Sub-BS for solo high end PVE

<<

Code Iskandar

Portrait

Post 2013.01.18 16:38

Sub-BS for solo high end PVE

Not sure which section this topic goes under but Ill give it a shot here.

Background: Im currently a low SP character with pretty much nothing in missiles/gunnery skills, so im quite open to any path available, except for lasers (personal reasons). Now skilling up BC to 5 (hopefully) but still flying frigs/dessies.

Help needed with: Deciding which race to go with for soloing high end pve stuffs (nullsec ratting, combat sites, and maybe c2/c3 WH). Initially I wanted to go caldari for missile drakes and maybe a year down the line, the tengu, but with the missile nerf and the upcoming drake nerf, it doesnt seem as attractive a choice anymore. So now im looking at the minmatar ships with projectile guns, and to some extent, drone ships like ishtar/gila.

Eventually I would like to have a wider range of choice once I have a lot of skills trained up, but for now, as an objective i can put in my skill plan, any of you gurus have any recommendations? (Im aiming to fly a BC first, then one of the T2 ships if theyre an upgrade)

Edit: Training for ships/skills that would complement PVP activities would also be a plus
<<

Axel Defour

Portrait

Post 2013.01.18 16:54

Re: Sub-BS for solo high end PVE

For cruiser level PvE, the Ishtar, Legion, Gila, and Tengu are all the best, though you really want T2 sentries if you go drones. The Tengu nerf just made it less stupid overpowered, so you have to be within 60km of your target to use Rage missiles instead of shooting everything from 90km away. So don't automatically discard the Tengu, especially if you are using Drakes first.

For solo battlecruisering, as far as I can tell, the Sleipnir is the only ship anyone uses.

Edit: For PvP dual use, the Sleipnir is the one most commonly used for PvP. The Ishtar and Gilaboth really require Gallente Cruiser V, which helps unlock the Arazu/Lachesis, everyone's favorite combat recons. The Tengu shares Caldari Cruiser V with the Falcon, which is awesome, but the Caldari HACs are only rarely used by NYAN, and never by anyone else :P

The Legion is best with lasers, but can do HAMs, and shares prereqs with the Curse/Pilgrim for neut/td recon madness, and the Zealot for AHAC doctrines outside the Uni.
Last edited by Axel Defour on 2013.01.18 18:15, edited 1 time in total.
<<

James Arget

Portrait

Post 2013.01.18 17:22

Axel Defour wrote:Edit: For PvP dual use, the Sleipnir is the one most commonly used for PvP. It also requires Logi 4, I believe, so you can PvP in a Guardian or Basilisk if you get those cruisers to V at some point.

That's the Claymore, Sleipnir requires HAC IV.

I'll +1 Sleipnir as a really nice ship. Actually, +1 to everything he said. Ishtar/Gila is a really nice boat for solo pve, even more so since the addition of drone damage amps.
<<

Daniel Wittaker

Portrait

Post 2013.01.18 17:29

You have to break down PvE into different areas in order to talk about it.

Tengus and Legions are both okay for soloing C1/C2 wormholes. I believe the Gila also works. You can actually run these sites in a Drake, or (I believe) a Hurricane, but it's slow and painful.

For L4 missioning, a heavily-pimped HAMgu works, but there's no reason to use it over a Machariel, which will cost the same and probably require about the same skills. And if you're running Amarr agents in Amarr space, then the Nightmare is the only way to fly once you get past the T1 BS.

Explo, I dunno, probably Tengu again. All depends on where you do it.

Nullsec ratting/anoms are entirely dependent on what region you're working in. In Fountain and southern Goonspace, you can use full-T2 Nagas and Taloses to pump out 1100 blaster DPS and clear 90-100m isk an hour. But you can't do the same thing in, say, Delve because the Blood Raider rats in Delve will neut the piss out of you. You need to use something like an Abaddon, Armageddon, or Torp Raven. The Maelstrom, Tempest, and Dominix are distant seconds.

Don't shy away from big ships. They're a lot of fun to play. Besides, with Tier3 battlecruisers, you're going to want a T2 large weapon if you stay in K-space, and it's not a particularly long train anyway. It just seems that way now.

I would try and figure out what form of PvP you wanted to take part in (including which null entity you were interested in), and then research what ships you'd need to do PvE out there. Then make those hulls work for iskmaking in the Uni.
<<

Code Iskandar

Portrait

Post 2013.01.19 00:04

thanks for the replies! i guess my main concern for now is, should i go missiles, or turrets.

im planning on flying stealth bombers for pvp eventually and afaik, bombers use torpedoes. that taken into account, should i go deep with missiles first? or just enough for the torpedo (im assuming bombs are not affected by missile skills?), and take up gunnery since it seems to be more flexible in terms of ship choices
<<

Byrune

Portrait

Post 2013.01.19 00:15

Code Iskandar wrote:thanks for the replies! i guess my main concern for now is, should i go missiles, or turrets.

im planning on flying stealth bombers for pvp eventually and afaik, bombers use torpedoes. that taken into account, should i go deep with missiles first? or just enough for the torpedo (im assuming bombs are not affected by missile skills?), and take up gunnery since it seems to be more flexible in terms of ship choices

Don't count on flying solely SBs, they are only really effective in SB only, or blackops fleets. Most of the time you will be flying something else. Now there are some very good missile ships, the drake, hawk, tengu, especially the caracal now are great PvP ships. But most doctrines use turret ships, and there are a lot more of them, so yes those skills are more flexible. And bomb deployment is a missile skill.
I need a new sig
<<

Gunny Fury

Portrait

Post 2013.01.19 05:57

honestly if you have set your self a goal for having fun

go for it, just know that unless you plex, you would have a hard to making it work just by SBing around and killing ratters, the ones worth something are usually in large alliances with good intel, and is usually alert when they rat in some multi bil ship, and with the new mechanics change, you need to change your tactics as well (IE maybe hold off until only large ships are on field, or at least when they killed the frigs and destoyers that ruins your day)

Heavily in missiles works okay, but not the best for making money, like CM ravens / CNR is the bread and butter of boring pve. While torp golem is a very nice way to go if you maxed torps, but know that a golem costs a bil, and then you need a lot of ship skills to pull it off (IE BS V AND marauder IV or V, while usually BS V is more than enough for a CNR / raven route)
<<

Code Iskandar

Portrait

Post 2013.01.19 10:24

well after giving it a lot of thought and from the replies here, i think i will go with turret weapons first, specifically projectiles. seems to more flexible if i want to pvp. any recommendation on which ship to aim for for ratting/ded plex with projectiles? preferrably something that i can shield tank with (since i've got those trained already). gila's special bonus would be wasted and it doesnt use minmatar cruiser skills, while ishtar is armor tanking (although im very interested in flying one of those some day)
<<

Daniel Wittaker

Portrait

Post 2013.01.19 14:58

For hiseccing, both the Cynabal and the Loki are viable options. The Cyclone and Hurricane are both solid choices for getting started. I agree, missile skills are significantly less-useful than in the past, with the Drake losing a lot of popularity. It's still used, but it's nowhere near as common as it used to be.

What kind of PvP do you want to get into? If you get into sovnull, you're going to want to train the local preferred ratting weapon into Large T2, which will also likely be in a lot of PvP doctrines.
<<

Code Iskandar

Portrait

Post 2013.01.20 12:58

i've steered my training plan towards t2 fitting a hurricane for the moment. been reading some posts on eve forums about ratting in a SB, seems fun, so might work towards that next. The ninja plex guide link in the other thread about solo ishtar has also made me really tempted about getting in one of those asap, although im not so sure if its still the best considering the drone changes.. :?
<<

Daniel Wittaker

Portrait

Post 2013.01.20 16:13

T2 Hurricane is awesome, really. You won't regret it. As for solo ratting SBs....eehhhhhhhhhh...I did it once, to recover sec status, and ended up just fitting out a passive Rupture instead. And this was back before the cruiser rebalance.

Return to Questions & Answers