).

(Oh, and drop your loot off on a regular basis in Innuendo. If you lose 3 sites of loot then it hurts a bit. If you lose 8-10 sites then it hurts a lot. Been there, done that.....it's not a nice feeling)
Former Titles Staff & WHC SRP Officer

Titles Titles FAQs